Debt ceiling: here we go AGAIN

lawgator1

A few thoughts based on a few different scenarios:

1) What is McConnell's opposition to a stand alone debt ceiling measure? Seems like he is saying no to even that because he is trying to prevent passage of the large spending bill. If it was stand alone, it's pretty irresponsible to block it.

2) There has been talk of a measure that would permanently deal with the debt ceiling but tie it to mandatory deficit reduction. That sounds like a reasonable starting point. But both sides arguably hate it because when it's their turn to pay off their constituents with either spending or tax cuts they don't want to be ham-strung.

3) Seems like a really, really bad time to be playing this game.

In the end I am sure they will pass it. But the posturing back and forth seems pointless and costly to me.

1) What is McConnell's opposition to a stand alone debt ceiling measure? Seems like he is saying no to even that because he is trying to prevent passage of the large spending bill. If it was stand alone, it's pretty irresponsible to block it.

2) There has been talk of a measure that would permanently deal with the debt ceiling but tie it to mandatory deficit reduction. That sounds like a reasonable starting point. But both sides arguably hate it because when it's their turn to pay off their constituents with either spending or tax cuts they don't want to be ham-strung.

In the end I am sure they will pass it. But the posturing back and forth seems pointless and costly to me.
They will raise it, because in the end it's the uniparty.

But the posturing is his grievance. Good grief.

No, that's not my only "grievance." I'm saying I don't understand the posturing under these circumstances.

But setting that aside I asked abiut this idea of permanently creating a mechanism to avoid the ceiling but tie it to mandatory reductions in deficits. I'm for decreased spending to the lower class programs and for increased taxes on the wealthy.

Promote the middle class.

Two groups in America: those working and those who aren’t and a large group of working just got so much free money they joined the non working group.

The non working group wants its free stuff and the politicians are winning their votes by offering more.

The working group is screwed and all of them are about to get nailed.

1. Would it kill you to provide a link? Ever? I am not even picky.

2. Before complaining about someone resisting the raise, one should establish why it should be raised.

3. It's just more kicking the can down the road so that neither side has to deal with their own crap. If trump was in charge. He would be raising it, and Nancy would be fighting it.

Two groups in America: those working and those who aren’t and a large group of working just got so much free money they joined the non working group.

The non working group wants its free stuff and the politicians are winning their votes by offering more.

The Dems reward their constituents with more social service spending. The GOP rewards their constituency with more tax breaks.

Don't pretend like one has moral authority in this issue. Just flip sides of the same coin and the same result: More debt.

Reactions: acd4476
The Dems reward their constituents with more social service spending. The GOP rewards their constituency with more tax breaks.

Don't pretend like one has moral authority in this issue. Just flip sides of the same coin and the same result: More debt.

Tax breaks for working people instead of hand outs to lazy people?

Atleast one is rewarding hard work.

Stupid comparison and it’s where we draw the line.

Tax breaks aren’t the US Gov money. All it means is they take less of OUR money.

Why is that so hard for you to get?

Tax less and spend even less. It’s not a hard concept.

No, that's not my only "grievance." I'm saying I don't understand the posturing under these circumstances.

But setting that aside I asked abiut this idea of permanently creating a mechanism to avoid the ceiling but tie it to mandatory reductions in deficits. I'm for decreased spending to the lower class programs and for increased taxes on the wealthy.

Define middle class?

Define how you promote the middle class?

Use TN or FL as an example.

It's important because the uniparty wants to pass 3.5T infrastructure bills which are nothing more than a mass amnesty bill.

At this point, what does it really matter…

Define middle class?

Define how you promote the middle class?

Use TN or FL as an example.

Using the classic family of 4 example, I think middle class is annual W2 income somewhere in the 60k and 200k region. Depends a lot on where you live. San Francisco or Manhattan maybe it's more like 150k to 400k. Selma maybe it's 40k to 80k.

Enough to have a traditional home mortgage, save for 401k. And do one of those in state tuition progra.s for your kids for college.

It does not include people with passive income at those levels or beyond.

Let me refine that for you a bit - there are 3 groups.
1) Those who work.
2) Those who dont work.
3) Those who dont work but live largely on the work of others.

The third group has aligned (by lying and buying) with the 2nd group against the first.

My company used Trump tax cuts to now go 4 straight years without increasing employee end of insurance obligations, issuing $20,000 dollars in stock offering to each GM, a $2,000 raise to each manager. Oh and over $25 million in emergency funds to hourly employees during the pandemic. Evil bastards. The liberals cut direct checks that expired and devastated those renting properties.

Last edited:
Using the classic family of 4 example, I think middle class is annual W2 income somewhere in the 60k and 200k region. Depends a lot on where you live. San Francisco or Manhattan maybe it's more like 150k to 400k. Selma maybe it's 40k to 80k.

Enough to have a traditional home mortgage, save for 401k. And do one of those in state tuition progra.s for your kids for college.

It does not include people with passive income at those levels or beyond.

Ok so I am in agreement on this model for the most part.

90k to 200k gets crushed in most states if you are W2. No Obama care credits and you are maxed out in many state and local tax markets.

So you are for tax breaks in that income class?

Ok so I am in agreement on this model for the most part.

90k to 200k gets crushed in most states if you are W2. No Obama care credits and you are maxed out in many state and local tax markets.

So you are for tax breaks in that income class?

Yes, very much.

And at the same time reduce social spending at the bottom and increase taxes (or reduce loopholes) at the top.

The middle class in this country gets screwed on both ends, yet the middle class and its consumption spending is what drives the economy.

I could never be a politician. I'm a Dem but when running would say don't look to me to worry about social justice issues or mortgage relief or more spending along those lines. But GOP institutions would equally hate me because I'd make the top 3 percent or so pay much more in taxes.

Encourage the poor to work hard to get to the middle class. Reduce wealth disparity at the same time. I'd love to offend equally.

My company used Trump tax cuts to now go 4 straight years without increasing employee end of insurance obligations, issuing $20,000 dollars in stock offering to each GM, a $2,000 raise to each manager. Oh and over $25 million in emergency funds to hourly employees during the pandemic. Evil bastards. The liberals cut direct checks that expired and devastated those renting properties.

How does a company have emergency funds for the pandemic? And $25 million of it?

How can Trump tax cuts = stock offerings to managers?

Something doesn't add up.

Reactions: acd4476

VN Store

Back