Disband CFP Committee

Bama bias involved along with the fact UT hasn’t been relevant in 20 years on this stage. It’s expected.

No it's getting lambasted. If we lose in a close game to what is viewed as a slightly above average South Carolina team then there is a tough discussion. Frankly, I don't even think this was close.

South Carolina beat Clemson too but Clemson has absolutely no respect from the committee or anyone else. The ACC is viewed as the weakest Power 5 conference.

It doesn't need to be a point system IMO. It just needs to be well crafted criteria that is ALWAYS followed. Examples:

- Teams with the same record: Position based on H2H if the two teams played.
- Record against the top 25 in the CPF ranking (AP and Coaches polls are very political)
- Extra credit to the conference champion WINNERS. No participation trophy for the losers - they lost.
- Comparison to like opponents if there are any

etc.

We need to get human rankings completely out of it. Humans have natural biases and you just can’t take that out.

Once it goes to 12 they need to take the top 2 teams from each P5 conference based on record not human rankings. Then come up with some way to pick a couple wild cards or G5 teams.

Human opinion shouldn’t come into play until all the statistical tie breakers are exhausted.

Reactions: 90 Vol
Apparently not based on the CFP which is all that matters now.

It was based on their stated criteria. In football we have the Super Bowl. Were the Giants better than New England a few years ago when New England was unbeaten going into the Super Bowl? That day they were and that's all that mattered. Head to head is first the standard for solving tie-breakers in every sport I can think of. Even in college football for apparently everything except the CFP committee regarding Tennessee. Because every other head to head winner with the same record was ahead of the team they'd beaten besides us.

I'd be happy with the original BCS, befor the good sportsmanship pansies took the good stuff out, and have an 8 or so team play off from that.

Reactions: LadyVolette
We need to get human rankings completely out of it. Humans have natural biases and you just can’t take that out.

Once it goes to 12 they need to take the top 2 teams from each P5 conference based on record not human rankings. Then come up with some way to pick a couple wild cards or G5 teams.

Human opinion shouldn’t come into play until all the statistical tie breakers are exhausted.

That's not a good way to do it either. Why should the Pac 12 get two teams in this year if it were 12? Their champion was beaten by a bottom tier SEC team and their 3rd place team was beaten 49-6 by the SEC 1st place team. Even making champions mandatory is purely political. Their criteria would work fine for picking the teams, if they would actually use it. They just chose to ignore it, specifically in our case.

They should be penalized by the ncaa for Lack of Institutional Control (unable to control their obvious bias).
If a committee meant to determine the 4 most-deserving teams can't be unbiased, then they should be disbanded.

That's not a good way to do it either. Why should the Pac 12 get two teams in this year if it were 12? Their champion was beaten by a bottom tier SEC team and their 3rd place team was beaten 49-6 by the SEC 1st place team. Even making champions mandatory is purely political. Their criteria would work fine for picking the teams, if they would actually use it. They just chose to ignore it, specifically in our case.

That’s just the way it goes. 9-7 teams get into the NFL playoffs because they won a weak division.

Reactions: peaygolf
They absolutely could use a software algorithm based on actual data and metrics to determine who the 4 best teams in the country are, but it's intentionally not done that way.

That’s just the way it goes. 9-7 teams get into the NFL playoffs because they won a weak division.
exactly ................ and there is only 32 NFL teams, compared to 130odd FBS teams.
Mathematically impossible to have equal schedules.

The schedule whiners would like there to be 12 teams in the FBS and everyone play each other. That's it!

Play who your supposed to and beat those teams, and you get rewarded.

Only because I have always felt that it has always been conference politics and the only time it wasn’t was during the computer years.

When I was in school I would go to the game and then watch the nationally televised game and think how much better that we and/or our SEC opponent looked than the ranked big 10 teams.

Hopefully that explains my response.

Oh, I agree with you on that. But you don't think ad money has any influence? Because it sure seemed to me like the media was cheerleading for USC right up until the writing was finally on the wall. I think they want as many large markets across the country as they can get to be represented. Large markets = $$$.

Boo Corrigan should be promoted from NC State AD to LRTC/JSA (Locker Room Toilet Cleaner/Jock Strap Attendant).
His "logic" in ranking Alabama above Tennessee is completely asinine.

44 percent of NFL teams make the playoffs. A 12 team College playoff is less than 10 percent. When you are dealing with such a small amount you can't seed it with bad teams because they finished 2nd in a 10 team league when 5th place in a 16 team league might be better than the other league champion.

So, Tennessee is number one and gets beat by Georgia another top 4 ranked team and we drop to number 5.

TCU loses to a team not ranked in the top 10 even and they don’t drop at all.

You can’t justify that in any way.
Sure you can. When we lost there were many undefeated teams left. When TCU lost there was only two undefeated teams left.

What's the problem with the final 4? Who deserves to be in the CFP? They have the final 4 correct. I'm confused why so many threads crying about the standings? We're 6th because we had a bad loss, not a close loss, but a very bad loss. Did y'all watch the game? We were not competitive at all. SC scored TDs, 9 times.

Reactions: GoVolunteers
So, Tennessee is number one and gets beat by Georgia another top 4 ranked team and we drop to number 5.

TCU loses to a team not ranked in the top 10 even and they don’t drop at all.

You can’t justify that in any way.
It was a close loss in OT in the championship game.

Only two teams belong in the playoff.

The two teams that beat everyone they played.

Reactions: Raebo
So by focusing on Alabama, they avoid the comparison with TN, which is stronger ... 2nd place in the SEC, wins over LSU and Bama. 5-1 record against ranked teams during the season. Then there are the offensive stats.

I think Bama was placed where it was to avoid comparison to any teams not UGA or UM to Tennessee. Just my opinion
We loss by 25 to SC. 25....we were not even competitive.

What's the problem with the final 4? Who deserves to be in the CFP? They have the final 4 correct. I'm confused why so many threads crying about the standings? We're 6th because we had a bad loss, not a close loss, but a very bad loss. Did y'all watch the game? We were not competitive at all. SC scored TDs, 9 times.

No issue with the final 4, but we should be ahead of Alabama. Alabama lost to the team that got beat badly by South Carolina after all. Combine that with no wins over any very good or better teams, and barely beating a few others and they are clearly behind Tennessee.

I think that,during the TCU game ,they showed a live shot of all these people sitting and watching the game.This was reported to be the selection committee.They looked disinterested except for when they were getting another large bowl of cheese curds.

VN Store

Back