Congratulations to our Oregon visitors and the Vol Nation for their mutual respect

You're joking, right?

Coming from the West coast, I can say that Oregon fans are some of the most classless, obnoxious fans in the Pac 12. They are a lot like Florida was in the 90's, having only recently discovering winning football. I'm glad that UT fans rolled out the red carpet for them, but I would be shocked to see them do the same for us.

I realize that growing up in Washington, and being a fan of Washington puts me in a difficult position... As a Vol alumni I want to think that Vol fans will be treated well, but I've seen how they act against their conference rivals, and it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

I'll admit that after the arrogant behavior of husky fans over the years, I'm not inclined to be quite so nice when it comes to the husky fans. They've earned all the treatment they get from Duck and Beaver and Coug fans. Notice a trend?

The University of Washington voted Oregon out of the 1948 Rose Bowl and in the late 70s they lobbied the PAC-8 to drop Oregon and WSU. I believe they have also campaigned to have OSU dropped from the conference as well. Ask yourselves WHY?

Ewww the evil ducky comes out in post 666! :lolabove:

We understand.....we play this team yearly called Alabama. Some teams you just got to hate.

Reactions: 4 people
I'll admit that after the arrogant behavior of husky fans over the years, I'm not inclined to be quite so nice when it comes to the husky fans. They've earned all the treatment they get from Duck and Beaver and Coug fans. Notice a trend?

The University of Washington voted Oregon out of the 1948 Rose Bowl and in the late 70s they lobbied the PAC-8 to drop Oregon and WSU. I believe they have also campaigned to have OSU dropped from the conference as well. Ask yourselves WHY?

They despise dark meat?...

I wish i could go to this game.

That said, while I appreciate all of the let's be nice to the UT fans stuff, I've been to road games at UGA, Florida, LSU, Bama, and South Carolina.

The fans in Eugene wouldn't rustle my feathers like those places.

Hope everyone who goes has fun.
/jealous

Reactions: 2 people
We dont play them enough nor have they been a good team long enough for this rivalry to matter.

But I also agree alot of our fans are gutless.

We dont play them enough nor have they been a good team long enough for this rivalry to matter.

But I also agree alot of our fans are gutless.

The older I get the less vinegar I have.. I prefer enjoying myself instead of talking shat to strangers. Buddies are wide open though.

Reactions: 5 people
My husband is a Duck, and living out west, it is much easier to go to the Duck games, so I have been to a few. Honestly, I think USC fans are the worse!! ASU fans are a close second. I've been in the Ducks section @ Autzen, and there are a few jerks, but most of the people around those jerks shut them up. I am looking forward to going to Autzen as a proud Vol!!!

Got to back you up on the ASU fans. Will never forget how a bunch mocked University of Arizona's Steve Kerr about his dad who had been killed by terrorist in the Lebanon hostage incident during the Reagan administration. "Steve! Steve! Where's your dad!?" they yelled over and over. Never got over those protoplasmic pus-pods doing this.

Reactions: 3 people
I have a feeling our fan base will be pretty tame and quite jovial. An unexpected mellow mood will ascend to them from the student section.

Ewww the evil ducky comes out in post 666! :lolabove:

We understand.....we play this team yearly called Alabama. Some teams you just got to hate.

LOL, yea, it's there........... I sort of save it for the taildraggers. As they say, keep them away from grannie's leg, off the white carpet and spread newspapers if you have to let one in the house.

Even better that it was my 666 post. Must be natural Karma brought out by our northern four legged flea transport systems.

Our fans are wimps, that's why there's mutual respect. Our fans are too cowardly to stand behind our Vols.

It's easy to find common ground when you both think the Ducks are going to flatten the Vols.

Screw the Ducks - we win by 32.

Vols 56- Ducks 24

Hogwash!! You can support the Big Orange with every fiber of your being without feeling the need to antagonize or trash talk the opposition. "Cowardice" has absolutely nothing to do with this, and the outcome of this particular game really isn't germane to the fact that many Oregon fans genuinely appreciated the hospitality they received in 2010. I ran across this information on their message board and simply wanted to share it with fellow Volunteers to let them know that they made a very positive impression on members of the Oregon faithful who attended our previous game.

Reactions: 8 people
Actually Oregon fans tend to remind me of Tennessee fans. They like to drink (which is always a plus). Like to have a great time (refer back to the drinking). Love their team. Can be loud and obnoxious. Are quite hospitable.

Unless you are one of their hated rivals.......then all bets are off.

Sounds like Tennessee to me.

Reactions: 9 people
:hi: I heard only good things from our fans returning from Knoxville, and this is one of the best CFB boards I've found. Thanks for putting up with me and please enjoy your visit to Eugene!

