Daily Baseball 2013

An unnamed nl team has claimed Marlon Byrd

The Mets will have 48 hours to work out a trade with the claiming team, so the latest we could find out resolution on the situation would be Thursday. Prior to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, the Reds, Pirates and Orioles were among the teams to show interest in Byrd

My guess is the Pirates due to the injury to Marte and the uncertainty about how much time he'll miss.

I will add that I also wouldn't be surprised if the Reds claimed him as well because he is only owed $130K for the rest of the year and would effectively block him from going to Pittsburgh.

And just like that;

The Mets will receive minor league second baseman Dilson Herrera and a player to be named later, according to MLB.com's Anthony DiComo (on Twitter).

Herrera, 19, is having a strong season at Class-A West Virgina. The Colombian infielder is hitting .265/.330/.421 with 11 homers and 11 stolen bases in 479 plate appearances. Herrera ranked as the No. 20 prospect in the Pirates system prior to the season, according to Baseball America, and his solid play in 2013 has him currently ranked 11th among Pirates prospects by MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo.

In their scouting report, BA noted that Herrera has plus speed and surprising power for someone of his size (he's listed as 5'10" and 150 pounds) with the ability to hit the ball to all fields. BA feels that his lack of arm strength will limit him to second base, and Mayo agrees. Mayo adds that Herrera had no problem adjusting to the game after coming to the United States, and he projects an above-average hitter and well-above average runner. Mayo also ranked Herrera as the ninth-best second base prospect in all of minor league baseball.

Can't Tabata play left?

He can and will play there until Marte is back. I guess I was more getting at the fact of a whole in terms of production. He is far from the player he was when the Pirates signed him to that big contract, and the injuries have definitely taken a toll on him

Arizona fall league rosters announced

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130827&content_id=58609448&c_id=

Last edited:

VN Store

Back