Disband CFP Committee

There was a reason we took computers out of the selection process and it would be nuts to put them back in. There should be a hard and fast rule that if two teams that played each other are side-by-side, the winner should be on top. That’s a common sense solution that would eliminate some bias.

We need to get human rankings completely out of it. Humans have natural biases and you just can’t take that out.

Once it goes to 12 they need to take the top 2 teams from each P5 conference based on record not human rankings. Then come up with some way to pick a couple wild cards or G5 teams.

Human opinion shouldn’t come into play until all the statistical tie breakers are exhausted.

Picking the top two teams from each conference would not be the best teams to reach the playoffs. Some conferences are just much stronger than others. I can think of years sec would have teams ranked 3 and 4 in the conference that were very good teams. I can think of a few years. Ut, Fla, Bama, Ga. Auburn, Lsu. Lots of years all of these had good teams the same year, and to put 2 top team out of acc or big twelve over them would have certainly not been the top teams. I am all for computer rankings and the top 12 teams are in. With criteria put in a win against a ranking of 20-25 a certain amount of points, and more points to a 15-to 20 ranked and etc. then the top 12 teams are in with no biased at all.

There was a reason we took computers out of the selection process and it would be nuts to put them back in. There should be a hard and fast rule that if two teams that played each other are side-by-side, the winner should be on top. That’s a common sense solution that would eliminate some bias.

I liked the computer rankings, and what you are saying could be loaded into the computer rankings.

I would call them wild cards. If you can’t muster up being in the top two of your league then do you really deserve to be there?

There is no perfect system for 130 teams without expanding to something ridiculous like 24 teams and play for two more months. I would still rather have that be the starting point than human bias playing the the games on paper to determine who is in and out.

If “eyeball” test is how champions should be determined then let’s go back to the old bowl system and let the AP crown whoever they want.

You would certanly deserve to be the playoffs if you are number 3 in some conferences over say a runner up in the acc or some of the other weak conferences. All the criteria necessary could be put into the computer system, and you would come out with the 12 best teams, head to head with same record whoever won the head to head would rank ahead of the other one, and a point system entered for sos, and quality wins.

At the end of the day (or season) just like most times…….they got it right (with the playoff 4).

As much as we might not like it, or even agree.

Reactions: hog88
So, Tennessee is number one and gets beat by Georgia another top 4 ranked team and we drop to number 5.

TCU loses to a team not ranked in the top 10 even and they don’t drop at all.

You can’t justify that in any way.
The committee this year was not going to punish a P5 program for playing in a championship game and losing by 3. We had our chance and our loss provided the optics necessary to move us down the chain and below Bama.

So, Tennessee is number one and gets beat by Georgia another top 4 ranked team and we drop to number 5.

TCU loses to a team not ranked in the top 10 even and they don’t drop at all.

You can’t justify that in any way.

Championship games are NEVER judged the same as a regular season game nor should they be.

Once the season is over and a team is 12-0 going into their championship game there is a HUGE gap between them and the other teams.

They are playing an extra game, vs a good team. TCU played the best “other” team (over what Georgia, Michigan, USC, Clemson played).

If they got stomped they would have been moved down. They didn’t, they lost in OT to a team they have beaten by 10 previously, a team that is ranked 9th.

It simply means they were ALREADY that far above OSU. Seriously what does OSU have over TCU?

TCU has a better win
TCU has better SOS
TCU has better SOR
TCU lost by 3 in OT in an extra game by a team they have already beat

The #4 team literally has nothing on TCU except a brand.

Also TCU’s SOS is stronger than anyone else that is in the playoff

The most deserving 4 teams got in this year, but definitely not the best 4. Tennessee and Alabama are better than TCU and probably OSU. But 2 losses is is difficult to overcome no matter the level of completion.

This is all a moot point in 2024.

Can you remind me of why? Was it because they took margin of victory into account? I would like to see the computer rankings be part of the selection criteria.

NCAA basketball has a ton of analytics that the selection committee uses in their selection process. NCAA football does not seem to use any of this but the eye test.

They (NCAAF CFP selection committee) published "hard and fast" rules regarding how to rank two teams with same records (head-to-head, common opponents, conference championships, etc) but the humans just discarded that and did whatever they wanted to. THAT is the problem with humans selecting anything.

The bias that humans have makes them feel their "feelings" trump whatever pre-determined criteria that they put in place....i.e., the coding that humans put into place is trumped whenever they feel that the coding is wrong.

A computer cannot do that and will always default to the pre-determined coding for rankings....computers = unemotional ranking...humans = emotional overrides and bias into rankings.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
We used to have a system that was designed to help with the human element. You would get the coaches, the AP, and the computer ranking. The computer ranking was taking matched criteria and spitting it out. People complained about the metrics being too heavily relied on and that the eyeball and feel of a team at the end of the season needed more weight. Now, the human element is expected to match the criteria and overwrite your calculation for injuries, "how a team looked", and what the best matchup for viewers and CFB. It's really dumb and no way would I want to do that job. They should bring back the weighting and allow an algorithm to be heard.
All if it was ditched for the CFP. Typical of the NCAA. Dump the good stuff and keep highlighting what sticks.

Picking the top two teams from each conference would not be the best teams to reach the playoffs. Some conferences are just much stronger than others. I can think of years sec would have teams ranked 3 and 4 in the conference that were very good teams. I can think of a few years. Ut, Fla, Bama, Ga. Auburn, Lsu. Lots of years all of these had good teams the same year, and to put 2 top team out of acc or big twelve over them would have certainly not been the top teams. I am all for computer rankings and the top 12 teams are in. With criteria put in a win against a ranking of 20-25 a certain amount of points, and more points to a 15-to 20 ranked and etc. then the top 12 teams are in with no biased at all.

