Disband CFP Committee

44 percent of NFL teams make the playoffs. A 12 team College playoff is less than 10 percent. When you are dealing with such a small amount you can't seed it with bad teams because they finished 2nd in a 10 team league when 5th place in a 16 team league might be better than the other league champion.

I would call them wild cards. If you can’t muster up being in the top two of your league then do you really deserve to be there?

There is no perfect system for 130 teams without expanding to something ridiculous like 24 teams and play for two more months. I would still rather have that be the starting point than human bias playing the the games on paper to determine who is in and out.

If “eyeball” test is how champions should be determined then let’s go back to the old bowl system and let the AP crown whoever they want.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Why can’t there be clear cut criteria and or a point system that does away with the selection process like the NFL. This sh!+ show is like NFL on Fox or NFL Today on CBS talking heads picking the playoff team for the NFL
It’s in grapevine. I can be there in 20 min. What are your orders sir !!

Alabama deserves to be in over TCU because we all know they could beat TCU. It’s supposed to be the 4 best teams currently right now. The TV ratings will also be higher with Georgia , Bama, Ohio St and Michigan 4 blue bloods. I’m not a Bama fan but Bama is a much better team than TCU. We flushed our chance to get in the playoff away on Nov. 19 that was the last impression we left on the committee.
I'll say it again: let's just play the regular season for tv and concessions. No need to really even keep score. We all know Alabama and Georgia have the two best rosters, so let them play in the championship game. Nobody else deserves consideration. (not gonna bother with the blue font)

What's the problem with the final 4? Who deserves to be in the CFP? They have the final 4 correct. I'm confused why so many threads crying about the standings? We're 6th because we had a bad loss, not a close loss, but a very bad loss. Did y'all watch the game? We were not competitive at all. SC scored TDs, 9 times.

And OSU is not in the playoffs because they had a bad loss - oh wait, that is not true! The problem is that the criteria is not applied consistently. Some teams are forgiven - others are not.

So losses weigh heavier than wins?

It depends. I think the committee figures out who they want to be where and then determines what criteria they can use to defend that so -

- For some teams the how much they loss by is a factor (TN) for others it doesn't matter (OSU and LSU)
- For other teams it the less number of losses they have (OSU and TCU)
- For other teams it is who they beat.
- For other teams is it who they lost to.

And after they have done that, they rank 5 on to hopefully reduce as much noise as possible.

There was no way they could put TN at 5 and Bama at 6 after all the "media" talk even though that is how it should have been.

It depends. I think the committee figures out who they want to be where and then determines what criteria they can use to defend that so -

- For some teams the how much they loss by is a factor (TN) for others it doesn't matter (OSU and LSU)
- For other teams it the less number of losses they have (OSU and TCU)
- For other teams it is who they beat.
- For other teams is it who they lost to.

And after they have done that, they rank 5 on to hopefully reduce as much noise as possible.

There was no way they could put TN at 5 and Bama at 6 after all the "media" talk even though that is how it should have been.

Your second sentence is the flaw in the whole system. They decided who they want first instead of the criteria deciding.

Watching the CFP interview with Sonny Dykes hoping someone would ask if he knows how to run an under center QB sneak with the best player on his team.

The guy could be undefeated.
Plus Duggan weighs 225-230 . Put him under center a back behind him and push his big ass into the end zone. Maybe the dumbest play calling I have ever seen from inside the 1 yard line.

Your second sentence is the flaw in the whole system. They decided who they want first instead of the criteria deciding.

I totally agree - I think the committee knew they could not (1) justify putting Bama at 3 and (2) justify Bama being selected over TN. They did not want teams from the same conferences playing each other in the semifinals either. Leaving TCU in the mix and leaving them where they are solved both issues. Had Michigan lost or TCU lost badly, it would have been a different story. They can justify TCU because it was an OT loss. If it had been a loss like USC suffered, they would then have the USC comparison to resolve. USC really got a bad deal - they dropped from 4 to 10 for losing to a team they had already lost to - so they got penalized for that twice.

Clemson and LSU losing the week before upset the path to remove TCU. Had Clemson beat SC, it is very likely they would have been 6 last week and would have moved into the top 4 over TCU.

And yes had we beat SC we would have been in the same position. TCU needs to send SC a thank you card!

Georgia will kill OSU and Michigan may let their 3rd string play and use the band for mop up duty....

What’s the argument? We should’ve been ahead of Bama? Does it really matter now? I’d rather play a night game than a noon game anyway.

Ultimately I agree that outcome for us is fine. We should have been ahead of Bama but personally I am happy with the OB.

It’s more about the human bias in the committee being a problem with the whole set up.

Let’s look at seeding for the NFL. If two teams have the same records they look at head to head and then common opponents. They don’t drop a team because one of their losses was to the 1-15 Lions unless they both played them.

Maybe it would have been better if they'd used the bcs to pick the 4 or 12 playoff teams

Plus Duggan weighs 225-230 . Put him under center a back behind him and push his big ass into the end zone. Maybe the dumbest play calling I have ever seen from inside the 1 yard line.
You could put a 300+lb lineman behind him.

Duggan was pumped. He would've gotten it. I'm surprised he didn't "Sheriff" a "play override" in the huddle because Dykes' call was trash.

I got a kick out of everyone saying a team shouldn’t be punished for losing in a conference championship. Then they dropped USC for that precise reason but not TCU

I mean if this collection of nimwits doesn’t know college football, who does?
  • Mitch Barnhart, Kentucky athletics director
  • Tom Burman, Wyoming athletics director
  • Boo Corrigan, NC State athletics director
  • Rick George, Colorado athletics director
  • Chet Gladchuk, Navy athletics director
  • Jim Grobe, former head coach at Baylor/Wake Forest/Ohio
  • Warde Manuel, Michigan athletics director
  • Will Shields, former Nebraska offensive lineman
  • Gene Taylor, Kansas State athletics director
  • Joe Taylor, Virginia Union University vice president of athletics and community wellness
  • John Urschel, former Penn State offensive lineman
  • Rod West, former Notre Dame linebacker
  • Kelly Whiteside, Montclair State associate professor in sports media and journalism
How the hell did a professor swindle his/her way onto the committee?

Reactions: allvol123
I got a kick out of everyone saying a team shouldn’t be punished for losing in a conference championship. Then they dropped USC for that precise reason but not TCU
It’s called, “We gonna do what we want and y’all gonna like it ‘cause we’re the committee and you ain’t.”

Why can’t there be clear cut criteria and or a point system that does away with the selection process like the NFL. This sh!+ show is like NFL on Fox or NFL Today on CBS talking heads picking the playoff team for the NFL

its no different than the college basketball tournament selections and the FCS football. Been done for years this way and won't likely change anytime soon. In fact, it will get worse going to 12 teams.

Reactions: mkil5 and All4TN
So, Tennessee is number one and gets beat by Georgia another top 4 ranked team and we drop to number 5.

TCU loses to a team not ranked in the top 10 even and they don’t drop at all.

You can’t justify that in any way.

And Ohio State gets blown out on their home field and only drops 3 spots, and our loss was not near as big of a blowout and on Ga home field

VN Store

Back