Daily Baseball 2013

I know it's still early but all the talk about how weak the NL Central was gonna be this season thus far is far from true. The Pirates are in 3rd in the Central but they would be in 1st in the East and tied for 1st in the West.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I know it's still early but all the talk about how weak the NL Central was gonna be this season thus far is far from true. The Pirates are in 3rd in the Central but they would be in 1st in the East and tied for 1st in the West.

Correct and the Cubs top 4 starters have been a lot better than I'm guessing most know.

And we have to give credit to your pitching staff as all 5 of your starters have an ERA south of 3.

Never understood the whole NL central being weak this year especially with the Astros leaving.

Great, a LoveFest between Nati and Beef. Have either one of you of two simpletons ever heard of "small sample sizes"? Hell the Piarates were all world this time last year too. How did that end again?

Great, a LoveFest between Nati and Beef. Have either one of you of two simpletons ever heard of "small sample sizes"? Hell the Piarates were all world this time last year too. How did that end again?

This is a different team than last year. Last years team had Erik Bedard as the opening day starter and pretty much relied on McCutchen for all offense generated. Anybody watching them knew regression was bound to occur at some point was just surprised it was avoided until so late in the season. This years team has put some bats around McCutchen, is the first Pirates team in years that is able together a lineup that isn't a for sure loss against a LHP, and has one of the better bullpens in the mlb. Granted it is still not a playoff team as the starting rotation is still not there and a couple of other position need to be upgraded (mainly shortstop). However, I don't see how you call a division with 2 good playoff teams (Cardinals and reds) and a Pirates team that is an ~83 win team weak. I really don't think there is a weak or strong division on the NL right now, there is a lot of parity between the divisions

What? Please explain your logic.

It's a flawed stat imo.

Few scenarios:

If a pitcher goes out and goes 8 IP, and only gives up one run and has 9 K's, he has a great game going. In the 8th he starts getting a bit shaky, but get's through the inning. Manager decides to leave him in, he walks a batter, gives up a base hit, and then gives up a bomb, even though the mgr should have taken him out. He no longer gets a quality start, even though you can argue he had a quality start.

Vise versa, a pitcher can pitch 6 innings, give up 3 earned runs, and have 5 walks. As stated before, that's an era of 4.5 and a ton of walks. I personally wouldn't call that a quality start, imo.

In 2011, Ryan Dempster has 21 quality starts. That would make him top 15 in the league, only 5 behind the league leader in quality starts that year, Matt Cain. Yet he post a 10-14 record and a 4.80 era. 21 quality starts with that stat line? No way.

Also, you have to take into account if they pitch in a pitcher's park or a hitter's park, and then we must to consider the defense behind them.

Now, more often than not, I will agree that a "quality start" on the stat sheet is a good job on the mound that day. But, imo, it is a flawed statistic. I guess that was the point I was trying to make

:hi:

Daniel Bard this month: 91 pitches, 28 strikes. 3 IP 12 BB 6 WP.

That's "Wild Thing" Ricky Vaughn territory.

Last edited:

You're still struggling with reading I see. What part of my post where I clearly stated "I know it's early" confused you?

You must have gotten hit in the head by some of that trash y'all throw at games.

Last edited:
You're still struggling with reading I see. What part of my post where I clearly stated "I know it's early" confused you?

You must have gotten hit in the head by some of that trash y'all throw at games.

Go back to your single wide trailer you hillbilly.

Reactions: 1 person
Liriano has fanned 7 through 5.1 innings. He's managed to keep the walks down so far this year as well

VN Store

Back