CPF vs C-USA

Originally posted by Jmxvol@Jul 30, 2005 12:36 PM
Don't you people realize that UAB is here for a paycheck? There is no way they are coming in here and winning. Even if we don't give a crap and don't play hard and look past them, we will still pull one out. We have better depth, better talent, bigger stadium, and better coaching. Even if this game was somehow close at the end, we will get benefit of the doubt calls, the officials won't even let us lose.
As for Memphis not being as good as UAB, didn't Memphis win more games last year?
[snapback]119545[/snapback]​

Even if Memphis had more wins overall, they did NOT have more wins in conference and we surely beat them. Memphis didnt play anybody like a Florida State. UAB has a tradition of playing the big boys (Tenn, Va Tech, Florida, Florida St, Nebraska, etc etc).

And another thing... I dont really know how the bigger stadium really plays into this. UAB doesnt use the audible much, so I'm not terribly concerned about that. And as mentioned, UAB is fairly used to playing in some hostile environments. Maybe you should watch some video of Hackney playing before you so quickly write off UAB. UAB is a very average defense no doubt, but it is definitely an above average offensive team.

And you like to talk about how #3 UGA held on to win despite playing their worst and while we played our best... well... that was not their worst (even their fans admitted that they didnt know how things were so close). AND for most of the game, UAB was playing with our back up QB because Hackney was injured.

Just my opinion, but the margin of victory wont be as large this year as it was the last time we played. I respect UT's program, but if you dont keep it real, you're liable to get burned. Let's not pretend like it never happens.

Due to UAB's defense UT margin of victory will be between 17-21 points

I may offer a different prediction closer to game time, but right now, I'd say the score will be...

UT- 24
UAB- 17

Your QB may be getting a face full of this guy once in a while... Larry McSwain, named to the Bronko Nagurski Watch list like UT's Jason Allen and Jesse Mahelona. UAB's Larry McSwain finished (I believe) 2nd in the NCAA for sacks last year. Our secondary is fairly vulnerable, but our front line can be pretty stout.

78700.jpeg

I'd like to say UAB would win, but not many go into Knoxville and come out with a win. Would be great to be wrong.

Originally posted by Blazer85@Jul 30, 2005 11:10 PM
I may offer a different prediction closer to game time, but right now, I'd say the score will be...

UT- 24
UAB- 17

I'd like to say UAB would win, but not many go into Knoxville and come out with a win.  Would be great to be wrong.
[snapback]119731[/snapback]​

Only a TD margin?? Blazer while I know your a big supporter of your team, UT simply has more of everything and is billed top 5 for a reason. UT by atleast 3 TD's.

Do you really think that your D will hold Tennessee and all it's offensive weapons to only 24 points?

I would predict something a lillt more like 41-17. With all due respect of course.

Again, you all are entitled to think what you will. With all due respect, UT is a team that many are familiar with because of the national exposure you all get. You really dont have a clue what youre getting into with UAB because we dont get the exposure. Most of us probably know more about UT's skill than you guys know about UAB's.

UAB is extremely deep. Some of you probably even think UAB is only a passing team. Nope. We're 3 deep at running back. And when I say that, that doesnt mean we have 3 that are capable of playing... I mean we have 3 that play. With Hackney opening up the passing lanes, it really creates alot of run opportunities.

And BTW, UAB had just one game last year where our offense was held under 20 points (and that was vs. FSU).

Serious question. In your personal opinion, does UT have a stronger defense or offense? And dont just say they're both good. One of the two has to have a leg up on the other.

Originally posted by Blazer85@Jul 30, 2005 11:23 PM
Again, you all are entitled to think what you will.  With all due respect, UT is a team that many are familiar with because of the national exposure you all get.  You really dont have a clue what youre getting into with UAB because we dont get the exposure.  Most of us probably know more about UT's skill than you guys know about UAB's.
[snapback]119742[/snapback]​

I remember UF playing UAB 3 or 4 yrs ago...I think it was 51-3 UF. UAB just doesn't have the horses...sorry bro.

Originally posted by Blazer85@Jul 30, 2005 11:23 PM
And dont just say they're both good.  One of the two has to have a leg up on the other.
[snapback]119742[/snapback]​

I know you don't want this answer, but here it is - they're probably going to be about equal. The difference is that everybody is pretty much ASSUMING that we'll be able to move the football and HOPING that our defense will be as vastly improved as we think it is.

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@Jul 30, 2005 9:30 PM
I remember UF playing UAB 3 or 4 yrs ago...I think it was 51-3 UF. UAB just doesn't have the horses...sorry bro.
[snapback]119745[/snapback]​

3-4 years ago isnt relevant today. We're deeper, more talented, and more experienced than then. We were a very young team going into Florida. This year, we're very heavily junior-senior laden. If you're expecting that kind of game, you'll be in for a surprise.

