Democrats introduce bill to make Washington, D.C., the 51st state

utvolpj

Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Democrats introduce bill to make Washington, D.C., the 51st state

WASHINGTON — House and Senate Democrats introduced legislation Wednesday that would make Washington, D.C., the 51st state.

The measure was reintroduced in the House by Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, a Democrat who represents the District of Columbia, and its companion was unveiled in the Senate by Sen. Tom Carper, D-Del. As of Tuesday evening, Norton said that she had more than 200 co-sponsors in the House.

While the bill could pass again in the House, which remains in Democratic control, its chances of clearing the Senate are nil. Democrats control the Senate because, with a 50-50 split, Vice President Kamala Harris can cast tie-breaking votes. But Democrats would need to overcome a filibuster, requiring 60 votes, for the legislation to pass, meaning they would need at least 10 Republicans to join them. Many GOP lawmakers have expressed opposition to statehood for D.C. because its congressional representation would almost certainly be Democratic.

Also if they want to make DC a state they would need to go back to VA and MD and get their legislatures to approve it to stay withing the constitution. Neither state ceded the land for the creation of a new state.

Reactions: StarRaider and AM64
Pettiness shouldn't be a reason to let a state leave either. But hey, that's a different story right? That USA Timeshare is a bitch.
I agree. The US doesnt really have any reason to be selective. Either coming in or leaving.

If you are the best you shouldnt be worried about people leaving. Like the SEC, only P5 with no fine for leaving.

If DC learned right and it being a state meant the Rs took a larger chunk of representation away the people making these same arguments would flip.

It's all political pettiness.

I agree. The US doesnt really have any reason to be selective. Either coming in or leaving.

If you are the best you shouldnt be worried about people leaving. Like the SEC, only P5 with no fine for leaving.

If DC learned right and it being a state meant the Rs took a larger chunk of representation away the people making these same arguments would flip.

It's all political pettiness.

No, these people wouldn't flip views.

Reactions: AM64
The people of DC? I can agree with that. But the point still remains that politics isnt a reason for keeping them out.

Who said politics were a reason to not make them a state? If they did they are just as wrong as the people who want to make them a state without going through the proper procedures.

Who said politics were a reason to not make them a state? If they did they are just as wrong as the people who want to make them a state without going through the proper procedures.
I think Consitutional law recognizes precedence. Unfortunately WV is precedence.

I have no idea how the Supreme Court will treat unconstitutional precedence, if it even makes it to them.

VN Store

Back