Depth at RB

The depth, short and long term, at RB, LB, DE/DT, and DB should be horrifying to the coaching staff and to anyone who cares about UT football. In the 2013 class, one RB (Jabo Lee, hopefully his vast ACT improvement doesn't ring too many alarm bells with the NCAA), two possibls LBs (Corey Vereen, who is now a DE, and JRM, with rumors of him playing S or RB), three DEs (with one or two probably moving to DT, which simply means one position or the other is short), and four projected DBs (three corners and one safety). In the 2012 class, UT has one out of three RBs left (Alden Hill and lost Borque and Watson), have the only LB left (Bynum, a RS-freshman), have three of six DE/DTs left and one graduates this year, and only two of three DBs left. And it goes on. I still don't understand why CBJ didn't grab the two JUCO DTs from Kansas because they would have provided much needed short term depth (they could've been redshirted too).

We need Lee to come in and be dynamic. Neal is avg at best and now Lane, who's about the same, appears to be a bit AWOL. Real issues at not only RB but at WR too despite the Dooley apologists who swear he left a great roster for CBJ.

Lane is far from average, especially when healthy.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm guessing Lee needed an 18 to "pass" because of GPA. Means he had at least a 2.5 GPA. 16 with a 3.0.

It is my belief, after watching the film, that Lee could be a solid back, and an elusive back for change of pace for Hurd. Lee, if his injury is now 100%, only has film from his JUNIOR year. He could easily come in and show out, and get solid playing time this year. If Neal doesn't learn to look up and use his eyes, Jabo could end up starting.

thats what every ut back did for decades...

lewis, garner, henry, stephens, cobb, webb, houston, stewart, etc.

I don't really recall cedric houston "running angry". I remember that Florida game, though, where houston got injured and jabari davis came. he certainly seemed to be running angry that day.

Reactions: 1 person
Our depth and talent at RB may be the worst in the SEC unfortunately....we missed horribly in the 2013 recruiting class for RB's and I'm afraid we'll pay the price for a couple of years

Our depth and talent at RB may be the worst in the SEC unfortunately....we missed horribly in the 2013 recruiting class for RB's and I'm afraid we'll pay the price for a couple of years

This year= not good. Gotta hope either Lee or one other back already on the roster shows up and surprises to either produce or provide depth. However, after this season big time help is on the way with Hurd, Paulk and possibly a 3rd top flight rb. Hurd is an EE next season so I'm seeing big production from him as a freshman.

This year= not good. Gotta hope either Lee or one other back already on the roster shows up and surprises to either produce or provide depth. However, after this season big time help is on the way with Hurd, Paulk and possibly a 3rd top flight rb. Hurd is an EE next season so I'm seeing big production from him as a freshman.

Better hope we get some OL EE's cause if we don't he won't have anyone blocking for him.

You need more then 9 post before you're allowed to run down a player.FYI

That's not right. If he thinks we have crappy players, then he should be able to voice his opinions. Marlin is above average like Neal.

That's not right. If he thinks we have crappy players, then he should be able to voice his opinions. Marlin is above average like Neal.

Not to knock these kids, I know they have some talent, but you gotta define average then, cause their production and lack of ability to break tackles/finish runs and rip off long runs at this point has screamed average at best to me. Even Coach Gillespie has said this recently.

I'm not sure that's the case at RB. We have Neal. Hopefully the situation with Lane isn't serious. Then there's Hill. And Lee will arrive this summer. Who else am I missing?

What's the deal with Tom Smith? Have we heard anything about him this spring? He must be behind Hill, based on the reps at practice today.

CBJ stated that (2013) recruiting will continue. Michael Dyer is scheduled to graduate (AA Degree) next month. He's a one-and-done (NFL), it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

VN Store

Back