Do we jump 7-10 spots?

It's just different. We simply took care of a team we were supposed to beat.

If we put a whoopin' on OU like we did NC State, expect a jump.

We were already ahead of NC State, expected to take them easily, and did. Why do we deserve a big jump?
Suppose to beat them by 7 and did it by 40 playing by all accounts a sloppy game at times.

Suppose to beat them by 7 and did it by 40 playing by all accounts a sloppy game at times.
The issue isn't our win but...... let's say we struggle with Kent State but still win, would you be okay with the AP poll dinging us down about 4 positions even though we won?

Folks here are wanting teams who won to get dropped several positions. It's just not realistic.

Unless, I guess, you'd be okay with the same thing happening to us. Nobody here is likely in THAT camp.

The issue isn't our win but...... let's say we struggle with Kent State but still win, would you be okay with the AP poll dinging us down about 4 positions even though we won?

Folks here are wanting teams who won to get dropped several positions. It's just not realistic.

Unless, I guess, you'd be okay with the same thing happening to us. Nobody here is likely in THAT camp.
I didn’t say that. What I addressed was you saying we beat a team we are suppose to beat. Beating a team we are suppose to vs dominating them is two different things.

I don’t care if they drop or not, but to answer you question, yes. I believe teams should be objectively ranked from week to week.

But I don’t care where we rank. Win and that sorts itself out…

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution

Last week, Oregon struggled to beat Idaho and dropped from 3 to 7.

I didn’t say that. What I addressed was you saying we beat a team we are suppose to beat. Beating a team we are suppose to vs dominating them is two different things.

I don’t care if they drop or not, but to answer you question, yes. I believe teams should be objectively ranked from week to week.

But I don’t care where we rank. Win and that sorts itself out…
Agreed. Our first huge test is Oklahoma.

To be elite, we need to beat the elite. When we are pretty certain we're going to beat GA and/or Bama, then we'll back where we want in the SEC and the nation.

Oklahoma is the first step. Anything before that is just a tune up. We DO have a chance to prove ourselves this year, but it's not by crushing teams like NC State.

Reactions: Voltrapnbama

My problem is, there are teams that often voted higher preseason than what they deserve, and prove out to be frauds (Notre Dame, Penn State, for example). Notre Dame lost, Penn State almost lost to Bowling Green at their own stadium. You don't think Penn State should drop after that game?

Reactions: Voltrapnbama
Agreed. Our first huge test is Oklahoma.

To be elite, we need to beat the elite. When we are pretty certain we're going to beat GA and/or Bama, then we'll back where we want in the SEC and the nation.

Oklahoma is the first step. Anything before that is just a tune up. We DO have a chance to prove ourselves this year, but it's not by crushing teams like NC State.
Oh I don’t disagree with NCSTATE. We have done that before and meh. At this point though, going back to our original debate, I’m not sure OU will move the needle either.

The way they have played, it’s one of those win and no one cares but lose and we suck type games. If we can go in there and dominate, it would be a solid road win given our road woes but nothing special at this point

My problem is, there are teams that often voted higher preseason than what they deserve, and prove out to be frauds (Notre Dame, Penn State, for example). Notre Dame lost, Penn State almost lost to Bowling Green at their own stadium. You don't think Penn State should drop after that game?
Do teams get legacy votes? You bet.
It's it fair? Of course not.
Does Penn State deserve to drop? IMO, yes.
Does TN deserve to drop if we struggle with Kent State? Uhhhhhh....... well..... a win is a......

As long as we're going to want everyone else to get punished for "bad wins" we have to take our lumps for a "bad win" too.

You're okay with that for UT?

Oh I don’t disagree with NCSTATE. We have done that before and meh. At this point though, going back to our original debate, I’m not sure OU will move the needle either.

The way they have played, it’s one of those win and no one cares but lose and we suck type games. If we can go in there and dominate, it would be a solid road win given our road woes but nothing special at this point
OU is the start. They're an SEC school now and we need to be a force in the SEC.

Our program rises and falls nationally on beating Alabama and Georgia until we've beaten them enough that it's expected. Hell, I'll toss in Florida too because we're jinxed against them.

To get the "legacy votes" and "legacy bumps" from the AP you need to be a legacy program. We need to return to that status but we haven't yet.

