Did butch keep the traditions?

Did butch keep the traditions?

• Total voters
I don't bow to breaking tradition. Let's just throw the whole crayon box of colors at them anytime we have a loosing season from now on, saves money on a coach. Smokey is a dog, bear or mountains around here, not uniforms, "We R The Big Orange"

Yes we are!

Our traditional school colors are Orange, White, and Smokey and we are gonna wear them proudly. We wore the Smokey color in the early 1900s but we got away from that a little bit. Thank God for Butch Jones coming in here and recognizing that we have been leaving a traditional school color out of our Uniforms. A color that was worn for many winning seasons. Thanks Butch for bringing back a lost tradition!

Omg in 19 whatever do any of u believe there was orange to choose from to make uniforms? Then BnW TV's if any for the next 30 yes. So it didn't matter. Recruits know our colors when they sign. I think the smokey color was added very recently on the Tn web page, my media guides from lots of years have nothing but Orange n White as official colors. If you can't be proud of the tradition we have built over all these years, maybe you should not call yourself Big Orange fans, if you really believe you have to throw all this away to placate a 17, or 18 yr old something is really wrong with this fan base. These unis need to be ship the way of the orange shoes, before they make it on the field.just slap a duck on the helment and call us Oregon East. I bet Bama doesn't want to change unis. !!!!!!! Thanks for letting me vent on the fact that I think Butch slapped tradition in the face

Interesting that you said "proud of the tradition we have BUILT over all these years". That means new traditions come along and add to the legacy. This is just another brick in the tradition building process.

Reactions: 2 people
Omg in 19 whatever do any of u believe there was orange to choose from to make uniforms? Then BnW TV's if any for the next 30 yes. So it didn't matter. Recruits know our colors when they sign. I think the smokey color was added very recently on the Tn web page, my media guides from lots of years have nothing but Orange n White as official colors. If you can't be proud of the tradition we have built over all these years, maybe you should not call yourself Big Orange fans, if you really believe you have to throw all this away to placate a 17, or 18 yr old something is really wrong with this fan base. These unis need to be ship the way of the orange shoes, before they make it on the field.just slap a duck on the helment and call us Oregon East. I bet Bama doesn't want to change unis. !!!!!!! Thanks for letting me vent on the fact that I think Butch slapped tradition in the face

I'm pretty sure that all of our traditions were started by 17 and 18 year olds. That is why it's called "college football". You were no more important when you were 18 years old than these kids are now. They have just as much right to add to our traditions as the blue hairs did back when they were young.

Reactions: 1 person
Ah yes, but we had not change the unis to achieve this. Omg we could have been #1 every year had we changed them sooner.!!

You can cry about it al you want it's done. The uniforms are here. The sky has not fallen. People are still saying go big orange. And the players are smiling. There is absolutely nothing you haters can do about the uniform but complain. You can't sue over it. You can start a petition but you'll lose. So keep crying and whining until you get it out your system. Poor babies.

Think about how dumb one has to be to believe that wearing a different color is going to make the team better.

Halloween team in black jerseys says hello. If you don't think the guys played with extra energy, as well as the crowd, you probably haven't played a sport on a team before. Anything can get them fired up. Anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I'm not necessarily a fan if alternate unis because I think they are a cheap gimmick. Having said that, the smokey unis look slick. I can handle 1 or even 2 games a year, particularly away games. As long as we don't turn into Oregon with a different uni every week or go all Nike pro combat then tradition is preserved.

On a side note I really like the tweaks to the regular unis. I actually wish it said TENNESSEE bigger across the chest on the white jersey.

Or we could just never ever make any changes ever to the unis because they have been the same since the early 1900's......oh wait nevermind.

And no the unis didn't get us to where we are now in recruiting. BUTCH DID!. So if he thinks these will help in future recruiting who are you to question him. How many recruits have you closed for this program this year?

At least 3. My tweets get the job done :matrix:

All I'm going to say on the subject is to look at the polls...the vast majority are for the uniform change. It's ok to have an opinion, but when you whine like my 4 year old about not getting your way, I really have to question your intellect and/or intestinal fortitude. Suck it up, be a man, go VOLS!

The Storm Trooper look is best btw....

Reactions: 2 people
I think everything he has done so far has Been within the traditions. Nothing has changed really other than the gray uniforms and even those are within the traditions.

I mean, I seriously doubt he went searching in the circa 1914 era of UT football to find a tradition-inspired new look for the unis, but the story supports the gray uni nicely. It's a new look, plain and simple...call it what it is. I like it just fine.

CBJ knew some of the old farts er traditionalists were going to be pissed. What I love about him is he did it anyway. We have a new attitude on the hill, a top recruiting class, recruits committing every other day and we have fans whining over color scheme. No Homophobe but how g#y is that. Seriously think about it.
Did you really just say "No Homophobe" you realize that your on a Tennessee site not a Cal Berkley site right?

I really like the Gray or "Smokey" uniforms I think they sick. But can we please stop trying to justify why we are wearing them because we wore some gray shirt that loosely resembled a jersey back then? I mean seriously I'd wager most of us (me included) had no clue we wore a grayish uniform in our past.