I think rankings need to be eliminated from the equation. So much depends on preseason which is just a bunch of guesses (see TAM and TN). Even the CFP committee that doesn’t release until week 9 is then clouded by the AP/Coaches because they’ve been listening to the media for the past 9 weeks. Once they make that first ranking they get stubborn about moving teams up if the one in front didn’t lose even if they played a cupcake.

Then you have scenarios like App State beating a wildly over ranked TAM. Now App St is ranked but don’t have any more ranked teams left on the schedule. Had they continued to win were they really deserving of their ranking based off TAM who tanked the rest of the season?

In my “top 2” scenario some good teams would be left out. But at least they would be eliminated by play on the field and not feelings based on past years success and the eye-ball test.

I will admit there would be some disparity once the SEC expands to 16 and the Big XII is left with 8. And picking the G5 teams would get complicated.

Ultimately I want something where the path is transparent and not reliant on human emotions.

Alabama deserves to be in over TCU because we all know they could beat TCU. It’s supposed to be the 4 best teams currently right now. The TV ratings will also be higher with Georgia , Bama, Ohio St and Michigan 4 blue bloods. I’m not a Bama fan but Bama is a much better team than TCU. We flushed our chance to get in the playoff away on Nov. 19 that was the last impression we left on the committee.
No way Bama should be in over TCU and us. We beat BAMA and smacked LSU at their home whom BAMA lost to at their home.

About the only people who think Tennessee should even sniff the playoffs are Tennessee fans. That's fairly consistent from most corners. Reese Davis mentioned he had to lobby for Tennessee to even have their resume on the screen.

We had the worst resume of the 4 teams looking to get in, in the top 6. A last second victory over Alabama at home is not enough to change that. It's a game that could've gone either way.
Wrong

About the only people who think Tennessee should even sniff the playoffs are Tennessee fans. That's fairly consistent from most corners. Reese Davis mentioned he had to lobby for Tennessee to even have their resume on the screen.

We had the worst resume of the 4 teams looking to get in, in the top 6. A last second victory over Alabama at home is not enough to change that. It's a game that could've gone either way.

So who on Bama’s resume would have elevated them up over TN?

The most deserving 4 teams got in this year, but definitely not the best 4. Tennessee and Alabama are better than TCU and probably OSU. But 2 losses is is difficult to overcome no matter the level of completion.

This is all a moot point in 2024.
That depends on how you view what was accomplished by those deserving 4. You could make a case for Bama if they had some true quality wins (top 10, or 2 top 15 etc) but they don't. Even their best wins are by single digits.
Just because a team matches up better also doesn't make them the better team necessarily.
TCU does have that 1st double digit win over K Sate and IMO got robbed Sat. They also beat Texas just like Bama, also @ Texas but with a healthy Ewers.
So the way I see it, people like Bama > TCU because of their recent success, SEC success and Heisman qb. But that's gut.
I also don't think Tenn is better than TCU even with a healthy Hooker. Maybe TCU is completely unprepared and Tenn jumps on them like LSU and gets them out of character... but Tenn's D is trash and Duggan is very, very good. Their D is solid.
And when you're ranking by most deserving, that's supposed to indicate who is the better team.

Alabama deserves to be in over TCU because we all know they could beat TCU. It’s supposed to be the 4 best teams currently right now. The TV ratings will also be higher with Georgia , Bama, Ohio St and Michigan 4 blue bloods. I’m not a Bama fan but Bama is a much better team than TCU. We flushed our chance to get in the playoff away on Nov. 19 that was the last impression we left on the committee.
This is so badly wrong I'm so glad you're not on the committee.
#1 You don't rank someone based on what you THINK they would do in a future matchup with someone.
#2 If that's the case, S Carolina should've been lobbying for a spot.

Boo Corrigan sounds like he would be the sleazy judge in Hazard County that let Boss Hogg run crooked speed traps.

Reactions: BenGrimm
My bottom line issue is credibility. How does number 4 lose to number 8 and drop 6 spots and number 3 lose to number 9 and not drop at all?

This of course with Bama being ranked ahead of us with 4 on the WHOLE LIST of their own published criteria in our favor and NONE in theirs.
Don't like the 12 team deal with byes, but it does provide protection from a lot of the stupidity or bias it took to get their final decisions. NOT saying we deserved to be in the 4, but should have been ahead of Bama. Kind of hope they figure out a way to take losses out of the calculation. Give points for each win in top 30 (need to add 5), add them up and there you have it. Hypothetically who should care if you lose to 1, 18, and 28 if you also beat 5, 8, 10 and 15? Points = 30- final ranking. Schedule wisely and don't duck competition. Earn your way in, don't avoid losses.

We also crapped on Bama’s chances of getting in and I’m good with that. Bama is probably a better team than Michigan and Ohio State as well if you want to get down to it but they lost two games. They lost their two biggest games. They narrowly won several games this year.

I can’t decide if you’re really a Georgia fan or Bama fan. Just know you’re not a Tennessee fan, hopeful or otherwise.

I have no trouble whatsoever w the top 4 teams. However, I didn't realize though till this year that there is apparently a lot of leeway in how they measure everything. They got a break this year but it is easy to see where their bias could come into play some year - unless of course the system is scrapped and or replaced.

We also crapped on Bama’s chances of getting in and I’m good with that. Bama is probably a better team than Michigan and Ohio State as well if you want to get down to it but they lost two games. They lost their two biggest games. They narrowly won several games this year.

I can’t decide if you’re really a Georgia fan or Bama fan. Just know you’re not a Tennessee fan, hopeful or otherwise.
Oh im a Tennessee fan maybe a slighty jaded one sometimes but still a diehard fan. If you don’t believe just give me your email and I will send you some pics of all my Tennesseee collectibles and other stuff.

VN Store

Back