Culinary, Arts, Thread.

Git me some white fish at cap'n d's, and I like dey hush puppies. Behr's looked good though, I'm tempted to try to make some

Git me some white fish at cap'n d's, and I like dey hush puppies. Behr's looked good though, I'm tempted to try to make some
1 cup cornmeal (138g)
1/2 cup flour (71g)
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg beat it lightly
1/4 diced onion
3/4 cup buttermilk (169g)

My first ones yedterday sucked.

Only difference in the second ones was I weighed the cornmeal, flour and buttermilk and I didn't over mix it like I did the first ones.

Pour the buttermilk and egg together and beat it with a wire wish a good 30 seconds.

Mix all the dry stuff and onions together then pour the buttermilk and egg in the dry mix.

Fold (mix) it just until it's all mixed together. Don't over mix it.

I wasn't paying attention and just glanced at the picture. Remembering you saying something about fajitas, I just thought thats what it was.

I laughed because I now see why you said wtf.

Reactions: theFallGuy
1 cup cornmeal (138g)
1/2 cup flour (71g)
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg beat it lightly
1/4 diced onion

Only difference in the second ones was I weighed the cornmeal, flour and buttermilk and I didn't over mix it like I did the first ones.

Pour the buttermilk and egg together and beat it with a wire wish a good 30 seconds.

Mix all the dry stuff and onions together then pour the buttermilk and egg in the dry mix.

Thanks, I screenshot it.

Reactions: Behr
Thanks, I screenshot it.
It's just a basic recipe but it works. I'd make it just like that and make sure you like them, then make it a couple of more times and get comfortable with it. Then if you want you can start adding other things. Jalapeño, red peppers, creole season, garlic etc. Red pepper is really good.

1 cup cornmeal (138g)
1/2 cup flour (71g)
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg beat it lightly
1/4 diced onion

You said an inch (I think) of grapeseed oil before. What temp, and is it worth messing up a cast-iron skillet, or would heavy stainless work, or something else?

Reactions: GordonC
You said an inch (I think) of grapeseed oil before. What temp, and is it worth messing up a cast-iron skillet, or would heavy stainless work, or something else?
I only had enough for an inch. Lol.

It doesn't matter. Do whatever you want. Just get the oil about 375. Obviously not too hot and not too cool. If it's like 325 and you drop a few in it's gonna cool down but still fry and soak up more oil. I don't like them greasy.

Had 3 hushpuppies leftover. Put them in an airtight container and left them on the counter top. 35 seconds in the microwave and they were excellent. Obviously they weren't crisp, but the flavor was on point.

Special moment in my life. I have finally mastered the Hushpuppy. Lol.

Had 3 hushpuppies leftover. Put them in an airtight container and left them on the counter top. 35 seconds in the microwave and they were excellent. Obviously they weren't crisp, but the flavor was on point.

Special moment in my life. I have finally mastered the Hushpuppy. Lol.
Now you need a puppy to hush. :cool:

Reactions: malinoisvol

VN Store

Back