1996: Memphis 21, Tennessee 17 :shakehead:

1997: Tennessee 44, Southern Mississippi 20

1998: Tennessee 42, Houston 7

1998: Tennessee 37, Alabama-Birmingham 13

1999: Tennessee 17, Memphis 16

2000: Tennessee 19, Southern Mississippi 16

2000: Tennessee 19, Memphis 17

2001: Tennessee 49, Memphis 28

Looks good... But some of those games just scream of Fulmer ball. Low scores with two point wins. We had better not do that again... DeAngelo Williams is too explosive to try and keep the game close.

Tennessee hasn't lost a season opener since 1994. I know we don't open with Memphis, but we do with a C-USA team.

:cheer:

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 25, 2005 2:16 PM
Looks good... But some of those games just scream of Fulmer ball. Low scores with two point wins. We had better not do that again... DeAngelo Williams is too explosive to try and keep the game close.
[snapback]118098[/snapback]​

Fulmer ball???? If Fulmer ball is .799 win percentage in 13 years I will take it.

Plus 32-14 avg scoring in those USA games listed.

Of course we all know the reason for the close game in 2000...

It was the all orange pumpkin uniforms.

Well, the UAB game will not be a walk in the park. this is their best team in years. Great QB, RBs and they are strong in the trenches. LSU still has a headache from their loss to UAB at Death Valley a couple of years back. IMO our depth will be the biggest single advantage to UT in this game.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 25, 2005 3:16 PM
[snapback]118098[/snapback]​

Milo, the two games in 2000 were a result of having to play freshmen QBs (sound familiar?).

Now the 1999 Memphis game there is no excuse for and the 1996 Memphis game was an absolute abortion of a ballgame (even though we did have a blown call on a kick returner who should have been ruled down that probably cost us the game).

1996 Memphis game :yuck: :realmad: ....
That one still sticks in my head, as the one we had comming!
It should have never been close, let them hang around to long. IMO

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Jul 25, 2005 4:56 PM
Well, the UAB game will not be a walk in the park.  this is their best team in years.  Great QB, RBs and they are strong in the trenches.  LSU still has a headache from their loss to UAB at Death Valley a couple of years back. IMO our depth will be the biggest single advantage to UT in this game.
[snapback]118125[/snapback]​

You know it BHAM. The Blazers will miss Roddy White but they are definitely no cupcake. We'll win but Hackney and company could bite us if we don't respect them. Our secondary better be ready because Hackney has a great arm and throws the deep ball very well.

Memphis is not gonna be good this year. DeAngelo is gonna get punished by our defense if his injury prone self makes it to the game.( they put turf in the liberty toilet bowl) I live in mempiss and all these fans have jumped on the wagon the past 2 years cause Tommy West, (former Vol) has beat a few C-USA teams that they should beat anwyays. Last year they only beat 1 team that had a winning record and that was southern miss. I hope we beat memphis down and cover the spread again like in 01. 49-28 and make our overall record against them 19-1. :gun: :thefinger:

Originally posted by volinbham@Jul 26, 2005 9:30 PM
You know it BHAM.  The Blazers will miss Roddy White but they are definitely no cupcake.  We'll win but Hackney and company could bite us if we don't respect them.  Our secondary better be ready because Hackney has a great arm and throws the deep ball very well.
[snapback]118497[/snapback]​

Hackney is huge... 6-2, 240 lbs. Wouldn't suprise me to see him come back bigger this season. Probably one of the most-difficult quarterback to tackle in the college game today.

Hackney has actually lost cut some of his weight to help him be a bit more mobile. As far as the game, UT probably wont have much trouble executing their offense against our defense. Our offense, however, is very talented and we have alot of depth... even without Roddy White. Reggie Lindsey will probably be one of our "go-to" receivers this year, but overall, our WR corps is pretty deep because we play alot of players so there are lots of guys with significant experience.

I'm afraid Hackney is going to get a face full of M&M's and Triple H. As in Mahelona, McBride and Mitchell plus Harrell, Hall and Haralson

ESPN announcer as UAB quarterback Darrell Hackney stiff-arms a TCU linebacker: "Some quarterbacks get away from pressure like Flutie. Hackney gets away from pressure like GODZILLA!"

At 240-250lbs, Hackney is about the size of many linebackers, so he's not your typical bump-and-fall-down QB.

That is what gets me about Hackney. If your guys o-line sucks, then I am not worried about it but if they are good enough to do a so-so job of holding back our D-line, then Hackney could be very hard to take down. The man is a rock.

We will hang at least 40 on UAB. They ARE a walk in the park for Tennessee. Maybe not Ole Miss or Arkansas but they are for us.

Originally posted by Jmxvol@Jul 29, 2005 7:27 PM
We will hang at least 40 on UAB. They ARE a walk in the park for Tennessee. Maybe not Ole Miss or Arkansas but they are for us.
[snapback]119256[/snapback]​

They are not a walk in the park for UT.

Our OL is pretty good and have traditionally done a good job of protecting Hackney in the past. We didnt lose any OL off of last year's squad. Most average 310-330lbs and are veterans (juniors and seniors).

Here's a little blurb about Hackney's year last year...

[Hackney] threw for a UAB single-season record 3,070 yards and 26 touchdowns as a junior in 2004 in leading the Blazers to a C-USA runner-up finish and a berth in the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl.

Hackney hit 55.0 percent (197-of-358) of his passes last season and recorded two games with more than 400 yards passing (448 vs. Tulane and 417 vs. Hawai'i). He had two other contests in which he surpassed the 300-yard passing mark (398 vs. Memphis and 337 against TCU). He threw five touchdown passes -- all in the opening half -- in the Blazers' win over the Horned Frogs.

We all know UT's defense will be a much greater challenge, but in general, I'm more worried about our defense than offense.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 29, 2005 6:32 PM
They won't be a walk in the park, but I think we still beat the Blazers by two scores at least.
[snapback]119263[/snapback]​

If we beat them by only two scores, I will be extremely pissed off!!!
They were a 5 loss team in CUSA!!!!!!!!!!
We are Tennessee, not Houston

You do realize, my friend, that UAB went TO Athens 2 years ago and was 5ft short of beating then #3 UGA, right? 16-13 was the score. We also beat LSU in 2000 and put a pretty good lick on Miss. St. last year.

VN Store

Back