Disney: The Most Evil Business In The World

We went between Christmas and New Years about 6 or 7 years ago. They closed Magic Kingdom entry gates because it was at capacity. At one point we were stuck on the bridge to Adventureland shoulder to shoulder with other people. I expected crowded. I didn't expect the mass of humanity unable to move because there was no room to maneuver. I decided on that bridge I am never going back during peak season again.

Yeah, we went on the Monday before Thanksgiving and that was a very bad idea. I had a 5-month old who couldn't even enjoy the park. We went with my wife's family, and it wasn't fun for us at all.

We went last year in early September on a Thursday when it was still hot and it was too crowded but much more tolerable. Plus the kids were 4 and 18 months, so much more fun in that regard. Going again in September and hopefully it's gonna be more calm with the price hike.

The crowds at Disneyland had become insane. They needed to raise the price. It's basic economics. I'd rather spend an extra $50 on each ticket then be asses to elbows everywhere in the park.
So poor people need not attend, eh? Keep the rabble out and all 🙄. How dare they impose their mere presence on their economic betters?
DBA17856-8F91-42A3-B220-63B4FD68E93D.gif

48B in debt (40B with cash on hand), which was down from 54B the prior year.
Disney+ losing money hand over fist. Indiana Jones, Little Mermaid, Elemental, and Buzz Lightyear I believe lost over $1 billion combined.
The Titanic was profitable too until those last 2 and a half hours you know. But you can only take on water for so long before things take a path of their own
And now the writers, actors, and producers are now all on strike 😬. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Reactions: Majors
What do you guys think is happening to Disney? Disney made $28B profit in 2022. That's 28 thousand millions of dollars.

They didn't make $28B in 2022. That's gross profit, which is before SG&A expenses, interest expense, taxes, and depreciation.

Disney's net income was $3.1B and their cash flow from operations was $6.0B...

From a business point of view, I've never been more wrong about anything than I have been about Disney +. Netflix makes loads of money by (mostly) licensing and showing the content of other companies. Disney owns/makes all their stuff so it should be a slam dunk.....or so I thought.

As Iger said recently, even when the shows have glowing reviews from critics and viewers (Andor, Hawkeye, WandaVision) they simply aren't driving subscriptions.

Saw this posted elsewhere, apparently this is the new 7 dwarves in disneys live action Snow White 😂
View attachment 563615

Meh. It's been done.
iu

I was responding to the suggestion that raising ticket prices further would cause less crowding. Which of course is the same as saying price poor people out so rich people have more space.

No, it's not. For one thing, the price hikes did a number on season pass people so that out of state visitors like myself benefit.

Nice try with the gotcha BS. Budget is tight right now with my family. We're making it work because this is a priority, and I'm glad to have a less crowded experience since this is our one big indulgence for the year. Been 3.5 years since my wife and I treated ourselves to a real getaway.

Nice try with the gotcha BS. Budget is tight right now with my family. We're making it work because this is a priority, and I'm glad to have a less crowded experience since this is our one big indulgence for the year. Been 3.5 years since my wife and I treated ourselves to a real getaway.
I know it isn’t the most exciting but I highly recommend packing your lunches when going to the park. A locker rental is wayyyy cheaper than having to buy all food and drinks at the park.

Reactions: n_huffhines
No, it's not. For one thing, the price hikes did a number on season pass people so that out of state visitors like myself benefit.

I apologize for apparently misinterpreting you.

Reactions: n_huffhines
The high cost of vacationing at Walt Disney World

Walt Disney World, considered the vacation kingdom of the world, is reportedly less crowded than in recent years, and some are pointing to the exorbitant cost as one reason why.

Wait times at the House of Mouse's signature resort in central Florida are down significantly this year compared with recent years, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal.

The shorter wait times have been blamed on various factors, including Disney's battle with Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) and weather, but the cost has been a constant source of debate for recent lower attendance. While Disney CEO Bob Iger told CNBC's Squawk Box that "pricing is not an issue," he did previously concede that the company may have been "a little bit too aggressive about some of our pricing" for the theme park, while speaking in March.

When looking at a hypothetical family vacation for a family of four, meaning a mother, father, and two children, ages 6 and 8 years old, from July 14 through July 21, 2024, the grand total is $6,711.62.

The package for this scenario is a seven-night stay at a standard room at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, which is advertised as a "moderate resort," along with six days of single park tickets for each person and the Disney Dining Plan for the duration of the stay for each person.

When taking away the hotel stay and the dining plan, single park tickets for six days for that family of four come out to $2,745.08.

Not included in the vacation package is Disney's skip-the-line service, Genie+, which costs a different price per day based on the park. The highest price Disney has charged for the service was $35 per person in April during spring break season.

The high cost of vacationing at Walt Disney World

Disney, ESPN Urge Sports Leagues to Buy Stake in Flailing Cable Sports Network

ESPN has sent out requests to the big three sports leagues to consider buying a stake in the cable sports network as layoffs and cost-cutting continues, according to a report.

As its financial losses grow by the day, Disney said it would begin looking for ways to unload large chunks of ownership stakes in TV networks, including ESPN, ABC, FX, National Geographic, Freeform, and others.

Now, at least where it concerns ESPN, it looks like that effort includes offering a stake to the major leagues.

Iger added that he intended to take an “expansive” view of how to push off costs onto others. As part of that effort to get out from under the costs of running ESPN, Disney has reportedly held preliminary talks with the NBA, NFL, and MLB to join them in losing money on ESPN.

Disney owns 80% of ESPN and aims to spread its ownership position around. Hearst owns the other 20%.

Disney, ESPN Urge Sports Leagues to Buy Stake in Flailing Cable Sports Network

Bomani Jones won’t have his ESPN contract renewed

The sports media bloodbath at ESPN apparently isn’t over.

Bomani Jones appears to be the latest big-name sports personality to leave the Worldwide Leader.

The network isn’t planning on renewing Jones’ contract when it expires at the end of the month, according to a report from Front Office Sports.

The breakup comes weeks after HBO canceled Jones’ “Game Theory with Bomani Jones,” which premiered in 2022 but struggled to gain viewership.

bomani-1.jpg

Bomani Jones onstage during “Colin In Black And White”

Bomani Jones won't have his ESPN contract renewed

Disney motion to dismiss state lawsuit from DeSantis-appointed board Denied by Judge

An Orange County, Florida, judge denied Disney's motion to dismiss or stay a lawsuit filed by the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District board, which governs the district encompassing the Walt Disney World Resort, in state court.

The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District brought the countersuit against Disney in May and claimed that the company is trying to contest Florida's "people’s sovereignty," saying Disney's "puppet government" made a deal that violates "Florida constitutional, statutory, and common law." Judge Margaret Schreiber of the Circuit Court of the 9th Judicial Circuit in Orange County denied Disney's claims the lawsuit by the district was moot in a decision on Friday.

Disney motion to dismiss state lawsuit from DeSantis-appointed board denied by judge

VN Store

Back