Commercials you can't stand

Off topic, but when did Applebees become the Nickelback of restaurants? I hardly ever eat there, but this seems to be the general consensus that has sprung up in the last 2 or 3 years.

I've only eaten there like maybe three times, and it was nothing special, but it now seems like the place everyone loves to hate. Is it really that bad, or is it just another internet bandwagon thing?

My wife used to work there when she was in college, and she's never mentioned it being any different than other restaurants she worked in.

Off topic, but when did Applebees become the Nickelback of restaurants? I hardly ever eat there, but this seems to be the general consensus that has sprung up in the last 2 or 3 years.

I've only eaten there like maybe three times, and it was nothing special, but it now seems like the place everyone loves to hate. Is it really that bad, or is it just another internet bandwagon thing?

My wife used to work there when she was in college, and she's never mentioned it being any different than other restaurants she worked in.

I read something once that Applebee’s chooses locations close to Wal-Marts, so I’m sure you get a similar crowd at both.

Also, they have chicken wings covered in Cheeto dust, and no chicken deserves that.

Last edited:
Reactions: CardsNVols

Kind of feel the same way. Have only been a few times in the last few years, but something is just off with them.

I think it is some of both. I remember going there as a kid and thinking it was pretty good. I never thought of it as a "nice" restaurant as a kid, but I also thought of it as a clear step up from something like Sizzler or a buffet. The last time I ate at one was probably close to 15 years ago, and I thought it was pretty bad. I didn't even get anything complicated, I think maybe it was a burger or ribs, and it just didn't taste good. You have a tendency to remember things you did as a kid as being better than what they were, so I don't know if that is the case or if their quality has gone down that much. When I last ate there, the food was no better than the food you'd get at a buffet, plus it was more expensive.

The biggest reason why people hate on them though, IMO, is what WestTennesseeVol alluded to. There's a certain segment of people that like to dunk on Applebees (and similar-type chain restaurants) because of the crowd that goes there. Non-PC, but it is definitely a lower middle class, they go there because they think this is where people with money eat crowd. It seems like it started to become the Nickelback of restaurants probably 10-15 years ago, and they've actually embraced it (it's a punchline in Talladega Nights).

There's a certain segment of people that like to dunk on Applebees (and similar-type chain restaurants) because of the crowd that goes there. Non-PC, but it is definitely a lower middle class, they go there because they think this is where people with money eat crowd. It seems like it started to become the Nickelback of restaurants probably 10-15 years ago, and they've actually embraced it (it's a punchline in Talladega Nights).

That makes sense. I'm originally from a small town that didn't even really have chain restaurants besides the Mickey D's fast food type of places, so as a kid I never had anything to compare Applebees to. Hell, Applebees probably WOULD have seemed fancy when we were growing up lol.

That makes sense. I'm originally from a small town that didn't even really have chain restaurants besides the Mickey D's fast food type of places, so as a kid I never had anything to compare Applebees to. Hell, Applebees probably WOULD have seemed fancy when we were growing up lol.
It could be rosy retrospection, but I'm tempted to say it was nicer when I was a young kid (20-25 years ago). I still enjoy eating occasionally at some of the casual restaurants of my youth, particularly Chili's. The quality of their food doesn't seem to have declined as much.

However the real reason people like to dunk on them is so they can feel superior to the people who eat there. Just like Nickelback is enjoyed mostly by a crowd that hipsters and such think have no taste in music. There are places out there that have worse food than Applebee's I'm sure, but they aren't the punchline that Applebee's is.

Last edited:
It could be rosy retrospection, but I'm tempted to say it was nicer when I was a young kid (20-25 years ago). I still enjoy eating occasionally at some of the casual restaurants of my youth, particularly Chili's. The quality of their food doesn't seem to have declined as much.

However the real reason people like to dunk on them is so they can feel superior to the people who eat there. Just like Nickelback is enjoyed mostly by a crowd that hipsters and such think have no taste in music. There are places out there that have worse food than Applebee's I'm sure, but they aren't the punchline that Applebee's is.

As a kid, I thought O’Charlies was the standard for fine dining in America. Then I went back as an adult and realized how bad and overpriced it was.

The rolls were still banging though.

Chili’s was the jam back in the day. Still not bad, but I always look fondly at their Wings Over Buffalo. Also, if you went to UTK or visited around 2003-2007, the Chili’s on the Strip was amazing. That was the Vroom Vroom party starter with 99 cent drafts from 4-8. Pretty much a staple to start our Friday nights.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Chili’s was the jam back in the day. Still not bad, but I always look fondly at their Wings Over Buffalo. Also, if you went to UTK or visited around 2003-2007, the Chili’s on the Strip was amazing. That was the Vroom Vroom party starter with 99 cent drafts from 4-8. Pretty much a staple to start our Friday nights.
They still do have the 2 for 1 on draft beer every day, which isn't a bad deal at all. When we go to football games, if we don't tailgate in the parking lot, we'll stop at Chili's. It's pretty good. And every time I eat there I think of this

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
They still do have the 2 for 1 on draft beer every day, which isn't a bad deal at all. When we go to football games, if we don't tailgate in the parking lot, we'll stop at Chili's. It's pretty good. And every time I eat there I think of this

It was 2 for 1s that’s right. I thought it had closed. Glad to know it’s still there. Good Ole Fat Bastard

Reactions: 05_never_again
Has anyone else seen the commercial with the couple discussing where to eat before nearly rear ending a taco truck?

Him: sushi?
Her: has sushi for lunch
Him: something else
Her: no
Him: seafood
Her: you know I don’t eat seafood

Wait, didn’t she have sushi? Morons.

Has anyone else seen the commercial with the couple discussing where to eat before nearly rear ending a taco truck?

Him: sushi?
Her: has sushi for lunch
Him: something else
Her: no
Him: seafood
Her: you know I don’t eat seafood

Wait, didn’t she have sushi? Morons.

Not all sushi has seafood in it

Any of the Corona commercials with Snoop and Andy Samberg. They run this particular commercial over and over and over......

Reactions: Jackcrevol
If you vape, you could be inhaling toxic metals into you lungs.
Plus the new Instacart ads on YouTube

If you vape, you could be inhaling toxic metals into you lungs.
Plus the new Instacart ads on YouTube

TN governor Bill Lee's relelection commercial. I think he only has one.
Talks about how everything in the world sucks, but in TN everything is great.
It's on every 5-10 minutes in the morning in Nashville.

VN Store

Back