College Football is officially a joke

If you think all the whining will stop, you're kidding yourself. There will only be more teams whining instead of the 1-2 we've had.

Everyone thinks the expanded playoff will be the panacea, but what it's likely to be for the most part are a bunch of blowouts resulting in the 4-5 teams everyone knew would be the final four. This ain't March Madness.
24, like the FCS, is best.

Let's be objective here from multiple angles. All you can do is play a tough OOC schedule, and win your conference games. On paper, FSU OOC schedule would've been potentially formidable - LSU and Florida. Florida is not playing like the Florida powerhouse of the past, and LSU is only the 5th best team in the SEC. They won all of their conference games but the real issue is a weak ACC is not respected this year. Let's face it, Louisville isn't the 14/15 best team in the country regardless of what the rankings say and that is the ACC's 2nd best team.
LSU isn’t the 5th best team. They beat MO at MO and lost in a late play at Ole Miss. They’re likely the 3rd best team but them and Ole Miss are basically about the same.

Actually people are mad because the committee is talking out of both sides of their mouth. On one hand they say it’s the 4 best teams but where’s UGA then?
That’s exactly the issue and why so many are upset. Nobody would disagree that Bama is better than FSU at the moment but that’s never been the way they picked teams. Inconsistency and making up criteria as they go along are the issues in addition to sucking up to the SEC and Nick Saban. It’s a farce and the committee has lost what little credibility they might have had.

I agree with the post that FSU should walk out of the Orange Bowl right before kickoff if they could afford it. That would send a message to the powers that be. Won’t happen but I wish with every fiber of my being that they would do it. And I think 75% of the fans in this country would applaud them.

LSU isn’t the 5th best team. They beat MO at MO and lost in a late play at Ole Miss. They’re likely the 3rd best team but them and Ole Miss are basically about the same.

They are what their record says they are.

They are what their record says they are.
So why are they 5th best? Because they lost an OOC game? They had the same 6-2 conference record as Ole Miss and Missouri but they beat Missouri at Missouri so I guess that means they’re no worse than 4th. Great point you made about the record!

If you think all the whining will stop, you're kidding yourself. There will only be more teams whining instead of the 1-2 we've had.

Everyone thinks the expanded playoff will be the panacea, but what it's likely to be for the most part are a bunch of blowouts resulting in the 4-5 teams everyone knew would be the final four. This ain't March Madness.
But at least the deserving teams will be there unlike this year. And if a 2 loss #12 seed team runs through the playoffs and wins then great for them. They earned it.

The ACC had a winning record against the SEC and Pac12 this year though. FSU beat 2 SEC teams on the road. What more could they do? Schedule a 3rd P5 team?

It's the overall schedule that is the issue. Their overall schedule strength was #55. That's absurdly bad. You can't isolate it to two or three games -- look at the toll an SEC schedule takes. Just relentless strong teams.

Alabama's was #5. Insanely good.

Yours was a very respectful #14.

Reactions: feathersax
And Bama should’ve lost to Auburn, barely beat Arkansas and looked horrible against South Florida. That game was 10-3 until Bama punched in a TD with 33 seconds left in the game.
So you are predicting fsunto beat uga?

That’s exactly the issue and why so many are upset. Nobody would disagree that Bama is better than FSU at the moment but that’s never been the way they picked teams. Inconsistency and making up criteria as they go along are the issues in addition to sucking up to the SEC and Nick Saban. It’s a farce and the committee has lost what little credibility they might have had.

I agree with the post that FSU should walk out of the Orange Bowl right before kickoff if they could afford it. That would send a message to the powers that be. Won’t happen but I wish with every fiber of my being that they would do it. And I think 75% of the fans in this country would applaud them.

For an hour.

And forever after that they'd be known as whiners.

So you are predicting fsunto beat uga?

Depends on who elects to play.

I promise you that if FSU has a number of players skip the game and they lose the FSU faithful will speculate they could have won had they played.

And if UGA has players skip it and FSU wins, FSU fans will say "see, we were underestimated!"

FSU is in the cat bird's seat for playing victim. They'll over do it, I promise you.

Reactions: perico
Depends on who elects to play.

I promise you that if FSU has a number of players skip the game and they lose the FSU faithful will speculate they could have won had they played.

And if UGA has players skip it and FSU wins, FSU fans will say "see, we were underestimated!"

FSU is in the cat bird's seat for playing victim. They'll over do it, I promise you.
Uga will curb stomp fsu and it don't matter who plays.

Wrong. We don't need 12 teams in the playoff--it's nonsense. We've had mostly blowouts in the title games with four teams. 12 teams is just another greed/money driven gimmick--period.
I agree with Coach Mike Leach RIP too soon, and say we need 16 or maybe even 64 teams.

I disagree that it would make the regular season meaningless. It would actually make ALL the bowl games actually mean something.

That probably will never happen though.

Agree. If the "committee" (how sick of that term is everyone?) said from the get-go "we're going to select the four teams we feel will provide the most competitive and compelling playoff" without any of the bullschiit nods towards any of the alleged critria, which they have contradicted over and over again, there would be none of this outrage. Disappointment? Certainly. But not feeling as you've been cheated in broad daylight, which is what they're feeling in Tallahassee today.

It's the overall schedule that is the issue. Their overall schedule strength was #55. That's absurdly bad. You can't isolate it to two or three games -- look at the toll an SEC schedule takes. Just relentless strong teams.

Alabama's was #5. Insanely good.

Yours was a very respectful #14.
Yes, their SOS was supposedly 55th but it was 54th before they played Louisville so the fact they lost a spot playing the 14th ranked team that was 10-2 tells me those rankings probably aren’t great to put all your faith in. And I’d think SOS matters when separating teams on equal footing. Bama having a loss means they weren’t on equal footing with FSU. I don’t think the schedule difference alone is enough to make that up.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I still would like for some of you to define how to determine BEST. All of the Bama and Georgia is the best is SEC BIAS just like Michigan, Ohio State and PSU is the BEST is B1G BIAS. Everyone complains about B1G BIAS but then turns around and does the same thing with the SEC. The CFP playoff is to determine who is REALLY the BEST. If you put the same teams there year after year after year - and that is how you define your BEST, no other team will ever be the BEST in your eyes, because they are not given the chance to prove it.

It is all speculation and based on what happened last year. Well, this isn't LAST year, this is 2023 - teams have different personal. The 2022 version of BAMA would completely dominate the 2023 version of BAMA and the same is probably true for Georgia. Yet they still have the BEST label, because of 2022.

Bama was not selected because they were considered one of the FOUR BEST teams. They were selected because the committee felt they could not leave out the SEC for $$$$$$$ reasons and they couldn't take Georgia. That is the reason. And because of that they had to shaft one team. Texas was not an option. Neither was Washington. They had a "reason" (hurt QB) they could use against FSU.

I will be glad for the 12-team playoff because it will give ALL P5 conferences and some of the non P5 conferences an opportunity for their BEST team to prove ON THE FIELD who is really the BEST.

Yes, their SOS was supposedly 55th but it was 54th before they played Louisville so the fact they lost a spot playing the 14th ranked team that was 10-2 tells me those rankings probably aren’t great to put all your faith in. And I’d think SOS matters when separating teams on equal footing. Bama having a loss means they weren’t on equal footing with FSU. I don’t think the schedule difference alone is enough to make that up.

SOS is also full of SEC and BlG bias.

Reactions: hUTch2002

Alabama's loss was to #3 Texas. Add that to the SOS issue and I have to disagree with you. I do think it should matter.

Consider NCAA basketball tournament seeding. Schedule strength is a huge part of that.

VN Store

Back