We don't put up with you. You are a good contributor to this board and as I said win or lose come Sunday morning ill wish the ducks the best of luck the remainder of the season. Now PortlandDuck on the other hand....

If any of you are looking for a clean and well run Oregon message board check out ducksattack.com and go the forum(C4Q). We love to have opposing teams fans visit the site. Lots of good information to be had in a non hostile environment and a great place to ask questions if your making the trip out here to Oregon. Hope to see some of you there. No flamers or trolls please!!! Go Ducks!!!

*Note* Re-reading this I realize this sounds like an advertisement... sorry if this comes off that way, just trying to direct some Vols fans to the best Oregon board out there.........

I think overall Oregon is a class program. You don't hear about the players going on TV and running their mouths, the coaches have always been respectful dealing with other programs and the fans appear to be supportive (rabid lol) while not being boisterous.

Also, seems like our program is similar.

Except when they're punching out Boise St. players on national tv.

Our fans are wimps, that's why there's mutual respect. Our fans are too cowardly to stand behind our Vols.

It's easy to find common ground when you both think the Ducks are going to flatten the Vols.

Screw the Ducks - we win by 32.

Vols 56- Ducks 24

Thus says the boy on the internet. Cowardly? HA! I dare say you are least among those who should be calling anyone cowardly.

I had a great time with the Duck fans who were at the game, not so much with the drunk duck girl who puked in front of my hotel room but other than that they were as good or better than any other teams fans i have been around.

GBO

Thanks. That ignoramus poster that calls himself "Portland Duck" gives us all a bad name. We're not all like that arrogant twerp. Can tell you if the team came into the game with his attitude they will be sweeping up duck feathers afterwards.

Tennessee is a huge step up from the last game. HUGE. Most duck fans understand this and give a team with a BCS national championship under its belt the respect it deserves. Even if it's a rebuilding season for Tennessee, we understand you are much better than most of our PAC foes, and that you play a brutal schedule year in and year out against numerous top opponents. Admittedly your schedule is much tougher than ours and we have no right to boast until we start regularly beating SEC teams and winning a national championship.

That being said, I think Oregon is finally running with the big dogs, and it'll only be a matter of time until we win a championship. I know Oregon is champing at the bit to make a statement to the SEC and the nation, to make Alabama and others sit up and take notice. Oregon has much to prove and I think we will come out like monsters and try to prove that against Tennessee. You're a great team and a great team deserves a great effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Awesome read man, thanks for posting. Of course I want our Vols to win, but regardless of the outcome it is only a game, and we are here to impact others lives by the way we live ours. Go Vols!!

Hogwash!! You can support the Big Orange with every fiber of your being without feeling the need to antagonize or trash talk the opposition. "Cowardice" has absolutely nothing to do with this, and the outcome of this particular game really isn't germane to the fact that many Oregon fans genuinely appreciated the hospitality they received in 2010. I ran across this information on their message board and simply wanted to share it with fellow Volunteers to let them know that they made a very positive impression on members of the Oregon faithful who attended our previous game.

There's nothing better than some cheerful, good-natured trash-talking among those who love college football.

Then you have the juvenile, gotta-shock ignorami who have to try to pizz everyone off, and think this makes them big men.

Every fan base has too many of the second, but I'm pretty happy with what I've read from Oregon and the Big Arnj for the first! :salute:

Glad to have y'all here, and I hope we give you the biggest surprise of your lives this coming Saturday!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Just to address people saying our fans are "gutless"... When you grow up you realize acting like a bama fan at a football game is stupid.

Having class and being gutless are two different worlds.

Go to the next big home game and call every one of the 100,000 UT fans that you see gutless. Then post us an update.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Got to back you up on the ASU fans. Will never forget how a bunch mocked University of Arizona's Steve Kerr about his dad who had been killed by terrorist in the Lebanon hostage incident during the Reagan administration. "Steve! Steve! Where's your dad!?" they yelled over and over. Never got over those protoplasmic pus-pods doing this.

That's too much. Kids can be stupid, but that is beyond reprehensible.

Thanks. That ignoramus poster that calls himself "Portland Duck" gives us all a bad name. We're not all like that arrogant twerp. Can tell you if the team came into the game with his attitude they will be sweeping up duck feathers afterwards.

Tennessee is a huge step up from the last game. HUGE. Most duck fans understand this and give a team with a BCS national championship under its belt the respect it deserves. Even if it's a rebuilding season for Tennessee, we understand you are much better than most of our PAC foes, and that you play a brutal schedule year in and year out against numerous top opponents. Admittedly your schedule is much tougher than ours and we have no right to boast until we start regularly beating SEC teams and winning a national championship.

