DID you like or dislike Casey Clausen?

Originally posted by SoCalVol@Jan 20, 2005 4:30 PM
My dad said the most true thing I think I've heard about Casey, he made good situations better, and he made bad situations worse.

and if he coulda made bad situations great as well.. then... he'd be like what has become known as 'Peyton MANning'

14-1 on the road, and no good. Hah. He played hurt and without great talent his final two years. Few Vols lay it on the line Casey did. Thanks!!! :rocks:

That's the thing I don't see. Other than the 2002 season that fell apart when Clausen and everybody else got hurt, Casey's career was not much different from Manning's.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 20, 2005 4:39 PM
14-1 on the road, and no good. Hah. He played hurt and without great talent his final two years. Few Vols lay it on the line Casey did. Thanks!!! :rocks:

yeah i guess your right... that road record is pretty amazing.. just at times if he had made another good pass or something it woulda been a W for sure

I liked clausen, usually, and i hear there's one more clausen kid comin up

We all know Casey's record while at UT, especially on the road. The way I will remember him is how he got the Vols through their "down-period" as a program. Our worst year was an 8-4 season. Just ask a team like USC or UCLA if they would take one of those kinda of season while rebuilding. Casey was a fine QB who could read defenses and absoulutely played above his athletic abilities.

Originally posted by VlsFn22@Jan 20, 2005 4:44 PM
We all know Casey's record while at UT, especially on the road. The way I will remember him is how he got the Vols through their "down-period" as a program. Our worst year was an 8-4 season. Just ask a team like USC or UCLA if they would take one of those kinda of season while rebuilding. Casey was a fine QB who could read defenses and absoulutely played above his athletic abilities.

at the cotton bowl they interviewed his mom and she was like "yeah there's one more comin up after Rick, but he might play D!" so there's no telling

Oh, and there's aother colquitt

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 20, 2005 4:39 PM

No doubt he gave his heart played hurt unlike Washington who was to good for that didn't want to hurt his NFL carrer.

Sarge and GAVol put the stats out there. What bad can you say. So he blew some big performances. How many times did PM beat FLA. Did he not get his but kicked all over by Nebraska. He's UT #1. Casey is Ut #2. We really had some serious injury plagues and reloading going on for a couple of years that Casey had to overcome. Starting lineman missed a total of 70+ man-games in one season. No two games ever looked alike. And we never had a losing season. No one except a superior athlete and QB with a superior QB head for the game could have done that. Let Casey have Mannings line up for 4 solid years, and who knows where that kid would've landed.

Originally posted by GVF@Jan 20, 2005 4:56 PM
Sarge and GAVol put the stats out there. What bad can you say. So he blew some big performances. How many times did PM beat FLA. Did he not get his but kicked all over by Nebraska. He's UT #1. Casey is Ut #2. We really had some serious injury plagues and reloading going on for a couple of years that Casey had to overcome. Starting lineman missed a total of 70+ man-games in one season. No two games ever looked alike. And we never had a losing season. No one except a superior athlete and QB with a superior QB head for the game could have done that. Let Casey have Mannings line up for 4 solid years, and who knows where that kid would've landed.

is anyone old enough to remember the game when UT beat Bama and bear bryant for the first time in 15 years?

I was a fan of Casey...Sure he didn't make decisions on the field that I liked but he was good...not to mention a VERY smart QB....He made good decisions 99% of the time and I felt comfortable with him under center....but to sum it all up, yes I was a fan of his..But seriously guys, lay off Casey he's gone now...He was probably one of the best we've at UT

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."

THEODORE ROOSEVELT
(Paris Sorbonne,1910)

Enough Said!

The game that sent everyone against Casey was the SEC Championship against LSU, Casey's soph year. The people who dislike Casey started that night in Atlanta. Truth is we could'nt stop Mike Mauck and who ever took LaBrandon Toefields place. We are leading at half and have knocked out LSU's qb and rb and lose. Who's fault is this?

Attachments

• nationalchamps.gif
    nationalchamps.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
Originally posted by nationalchamps2006UT+Jan 20, 2005 4:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nationalchamps2006UT &#064; Jan 20, 2005 4:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-GVF@Jan 20, 2005 4:56 PM
Sarge and GAVol put the stats out there.  What bad can you say.  So he blew some big performances.  How many times did PM beat FLA.  Did he not get his but kicked all over by Nebraska.  He&#39;s UT #1.  Casey is Ut #2.  We really had some serious injury plagues and reloading going on for a couple of years that Casey had to overcome.  Starting lineman missed a total of 70+ man-games in one season.  No two games ever looked alike.  And we never had a losing season.  No one except a superior athlete and QB with a superior QB head for the game could have done that.  Let Casey have Mannings line up for 4 solid years, and who knows where that kid would&#39;ve landed.

is anyone old enough to remember the game when UT beat Bama and bear bryant for the first time in 15 years?[/quote]
If you mean for the first time in 12 years - it was 1982 and there is a brilliant description of it in the best game thread - man I love posts from the guy that wrote it :rolleyes:

Wow I am new here but I liked Casey. He was and is a good QB. :good: Casey continued to beat GA, beat FLA in the Swamp and kept Bama on the run too. I also like Rick and I hope we get Jimmy. The Clausen Family is a class act and I am glad they chose Tennessee.

but he really didnt do anything great. i mean after he lost stallworth he just started to suck. just my opinion though

Originally posted by vols2345@Jan 20, 2005 9:44 PM
but he really didnt do anything great. i mean after he lost stallworth he just started to suck. just my opinion though

:shakehead: This is why I hate this topic so much . . .

He won 10 games twice. His teams won or shared 2 SEC East titles. If not for a bad half against LSU in the SECCG, he would have been in the BCS Championship game his sophmore year. He beat Florida, he beat Michigan, he beat Miami . . .

I&#39;m not saying that he was one of the all time greats, but I think he took us as far as any QB could have taken us.

it just seemed like our offense was always playing like they were just breaking in the play book for him. we never really took deep shots down the field wants stallworth and washington left is what im trying to say i guess.

Great post GaVol. These people are unmerciful on one of the Top10 qb&#39;s ever to wear orange. He is a class act that played with as much heart as any Vol ever. Hurt, Well, hot, cold,ahead,behind he played. He left all he had on the field EVERY time he played. What more do we ask for?

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 20, 2005 8:45 PM
The game that sent everyone against Casey was the SEC Championship against LSU, Casey&#39;s soph year. The people who dislike Casey started that night in Atlanta. Truth is we could&#39;nt stop Mike Mauck and who ever took LaBrandon Toefields place. We are leading at half and have knocked out LSU&#39;s qb and rb and lose. Who&#39;s fault is this?

dont remind me.........those qb draws still haunt

to make a hand off on the goal line aginst georgia that wouldnt cause a chain reaction to have us get embarresed by georgia in neyland stadium.

just joking

Yeah, but it&#39;s hard to take shots down the field when the other team has absolutely no respect for your running game . . . but you&#39;re right about Donte leaving. It literally took us 2 years to get over losing Washington and Stallworth . . . tough to be the QB for a team with a spotty running game and no deep threat at wide receiver.

I was a Clausen fan, but I had issues with him as well. It seemed that he would give everything he had to win a big time ballgame, and then back off for the games that were no big deal. One game he would sacrifice himself to cross the pylon (like Bama 2003) and the next he would fall down 5 yds short of the 1st down. I didn&#39;t care that he was from Cali or that he had an attitude behind him. But when he didn&#39;t care about a game, you knew it.

VN Store

Back