Colorado’s chaotic culture

Miami and Oklahoma were probably as out of control as Colorado if not more in the 80s.

Without social media, a lot of stuff back in the day didn't get publicized.

With a jackass like Dione, instead of reporting the nonsense and sending the problem children to jail, the good kids are expected to keep quiet and tolerate it so the coach can win games.

We ought to lock up the enablers, whether they’re helping gang members to play football or if they’re involved in trafficking. It only works because someone who we treat as clean and wholesome is covering for them.

Reactions: Pennheel
Deion is all flash with no substance. It’s not going to translate to results on the field and soon he’ll be just another fired coach
It will take a lot for Deion to get fired at Colorado. He’s brought so much money and attention to a school that was 1-11 the year before he got there, that will go a long way IMO. That said, they need to beat North Dakota State that first weekend or else it could get really ugly in Boulder . NDSU is a complete 180 from Colorado in terms of culture and success. Deion has to be furious that they are on the schedule. That’s a lose/lose kind of game on the schedule .

Miami and Oklahoma were probably as out of control as Colorado if not more in the 80s.

Colorado, under Bill McCartney, was just as out of control in the late 80s/early 90s.

It will take a lot for Deion to get fired at Colorado. He’s brought so much money and attention to a school that was 1-11 the year before he got there, that will go a long way IMO. That said, they need to beat North Dakota State that first weekend or else it could get really ugly in Boulder . NDSU is a complete 180 from Colorado in terms of culture and success. Deion has to be furious that they are on the schedule. That’s a lose/lose kind of game on the schedule .
If he’s fostering a terrible environment that actively encourages violence then that’s a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Sounds like he's treating his program like an NFL team. These are college kids, not NFL stars, at least not yet anyway. And it also sounds like he has no interest in developing players.

Reactions: PA Vol
If he’s fostering a terrible environment that actively encourages violence then that’s a lawsuit waiting to happen.
I’m just mean that he will be given every opportunity to make any corrections or changes he needs to make, when most coaches may be fired.

The first 3 games and the hype that created alone might have paid for his entire contract.

They had absolutely nothing to lose by hiring him and unless there is some kind of Baylor-esque scandal that occurs on his watch, I don't think there's a circumstance where they'd regret hiring him.

They weren't failures, Colorado seems to be turning into that. We will see though. The Big12 is weaker than Pac12 schedule they played last year.

Sure you do. AD Rick George hired him. If it fails he looks bad. He’s hoping it all turns out great and he will look like a genius.
To be fair, I think that program needed a "hail mary" type of high risk/high reward hire like Deion. That program was quickly sinking into nothingness. I don't fault the AD for taking a chance on Deion, even if it doesn't work out. At least he tried SOMETHING to Jumpstart the program.

To be fair, I think that program needed a "hail mary" type of high risk/high reward hire like Deion. That program was quickly sinking into nothingness. I don't fault the AD for taking a chance on Deion, even if it doesn't work out. At least he tried SOMETHING to Jumpstart the program.
The issue is the chances for failure are way higher than any benefit. Is it worth it for this attention for a dude whose ceiling at this level is going to be 7 wins?

Remember when everyone was scared that Deon would replace Saban and get all the 5 stars?

I’m just mean that he will be given every opportunity to make any corrections or changes he needs to make, when most coaches may be fired.
I think if he doesn’t have real sustained success soon then it won’t matter that they had three wins against overhyped teams and became a flash in the pan media sensation.

It’s one thing to foster this kind of environment if you are Nick Saban, it’s another thing entirely if your mouth is writing checks your can’t actually cash

Craig James got Mike Leach fired for less on a more successful team.
Also #CJK5H
I think if he doesn’t have real sustained success soon then it won’t matter that they had three wins against overhyped teams and became a flash in the pan media sensation.

It’s one thing to foster this kind of environment if you are Nick Saban, it’s another thing entirely if your mouth is writing checks your can’t actually cash

He’s getting checks written is my point . His influence goes well beyond the football field. How much more $ was brought to Boulder businesses last season bc of Deion and all of his bs? A helluva lot.

People always questioned Saban’s worth at Bama . They were both right and wrong . Saban was probably worth about $20 million per at Bama by the amount out of state applications that were increased during his time there.

Deion will never be let go unless someone is murdered . He will quit or take a job somewhere else. This is not me sticking up for Deion or what Colorado is doing, but more of an observation on the priorities of college athletics right now.

The issue is the chances for failure are way higher than any benefit. Is it worth it for this attention for a dude whose ceiling at this level is going to be 7 wins?
I don't think they care about what failure is for him there; they went 1-11 the season before he got there. They were in a unique spot. It was totally worth it (for them) to hire him purely for the hype and attention.

The hype train that lasted all of 3 games last season was more attention that they've gotten since at least the late 90s; maybe even since 1990 when they split a title.

I don't think they care about what failure is for him there; they went 1-11 the season before he got there. They were in a unique spot. It was totally worth it (for them) to hire him purely for the hype and attention.

The hype train that lasted all of 3 games last season was more attention that they've gotten since at least the late 90s; maybe even since 1990 when they split a title.
But at the end of the day will it actually make them money, since that's the goal?

Reactions: adam.vol
But at the end of the day will it actually make them money, since that's the goal?
Already has.

I think the entire calculus behind the hire was "there's a chance this doesn't work, but we can't get any worse anyway, and even if we're bad he'll attract eyeballs."

I will say though that they can't keep dropping games they're supposed to win (like Stanford last year) and they don't need to get destroyed by the teams they're clearly worse than. Deion is a great self-promoter and marketer, but he does have to win at some kind of a base level for it to be entertaining. It has to be plausibly believed that he can deliver once in a while. If he runs his mouth and can't occasionally deliver, then even the people who love him will think he's a fool at that point.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back