Cut Day

That is ABSOLUTELY why a FREE education is worth SO MUCH!!! Play ball at UT, Get a degree, now, use your degree to get a very well paying job! Hello?
I agree with you in principle, but universities are pumping out a LOT of graduates with worthless degrees. My best friend went to Kentucky and got some kind of degree in media arts and promptly moved back to a small town and was working at Long John Silvers. Not a ball player, just a kid who wasn’t paying attention to what he could or would do with his degree. He ended up going back to school.

😬

Local NashVegas sports talking heads said this AM that they think Jabari Small will make Titans practice squad. I hope so anyway. He is still listed on their roster, although I don't know how quickly they update it.
John Kelly has made a nice living hanging around in the practice squad in Cleveland and has been active roster some. No shame in that game.

That is ABSOLUTELY why a FREE education is worth SO MUCH!!! Play ball at UT, Get a degree, now, use your degree to get a very well paying job! Hello?
Plenty of college grads (even many with masters degrees) out there who can’t get jobs to pay bills. A diploma doesn’t guarantee a well paying job.

The real problem is that it’s week-to-week, and I’m not sure what kind of insurance it comes with. It has to be an honestly difficult decision to live on short term leases and put off starting a post-football career, especially since it would be difficult to work on other professional skills when you’re working full time to get on the field.
plus, isn;t it only for 4 - 5 months, so $200k-$250k, not bad but not as much as one thinks.

On that note, I wonder why we don’t hear of more guys going to the CFL. I have to think the money would still be decent. And for that matter you also have American spring leagues now.
a couple years ago one of our linemen turned down one of the leagues because he was going to be making twice as much with his degree. can't remember who it was, just remember reading an article about it.

Plenty of college grads (even many with masters degrees) out there who can’t get jobs to pay bills. A diploma doesn’t guarantee a well paying job.
It does if you get a degree worth having. No a masters degree in basket weaving doesn’t guarantee a good job but degrees in engineering, accounting or supply chain are examples of degrees that people can get that almost guarantee a good job.

It does if you get a degree worth having. No a masters degree in basket weaving doesn’t guarantee a good job but degrees in engineering, accounting or supply chain are examples of degrees that people can get that almost guarantee a good job.
Here I was thinking they didn’t have masters degrees in basket weaving. My point wasn’t about masters degrees, I was saying a bachelor’s degree doesn’t guarantee a good job. I was adding to that saying some with masters degrees even struggle finding good jobs. The argument the poster made I replied to was about a college degree. You are correct in that many athletes don’t get degrees that bring value to the marketplace.

Here I was thinking they didn’t have masters degrees in basket weaving. My point wasn’t about masters degrees, I was saying a bachelor’s degree doesn’t guarantee a good job. I was adding to that saying some with masters degrees even struggle finding good jobs. The argument the poster made I replied to was about a college degree. You are correct in that many athletes don’t get degrees that bring value to the marketplace.
There's also the non-degree factors. Many athletes have spent their summers training, going to camps, etc while other students have spent summers with internships or jobs related to their degree.

If you've got a kid applying for a bank or finance job who did summer work with Citi vs a guy who did summer at the Manning camp, you can see where the priorities of their life have been.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back