Democrats introduce bill to make Washington, D.C., the 51st state

I think the concept of the separation of Federal and State governments is important enough that all the of the Federal government should not be housed within a single state.

The residents of DC probably have more access to "our" representatives" than we do. This thing they are bleating about "taxation with no representation" is utter BS.

I agree. The US doesnt really have any reason to be selective. Either coming in or leaving.

If you are the best you shouldnt be worried about people leaving. Like the SEC, only P5 with no fine for leaving.

If DC learned right and it being a state meant the Rs took a larger chunk of representation away the people making these same arguments would flip.

It's all political pettiness.
It's not all political pettiness. I'm against DC being a state because it goes against its stated Constitutional purpose. Politics have nothing to do with it. Not everyone thinks in terms of Republican or Democrat.

If anything, politics is the exact reason some want to make it a state.

DC had the "Taxation with no representation" license plates. They've played the victim role like they were chained to the earth and forced to live there. The point is the rules were established for good reason, and the residents chose to live there rather than a short distance away in a real state. To be honest the real mistake was allowing residences in DC, and inviting this nonsense in the first place. If the feds bit off too much land to begin with, pare it down and return the leftover to VA and MD.

DC had the "Taxation with no representation" license plates. They've played the victim role like they were chained to the earth and forced to live there. The point is the rules were established for good reason, and the residents chose to live there rather than a short distance away in a real state. To be honest the real mistake was allowing residences in DC, and inviting this nonsense in the first place. If the feds bit off too much land to begin with, pare it down and return the leftover to VA and MD.
That's my view. Shrink DC to only the actual federal govt and return the leftover land to the existing states. There is not, in my opinion, any logical argument to making DC a city-state. The only reason people want it to happen is for political reasons. If they really and truly want to add states, there are better, more logical arguments to look at U.S. territories like Puerto Rico or Guam or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Reactions: Kristy* and AM64
If anything it should be annexed by Virginia or Maryland or divided between them.

That's my view. Shrink DC to only the actual federal govt and return the leftover land to the existing states. There is not, in my opinion, any logical argument to making DC a city-state. The only reason people want it to happen is for political reasons. If they really and truly want to add states, there are better, more logical arguments to look at U.S. territories like Puerto Rico or Guam or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

There are all kinds of federal offices just outside DC in VA and MD. They could even do land swaps. Instead the Walter Reed Army Army Hospital in DC was closed and merged with Bethesda Naval Hospital; considering the age and condition of facilities, that made sense, but it's a prime example of how federal facilities could have been kept within the DC boundaries but went instead to outlying states. And there's a very long list of things like that.

yep -between Texas, Montana and Alaska , we should be able to get about 10 more red states.. Politicians are going to be the absolute death of this country with their tomfoolery and absolute lack of morals in their blinded quest for power.
And these states are just going to give up their territory?

So how many electoral votes will the Demoncraft be giving themselves to go with their added 15 million illegals voting?

How about the fact that it isnt a state. Puerto Rico has more of a case.
Nothing was a state before it was a state.

The feds have already divided up a state to create a new one, as far as I am able to see DC is autonomous. It has the population.

We have been playing politics with new states since before the civil war.

The feds have already divided up a state to create a new one, as far as I am able to see DC is autonomous. It has the population.

LA has the population. Let’s make LA a state and the conservative voters in California will have a chance at winning the state. This is strictly political.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol

So why endorse playing politics in regards to statehood with DC?

It's purpose is simple even if it gave utvols88 two votes in the senate, I'd still be against DC being a state for the blunt reason of its creation.

So why endorse playing politics in regards to statehood with DC?

It's purpose is simple even if it gave utvols88 two votes in the senate, I'd still be against DC being a state for the blunt reason of its creation.
Because in this case fighting the statehood is also playing politics. So either way you are playing politics.

I am just sliding with the peoples right for self determination. They seem to believe that leaving DC to go to a state is not an option. So like the territories of old they vote for a new state.

Because in this case fighting the statehood is also playing politics. So either way you are playing politics.

I am just sliding with the peoples right for self determination. They seem to believe that leaving DC to go to a state is not an option. So like the territories of old they vote for a new state.
That's the way you want it to be but fighting this based on its original intent, which makes full sense, isn't playing politics no matter how much you want to charge it. Its adhering to a common sense rule to create DC in a more balanced way that is independent from statehood. As it should be.

VN Store

Back