Daily Baseball 2013

The contradiction comes in the form of you essentially questioning me making comparions based on one year's worth of stats.. in which you followed by making a correlation of one year's stats i.e. to a regression in this year's (even more limited sample sizing) stat's.

In more simple terms you came to a conclusion off of one years worth of stats after questioning me coming to a conclusion after doing the same.

Now, if I had Harper's and Trout little league stats I would be using them as a tool of determination as well. Most unfortunately, I do not :(

So I'm working with what I got.

Harper won golden spikes, something Trout did not do, therefore Harper is better at baseball. IMHO.

The contradiction comes in the form of you essentially questioning me making comparions based on one year's worth of stats.. in which you followed by making a correlation of one year's stats i.e. to a regression in this year's (even more limited sample sizing) stat's.

In more simple terms you came to a conclusion off of one years worth of stats after questioning me coming to a conclusion after doing the same.

What's this conclusion that you speak of? Is it not a fact that he is stealing bases at a lesser rate than he did last year?

Unless he started eating roids at 15 (which is not out of the realm of possibility) he has always been thick necked and big headed.

Would not surprise me. I also do not think it wrong to do so. Hell, I'd say that a 14-year old kid with the skills to play professional sports and the money and resources to get ahold of PEDs, should probably jump at the opportunity. Could be the difference between being set for life at 22 and hacking out a tough existence in the minors for ten to fifteen years. And, the PEDs that exist today are not nearly as dangerous, long term, as those that were around in the 70s and 80s. The only side effect is being more prone to some joint problems and possibly feeling "shame" if you are ever discovered (I'd imagine that LeBron was using PEDs in high school, too...love me some LBJ).

When I was in high school, kids were getting their hands on anything they could get their hands on, and the parents were buying the stuff for them. Some of the stuff was legal at the time, and banned later. Some kids were on stuff that was already banned.

Either one, one look at Trout and feels that there is something not natural, there. Now, could be wrong, there are always freaks, and he does have freakish talent, regardless of his size. But...if it ever comes out that he is/has juicing/ed I will not be surprised. I will also not be surprised if he has some joint problems when he is 26, 27, 28.

It's called being gritty TRUT. See Kirk Gibson. I bet Kirk Gibson loves him some Bryce Harper.

Harper's grit >>> Trout's grit

Agreed. Thought I was going to lose Salvy to some grit the other night, though.

I hope this works...

miggy_composite.gif

This piece has more Miggy gifs: Miguel Cabrera’s Ridiculous Plate Coverage | FanGraphs Baseball

Last edited:
Ran full speed into the dug rail at MinuteMaid Park...missed two games due to a hip contusion. Could have been a lot worse.

I saw that he had the hip but just figured it was general catcher dings and wrote it off. Didn't realize that happened. I love that guy.

Would not surprise me. I also do not think it wrong to do so. Hell, I'd say that a 14-year old kid with the skills to play professional sports and the money and resources to get ahold of PEDs, should probably jump at the opportunity. Could be the difference between being set for life at 22 and hacking out a tough existence in the minors for ten to fifteen years. And, the PEDs that exist today are not nearly as dangerous, long term, as those that were around in the 70s and 80s. The only side effect is being more prone to some joint problems and possibly feeling "shame" if you are ever discovered (I'd imagine that LeBron was using PEDs in high school, too...love me some LBJ).

When I was in high school, kids were getting their hands on anything they could get their hands on, and the parents were buying the stuff for them. Some of the stuff was legal at the time, and banned later. Some kids were on stuff that was already banned.

Either one, one look at Trout and feels that there is something not natural, there. Now, could be wrong, there are always freaks, and he does have freakish talent, regardless of his size. But...if it ever comes out that he is/has juicing/ed I will not be surprised. I will also not be surprised if he has some joint problems when he is 26, 27, 28.

Agreed. Thought I was going to lose Salvy to some grit the other night, though.

That is a whole 'nother can of worms. And I am not so sure I even disagree or agree. For obvious reason the legal ramifications of a high schoolers touting around banned substances is comparable to an open spark and combustible accelerant. Regardless, substances that athletes in my high school (me included) were buying at the local GNC or even the corner Shell station have since been banned. I knew parents who would actually acquire PED's for their children as more less a means to live vicarious. As you mentioned, it can most defintely be the difference between a mundane minor league existence or a somewhat sustained major league experience. But it can also be the difference between a scholarship to "xyz" low/mid major/NAIA school and working at the local mill. Personally, I wouldn't want my 14 year old brother taking PEDs.

Nonetheless, baseball in the South and I imagine other regions as well is extremely competetive. I am not naive in the manner that I know that he is going to need some advantages to set him apart from the competition, because some of the things that I've seen just from being aroung the travel ball circuit the last couple of years is mind boggling.

Most definitely some mind blowing things in the travel baseball circuit. I know it all too well.

What sort of stuff? Could guess, but just wonder what you are referring to.

Abusive parents i.e. literally hitting their children if they don't meet expectations. Forged ages. Illegal substances. Tampered equipment. Paying kids. Politics. You name it.

Abusive parents i.e. literally hitting their children if they don't meet expectations. Forged ages. Illegal substances. Tampered equipment. Paying kids. Politics. You name it.

This is what I would have guessed, except I would not have listed the illegal substances, but that may have just been hopeful denial from me.

It's really, really pathetic at times.

This is what I would have guessed, except I would not have listed the illegal substances, but that may have just been hopeful denial from me.

It's really, really pathetic at times.

That it is Bake. Actually about to head to South Haven, Mississippi for a tournament this weekend in another hour. On a side note, my brother's team played Goodlettsville (US LLWS champs) twice last summer and that Brock Myers kid is the absolute truth. There were scouts already posted up taking him in. Crazy indeed. I mean he already has a profile:

Baseball Factory - 2012 Little League Baseball World Series - Southeast - Brock Myers

Last edited:
When I played in New England Summer league in Vermont summer of '04 literally half the dudes on my team were taken shots in the ass. Even this tiny little dude from a D3 school in Texas who had absolutely zero chance of making it to the big leagues. He barely played for us that summer...

I always wonder about the great LLWS kids and like to see where they end up. The one kid that ended up at Tennessee and played with Alvey a good while ago were absolute ballers.

Dalton Carriker is going to play at... Wallace State?

Yes sir. Heard its nice. This will be the first time I've been there.

Man that sucks. It was a little slice of heaven when it first opened. Truly amazing. It's certainly fallen off over the 10+ years it's been open (and change in management) but hopefully that has more to do with my getting use to it.

I always wonder about the great LLWS kids and like to see where they end up. The one kid that ended up at Tennessee and played with Alvey a good while ago were absolute ballers.

Dalton Carriker is going to play at... Wallace State?

Little league is a sham. Damn kids can't even lead off and those tiny ass fields. My 12 yr old team would have smoked every team in the LLWS, even with Danny almonte on the hill.

Edit- I was just about to bash nati for telling old stories like he's somebody and you had to go an mention that travesty that is the LLWS. Nati, I'd rope you ten years ago and I'd rope you now. Soft tossin lefties, SMH

Edit- I was just about to bash nati for telling old stories like he's somebody and you had to go an mention that travesty that is the LLWS. Nati, I'd rope you ten years ago and I'd rope you now. Soft tossin lefties, SMH

Grab a bat. Tell me where to meet you.

VN Store

Back