Culinary, Arts, Thread.

It depends on what Im in the mood for. 5 minutes ago I had 2 cold out of the fridge boiled.

Usually for breakfast with bacon and toast, over easy. On a BLT, fried. On a hamburger, poached.

Sometimes I want some topped with all sorts of cheese, meat or seafood, garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms and peppers and folded over.

Recipe request:

Cabbage rolls

My poor mother keeps getting served stuff she doesn’t eat, which was one of her greatest fears about going into a nursing home (doesn’t eat meat, poultry, fish, cheese, butter, vegetables except greens and potatoes; no, we don’t know how she has lived to age 91), and tonight included cabbage rolls. She wouldn’t touch them, of course, but I gave it a try, and they were AMAZING!

I’ve found some recipes online, including this one Passover Stuffed Cabbage Rolls | The Nosher which seems pretty close, but the interesting thing to me is that is wasn’t ground beef, with all the little beef bb’s. Instead the beef was more shredded, or even puréed. The flavor was incredible. Pretty sure it had crushed matzo (matzoh?), and probably mashed potato; definitely lotsa onion.

I texted hubs (sure would like to be living at home with him again 😞), and he likes cabbage rolls but doesn’t have a recipe. His mom no longer remembers how to make them. Anybody out there have a recipe? Jewish, Polish, Armenian, Eastern European, whatever. Kosher not necessary.

@Orangeslice13 in case this is in yours and Red’s repertoire

What is bb?

I don't care for lamb, but lamb makes the best cabbage roll IMO. And if the one you had contained "lots" of onion, that tells me it was probably lamb, which is strong enough in flavor to handle all the onion without being overwhelmed.

Strawberry. Coconut is one of the few food items I do not like. I don’t like the texture 😀
Same. My siblings and I hate coconut. My aunt loves it. My mom and aunt always go back and forth on my aunt's wedding cake. My aunt claims there was no coconut even though that would be her favorite cake. There was definitely coconut in between the layers, I remember. My mom vividly remembers because my siblings and I never turned down cake at the opportunity, and we all had the same reaction after taking a bite...Spitting it. :D

Reactions: NorCalVol67

VN Store

Back