That being said, I think Oregon is finally running with the big dogs, and it'll only be a matter of time until we win a championship. I know Oregon is champing at the bit to make a statement to the SEC and the nation, to make Alabama and others sit up and take notice. Oregon has much to prove and I think we will come out like monsters and try to prove that against Tennessee. You're a great team and a great team deserves a great effort.

You've been running with the "big dogs" for several years now, but, typically, you have to swim in that pool for awhile before the breaks/stars/"football gods" align properly for a national championship to be won. Here's a true story that you may enjoy: In post-game comments following the 1998 Orange Bowl, in which Nebraska beat us, 42-17, Tom Osborne predicted that "Phil [Fulmer] will win a national championship before he is through at Tennessee." Little did we know that his prediction would be fulfilled during the following season.

As for this game, I also have a feeling that Butch Jones is chomping at the bit, personally, to determine how he stacks up, in X's and O's, with an elite program. He knows that we currently have holes on this roster, both in terms of talent and depth, but he is an absolute master when it comes to motivational strategies and getting the last full measure out of his team, and I believe that he truly relishes this opportunity as a measuring stick for himself, his staff and his team.

You're joking, right?

Coming from the West coast, I can say that Oregon fans are some of the most classless, obnoxious fans in the Pac 12. They are a lot like Florida was in the 90's, having only recently discovering winning football. I'm glad that UT fans rolled out the red carpet for them, but I would be shocked to see them do the same for us.

We will treat Vols well. We respect their program. We don't treat huskies well because we don't respect them. We remember your classless treatment of other teams in the PAC back in your heyday. Now look. UW hasn't beat UO in what, about 10 years? :disappointed: We're not even counting anymore because we don't consider you a rival. Stanford is, more or less. Husky fans are just a bunch of disgruntled losers. Your teams' are comparable to WSU's. And your new stadium won't help you when you play us. We'll break it in by breaking your necks.

Last edited:
You've been running with the "big dogs" for several years now, but, typically, you have to swim in that pool for awhile before the breaks/stars/"football gods" align properly for a national championship to be won. Here's a true story that you may enjoy: In post-game comments following the 1998 Orange Bowl, in which Nebraska beat us, 42-17, Tom Osborne predicted that "Phil [Fulmer] will win a national championship before he is through at Tennessee." Little did we know that his prediction would be fulfilled during the following season.

As for this game, I also have a feeling that Butch Jones is chomping at the bit, personally, to determine how he stacks up, in X's and O's, with an elite program. He knows that we currently have holes on this roster, both in terms of talent and depth, but he is an absolute master when it comes to motivational strategies and getting the last full measure out of his team, and I believe that he truly relishes this opportunity as a measuring stick for himself, his staff and his team.

I watched your new coach's press conference regarding Oregon. Impressed. I think he'll do great things for your program, as well as make this a great game. A little worried about those huge SEC defenses. We're smaller so we'll need to be clever in order to deal with them. Tennessee will give us a stern test that I'm looking forward to seeing.

Butch Jones is, in my opinion, the most innovative coach at Tennessee since Doug Dickey assumed the reins way back in 1964. To establish context for that remark, you have to understand that Tennessee was the last major college team in the country to jettison General Neyland's beloved single-wing offense. If Dickey had been hired one year earlier, Steve Spurrier, who was from east Tennessee, almost certainly would have gone to UT. Who knows how the history of Tennessee football would have transpired, had UT, rather than Florida, been Coach Spurrier's alma mater?

In any event, Dickey oversaw Tennessee's transition to the, then, modern offensive era of college football. To really illustrate just how thoroughly Dickey revamped Tennessee's offense, consider the following facts: From 1950 to 1965, no Tennessee player threw more than 79 passes, completed more than 44 attempts, passed for more than 588 yds. or hurled more than 8 touchdown passes. Then, in '66, Dewey Warren attempted 229 passes, threw for 1716 yds., completed 18 touchdown passes, and was the nation's most efficient passer.

During the same period, no Tennessee receiver had caught more than 23 passes or amassed more than 357 yds. receiving in a single season. Then, in 1966, Johnny Mills had 48 receptions for 725 yds. and 4 tds., including a monumental 225-yd. performance against Kentucky, which remains the 3rd most yards in a single game by a Tennessee receiver.

By analogy, you might call that transition comparable to going from a Model T Ford to a Corvette . . . in two years. Dickey ultimately returned to his alma mater, Florida, but not before winning two SEC championships and defeating three consecutive Bear Bryant-coached Alabama teams, an achievement that very few coaches of that period could claim.

I suppose that you could consider this lesson in Tennessee football history a roundabout way of saying you are correct. Given enough time, Butch Jones will accomplish great things at Tennessee. Based on progress to date, he almost certainly will secure a top-5 recruiting class . . . at a school that is coming off of a 5-7 season.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back