Daily Baseball 2013

With apologies to a deep rookie class in the National League, this season's race is shaping up as Puig versus Fernandez. Here are the National Rookie Wins Above Replacement (WAR) leaders entering Monday's action:

Fernandez: 4.5
Puig: 3.7
Nolan Arenado: 3.5
Julio Teheran: 3.2
Juan Lagares: 2.8
Shelby Miller: 2.7
Hyun-Jin Ryu: 2.6
Tony Cingrani: 2.4
A.J. Pollock: 2.0

Now, who's been more valuable to their team, Arrenado or Teheran?

WAR. :eek:lol:

It's okay to be skeptical of numbers like that that are HEAVILY based in smaller sample defensive stats. He is pretty slick at third, though.

It's okay to be skeptical of numbers like that that are HEAVILY based in smaller sample defensive stats. He is pretty slick at third, though.

I agree. However, when you have a guy like Juan Lagares and his .258avg, 4HR, 25RBI, .287OBP having a "WAR" higher than Shelby Miller and Hyun-Jin Ryu how can you give it any merit?

I mean look at Puig. You'd think his WAR would be higher. The Dodgers have played damn near .800 baseball since he got called up. Prior to him they were below .500.

I'm not sure where that Lagares number is from. It also isn't meant to be an end-all "OK THIS GUY IS BETTER" stat.

WAR is technically a counting stat, so the longer you play the more it can add up. Puig didn't come up until June, right?

The Dodgers are having one of the historically great stretches.

I'm not sure where that Lagares number is from. It also isn't meant to be an end-all "OK THIS GUY IS BETTER" stat.

I do not disagree however, the article is basically using it solely to make the argument that Fernandez is the NLROY over Puig...

Daisuke Matsuzaka is now a free agent

AceK.jpg

VN Store

Back