If we had a new hot-shot head coach that thought he was a world beater, I would give your theory of UAB being unknown some creedence. However, you are going up against the DEAN of SEC coaches. He has been at Tennessee almost twice as long as any other SEC coach at their school. (Ark's Nutt is 8 to Phil's 14) Phil has played you before, and he will NOT overlook you. Not to mention, the staff has had very little turnover as well. Sorry, if your big hope is that Tennessee will overlook you, it's gonna be a long day.

As for which unit is better, I would have to say the Defense. Our defensive front 7 is more than likely the best 7 as one unit, in the country. There are schools that have a better LB core or a better front four, but not both as good as Tennessee's. Our secondary gave up some big plays last season, but we have our best player back to his natural possition, and we have a guy back from injury that we didnt have. We also have guys that now have a year under their belts, and an incoming freshman that would start on most team secondarys in the conference.

The offense is amazing too, but I will give the defense the push, only because the O-line has a hole at center, and the running back has some focus problems as well as not knowing yet who the QB is. That's about as negative as I can get about our offense. There is a reason the Vols are being tabbed top 5 to top 10 in the country and winners of the SEC.

The Blazers will be among the league favorites and get a huge break with Southern Miss at home. However, hopes for a CUSA title rest on surviving three road games in the final four. Opening at Tennessee won't be pretty.
Nastiest Road Game
at Tennessee

Actually there is a reason UT is ranked so high both sides of the ball is loaded

Originally posted by Blazer85@Jul 30, 2005 11:35 PM
3-4 years ago isnt relevant today.  We're deeper, more talented, and more experienced than then.  We were a very young team going into Florida.  This year, we're very heavily junior-senior laden.  If you're expecting that kind of game, you'll be in for a surprise.
[snapback]119749[/snapback]​

My thoughts are that UT is just as strong, deep, and good as the Gators were that yr...thats my basis. But good luck, the game is early and you never can tell.

Well no... I'm not going to get into a big, drawnout ferocious fight about the game because I'm not the type to do that. I have alot of respect for the UT program, but dont just assume that we're going to be a pushover because we're in CUSA. I dont care to get into the BCS vs midmajor debates or the SEC vs CUSA debates, but if any of you really have specific questions about some specific aspect of UAB, I'll be glad to answer. I'm not going to attempt to convince you guys to respect UAB or "watch out" for UAB because I know it wont happen (at least not from many of you).

Well, don't take our lack of "watch out" factor as a sign of our disrespect. We are just being realistic. It's not realistic to be scared of UAB, if you are a program like Tennessee, Florida, So. Cal, Texas, Etc. I haven't seen anyone attack Conf. USA or the Mid-majors yet.

While I think there is a big difference between the conferences, again, it's not because I disrespect you, it is simply a more realistic approach.

Talk about your defense, if you will. I would really like to know why you think that UAB can hold Tennessee to 24 points.

Blazer..no disrespect intended. I enjoy rivals from all over and hope you stick around even after the game for the remainder of the season. :peace2:

Blazer, you will never hear me state that we will "definitely" beat any team. I have read a lot about UAB this summer, enough to make me know that we'd better come ready and play for all four quarters. I just posted CPF's win/loss results against CUSA to ease the preseason jitters all that reading up on UAB gave me.

:laugh1:

Bit of history here, the last (and only time) that we have played UAB was in 1998, during the National Championship run. UAB was our Nov. 7th Homecoming opponent, and we defeated them 37-13. The win moved us from number 2, to number 1 in the polls and the game was one week before the thriller against Arkansas.

Well... one thing I will say is that CUSA has some of the most prolific offenses in the NCAA (statistically speaking). Practicing against such offenses week in and week out can be a definite plus. It all depends on which UAB defense decides to show up. There's the defense that allowed FSU to score 34 points and then there's the defense that allowed UGA to score just 16. Hopefully, the latter of the two will be the defense that shows up in Knoxville.

This not about respect this is about reality and the reality is this is a team that is loaded and a team that knows they have to come out from day 1 in mid season form. While this UAB may be better than the last they played UT, this UT team is alot better than the last time they faced UAB.

This is the type of game that I would probably be a lot more worried about if it was in the middle of the season when we were more prone to coming out flat. I just can't imagine not coming out of the locker room jacked up for this one.

Originally posted by BeltwayVol@Jul 30, 2005 10:02 PM
Didn't you guys lose some people off of "both" of those defenses though?
[snapback]119786[/snapback]​

Last year, we had 3 senior LBs (2 of which are in training camps). They were good, but really fell short in their senior season. They were 3 of the most outstanding LBs in CUSA in their junior season, but something happened to them in the senior year. Not one of them had a particularly good year. If they had been much better, 2 of the 3 would be shoe-ins for the NFL. Aside from them, we have no significant losses. One of the great things about UAB's coaches is that they play LOTS of players when theyre young... even in hostile environments. Lately, that has really been paying off in experience. UAB currently has our best team in school history and we got our best recruiting class in school history this past year so there will be some freshmen that will come in and make an impact.

Ok, so you lost your entire LB core, and you play alot of young guys.

I'm sorry, I don't see those kids holding Tennessee to 24 points. But I am glad you are here. You are one of the good fans. More teams need fans just like you.

VN Store

Back