Colorado Springs nightclub shooting

zeppelin128

This is the Way.
Police continue to investigate after a gunman killed five people and injured 18 others at an LGBTQ nightclub late Saturday in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Seventeen people were injured by gunshots, while another victim sustained other injuries, police said Monday afternoon.

At least one other person and likely many others were victims with no visible injuries, police said. Police earlier said 25 people were injured.

Police on Monday released the names of those killed: Daniel Aston, Kelly Loving, Raymond Green Vance, Derrick Rump and Ashley Green Paugh.

Three victims are in stable condition at Penrose Hospital in Colorado Springs, its CEO said on Monday.

Officials have identified Anderson Lee Aldrich, 22, as the suspect. He was taken into custody shortly after arriving on site at Club Q and is being treated at a local hospital as of Monday afternoon.

The attack comes six years after the deadliest attack on the LGBTQ community in modern U.S. history, when a gunman killed 49 people and wounded 53 others at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Fla.

Colorado Springs Police Chief Adrian Vasquez said the gunman began shooting as soon as he entered the nightclub.

According to authorities, two patrons, Richard Fierro and Thomas James, helped subdue the gunman, which the chief described as heroic.

"We owe them a great debt of thanks," he said at a news conference Sunday.

Colorado Springs Mayor John Suthers told NPR that one of the patrons "took the handgun from the [shooter] and hit him with the handgun to disable him."

The gunman targeted the club the night before Transgender Day of Remembrance, which occurs annually on Nov. 20 to honor victims of anti-trans violence.

The day of remembrance had its start in 1999, when LGBTQ rights advocate Gwendolyn Ann Smith helped organize a vigil for transgender women Rita Hester and Chanelle Pickett of Massachusetts. Both were women of color.

Among those who were fatally shot on Saturday was Daniel Aston, 28, a transgender man who bartended and frequently performed at Club Q. Aston loved 1980s music and hats, his mother told Colorado Public Radio.

She admitted that in the past, she was often worried of her son being targeting for being transgender.

"I always worried about it," she said. "He's a trans man and the trans community are really the biggest targets I can think about it right now."

Although the investigation is in its early stages, Vasquez said it's not lost on him that shooting took place in a LGBTQ nightclub and on the eve of Transgender Day of Remembrance. He added that those details will be taken seriously.

What we know so far about the Colorado Springs shooting

Glad the two people stepped up, sounds like they definitely saved some lives. I wouldnt treat the shooter until all the victims had recieved care.

RIP to all the victims. May the after life provide you more comfort than you found in this life.

Reading up on this story seems a bit weird. The DA has sealed the arrest warrant because some of the information that may come out of it may prove harmful to the investigation.

Ah I see it was a past arrest warrant for someone with the same exact name and right age from a year ago. Veteran Subdued Gunman in Colorado Club Where 5 Were Killed
"Law enforcement have not commented on the arrest last year of a man with the same name and date of birth as the suspect who the police said threatened to hurt his mother with a homemade bomb."

So yet another that was known to local authorities.

Two law enforcement sources told CNN records show Aldrich purchased both weapons brought to the attack, an AR-style rifle and a handgun.

Prior to Saturday’s shooting, the suspect was arrested in June 2021 in connection with a bomb threat that led to a standoff at his mother’s home, according to a news release from the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office at the time and his mother’s former landlord.

Two law enforcement sources confirmed the suspect in Saturday’s shooting and the bomb threat were the same person based on his name and date of birth.

Sheriff’s deputies responded to a report by the man’s mother that he was “threatening to cause harm to her with a homemade bomb, multiple weapons, and ammunition,” according to the release. Deputies called the suspect, and he “refused to comply with orders to surrender,” the release said, leading them to evacuate nearby homes.

Several hours after the initial police call, the sheriff’s crisis negotiations unit was able to get Aldrich to leave the house, and he was arrested. Authorities at the time did not find any explosives in the home.

The two law enforcement sources who said the suspect purchased the firearms also told CNN his arrest over a bomb threat would not have shown up in background checks because the case was never adjudicated, the charges were dropped, and the records were sealed. It is not clear what led to the sealing of the records, they said.

As grief grips Colorado Springs after a mass shooting at an LGBTQ nightclub, officials are investigating whether it was a bias-motivated crime | CNN

Where's Volgr to blame it on the gays. If they'd have stayed in the closet this never would have happened. I guess it is part of the societal decay Volgr believe to be caused by gays.

Reactions: Septic
A bomb threat, threatens his mother and a standoff with police previously? Clearly an unstable individual. Wondering why this guy wasn’t already in jail? One of the common themes in these shootings, often times, seems to be that law enforcement already had these people on their radar from prior arrests/incidents.

The two law enforcement sources who said the suspect purchased the firearms also told CNN his arrest over a bomb threat would not have shown up in background checks because the case was never adjudicated, the charges were dropped, and the records were sealed. It is not clear what led to the sealing of the records, they said.

Nothing to see here. Move along

Bomb threat, police stand-off, whole 9 yards - can still legally purchase a gun.

Yeah, gun laws are totally fine.

A bomb threat, threatens his mother and a standoff with police previously? Clearly an unstable individual. Wondering why this guy wasn’t already in jail? One of the common themes in these shootings, often times, seems to be that law enforcement already had these people on their radar from prior arrests/incidents.
"He was on our radar," says police after dude murders 5 people.

Reactions: Vol737
Yeah, it’s completely unbelievable. I appreciate law enforcement, but they’re whiffing on a number of these guys.

Edit: It’s either that or our courts aren’t doing their job. A bit of both, I imagine.
Dude threatened his mother with a bomb. Had a standoff with police. And then legally purchased the arms he used to murder five people.

All of that fell through the cracks.

Dude threatened his mother with a bomb. Had a standoff with police. And then legally purchased the arms he used to murder five people.

All of that fell through the cracks.
No it didnt fall through the cracks. State law seals the records if no charges are pressed. That sealing, done on purpose, is not a crack. It's just yet another example of idealism getting in the way of practicality.

Yeah, it’s completely unbelievable. I appreciate law enforcement, but they’re whiffing on a number of these guys.

Edit: It’s either that or our courts aren’t doing their job. A bit of both, I imagine.
Ding Ding Ding... we have a winner! The SWAT team showed up, so I don't think we can lay this on the LEO, it's up to a DA and the courts to keep these individuals "restrained"

Reactions: Ttucke11 and Vol737
Where's Volgr to blame it on the gays. If they'd have stayed in the closet this never would have happened. I guess it is part of the societal decay Volgr believe to be caused by gays.

Show me you are losing the argument without actually showing me....

What do you mean by that statement?
Why would charges from a bomb threat and swat standoff be dropped? Why would the state want to seal those records and make them inaccessible to a background check? Nothing about this says anything fell through the cracks. These were purposeful acts

VN Store

Back