I really like the Gray or "Smokey" uniforms I think they sick. But can we please stop trying to justify why we are wearing them because we wore some gray shirt that loosely resembled a jersey back then? I mean seriously I'd wager most of us (me included) had no clue we wore a grayish uniform in our past.

Actually one of the best designs, if remotely accurate, is the 1903 Jersey. I wonder what the people said then and again with the orange helmet...

People need to relax, not take this all personal, and remember that adjustments have always been made.

:3cheers: :td::td::3cheers::fireworks:

WoHoooo lets go Big Gray

:bs:

makes me wanna puke,I'm guessing,but it is just an attempt to sell more jerseys from Adidas,I'm not against some uniform changes,but it is Orange and White and I'm not impressed with colors from a 100 years ago either,I've got some age on me and it has all ways been orange and white and as far as recruiting goes,CBJ has a great class in the works,with out having to use some puke color and trying to make it OK by using Smokey with it

:3cheers: :td::td::3cheers::fireworks:

WoHoooo lets go Big Gray

:bs:

makes me wanna puke,I'm guessing,but it is just an attempt to sell more jerseys from Adidas,I'm not against some uniform changes,but it is Orange and White and I'm not impressed with colors from a 100 years ago either,I've got some age on me and it has all ways been orange and white and as far as recruiting goes,CBJ has a great class in the works,with out having to use some puke color and trying to make it OK by using Smokey with it
Thank you for your opinion you have the right to it but guess what? The majority of the fan base loves them and the team is going to wear them while you're puking. I also don't think the primary reason these uniforms were created was to sell more Jerseys. Believe it or not the team had been pitching this. Your conspiracy has no power here.

You should go drink your Metamucil, it would do you some good. Love the the new uniform.

for me it's not a tradition thing. I just think the uniform is ugly. I like a simplistic uniform. Less is more if you will. I'm not even against the gray necessarily, I just think there is too much going on, all the swirls and designs in the fabric don't appeal to me. I also think the white helmet looks awful against the charcoal smokey color, just as it did in the Halloween uniform. Give me the Fulmer Storm Trooper road uni, white jersey, orange numbers with black outline and all white pants, no stripes, just the simple Power T. Give me an all orange jersey with white numerals and all white pants running out of the T at Neyland. To mix it up occasionally, wear orange pants on the road and if Adidas can ever find a way to match the color off the jersey fabric with the pant fabric, go for an all orange home uni. It's not a tradition thing, I just think the simple uniform combos are timeless classics that never get old. Penn State, Michigan, Alabama, the old Notre Dame stuff, etc.

No one will moan or cry about these unis if we wear them in a big game like Oregon or South Carolina and we win. We have such a ridiculous fan base that is so willing to divid at any time. Sunshine pumpers vs negavols, Grudinites vs. everyone else, traditonalist vs. new age, Fulmer vs. Majors and the list goes on....I guess it's just the American thing to do these days.

Speaking of Traditions, Remember when the kicking game was a rich Tennessee Tradition? Maybe Ol Butch will bring back some of the important traditions.

Yes we are!

Our traditional school colors are Orange, White, and Smokey and we are gonna wear them proudly. We wore the Smokey color in the early 1900s but we got away from that a little bit. Thank God for Butch Jones coming in here and recognizing that we have been leaving a traditional school color out of our Uniforms. A color that was worn for many winning seasons. Thanks Butch for bringing back a lost tradition!

NO NO there is no smokey gray in UT's colors, that smokey stuff didn't start until they introduced the blue tick coon hound. Look, if they need an alternate to attract the kind of recruits they need, then tolerate gray, just don't go back to the dark ages when no one cared about wearing school colors, and claim that started a tradition. Nobody knew or cared anything about "smokey gray" back then, it was just something to wear. Heck, they didn't even have the foward pass back that early. It's comical how they are trying to make those things "traditional" , they are not traditional, they are a radical change. If they have to have that for recruiting OK but you don't build up a tradition in one day. Traditions are built over a period of time, like our orange and white that goes back over 90 years.

NO NO there is no smokey gray in UT's colors, that smokey stuff didn't start until they introduced the blue tick coon hound. Look, if they need an alternate to attract the kind of recruits they need, then tolerate gray, just don't go back to the dark ages when no one cared about wearing school colors, and claim that started a tradition. Nobody knew or cared anything about "smokey gray" back then, it was just something to wear. Heck, they didn't even have the foward pass back that early. It's comical how they are trying to make those things "traditional" , they are not traditional, they are a radical change. If they have to have that for recruiting OK but you don't build up a tradition in one day. Traditions are built over a period of time, like our orange and white that goes back over 90 years.

Truth is we are wearing them so y'all need to stop crying like five year olds and support our Vols as they whip dey azz!!!

Truth is we are wearing them so y'all need to stop crying like five year olds and support our Vols as they whip dey azz!!!

It's really funny how just because someone uses his freedom of speech and ability to have an opinion to use stating that he doesn't like the new unis makes them a blue haired, whiny traditionalist who is behind the times. Maybe we just don't like the uniforms? Doesn't make us old, behind the times or a negavol. We just don't like something.

And these uniforms still don't give us depth (or talent) in the secondary, doesn't give us experience at WR and doesn't give us anyone that has proven anything in the backfield. It's a seven win team whether we wear orange, smokey, white or neon green.

VN Store

Back