Does TN deserve to drop if we struggle with Kent State? Uhhhhhh....... well..... a win is a......

As long as we're going to want everyone else to get punished for "bad wins" we have to take our lumps for a "bad win" too.

I’m absolutely ok with it. Because fluke games like that can be made up. Struggle against Kent State and drop a spot or 2 and the. Go back into Norman and win on the road and we are back in the running for the playoffs and rankings in affected. All teams have bad games, it’s the consistent bad games that kill me. 2 struggle wins in a row is enough to warrant some movement. Should OU stay where they are? I don’t think so. But they will say the same thing, they beat us next week and it won’t matter. They would be undefeated and a top 15 team.

Because PSU, Oregon, and Alabama all struggled. Notre Dame and Michigan Lost. Meanwhile, we covered our spread by 30 pts in 3 quarters of play and the other team was happy to let us run out the clock.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Alabama ended up winning 42-16.

Reactions: adam.vol
Sounds right. FPI says 5th, ELO says 8th and Massey of the old BCS computer rankings says 6th, factor in AP media biases were probably where you predict. Ceiling 7th Floor 10th
He said a bump of 3 for sure. Wouldn’t that make the floor 11th?

Steve Wiseman’s AP Top 25 ballot, Just as an FYI

1 Georgia 2 Texas 3 Ohio State 4 Mississippi 5 Tennessee 6 Alabama 7 USC 8 Missouri 9 Penn State 10 Oregon 11 Utah 12 Miami 13 Oklahoma 14 Kansas State 15 Oklahoma State 16 Iowa State 17 LSU 18 Arizona 19 Michigan 20 Louisville 21 Northern Illinois 22 Notre Dame 23 Illinois 24 Memphis 25 Clemson

Also this guy on Fox, He has us at 4th.

I don’t think we will move up that much. There is a solid block of voters who habitually underrate the Vols.
I am not going to fixate on the polls yet. Now if we beat Oklahoma on the road; then we better move way up.
The one thing a Heupel team still has to show to prove that we belong is a tough win in a very hostile game on the road. (Yes i do remember LSU) That is a mental hurdle and I think this team has what it takes. But we have to prove it. This is our chance.

If UT was top ten and struggled to beat Kent State while another team higher above us had a more impressive win, I would expect to drop.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Alabama ended up winning 42-16.

You are correct.

The end score is misleading in that it was a 1 point game for until 10:04 remaining in the 4th. Alabama won because they have greater roster depth than SFU, but to me it shows that like last year they are largely underperforming and learning to execute on the fly.

I followed the game as closely as I could last night and this was the impression that I got.

If UT was top ten and struggled to beat Kent State while another team higher above us had a more impressive win, I would expect to drop.
The issue with top tier teams is that it's hard to have an impressive win.

We hung points all over UTC and held them to virtually nothing and could've made it much worse. Is that impressive?

Is beating NC State all over the field impressive?

If we're going to be a top tier team we need to have high expectations of drilling GA and Bama. We'll be in every conversation of elite teams, like we were in the 90's, if we start beating the NEXT level and not expecting too much from beating schools we should run off the field.

The issue with top tier teams is that it's hard to have an impressive win.

We hung points all over UTC and held them to virtually nothing and could've made it much worse. Is that impressive?

Is beating NC State all over the field impressive?

If we're going to be a top tier team we need to have high expectations of drilling GA and Bama. We'll be in every conversation of elite teams, like we were in the 90's, if we start beating the NEXT level and not expecting too much from beating schools we should run off the field.
I don't disagree with you at all there. For us to take the next step, we need to handle Florida like we should, we should road games against good teams, and ultimately take our share from Georgia.

I don't disagree with you at all there. For us to take the next step, we need to handle Florida like we should, we should road games against good teams, and ultimately take our share from Georgia.
That's the position teams like GA, Bama, Ohio State, and previously Michigan find themselves.

There's virtually no team they shouldn't beat and most they should beat handily. That's why I bristle at the "not an impressive win" argument.

Because Bama struggled yesterday should UT worry less about them? Of course not, so what exactly does struggling matter when it comes to teams you know are talented? Not much.

I have looking at this for the last 45 minutes. Oregon isnt doing to well, Penn State didn’t look good, ND lost, Michigan lost, Mizzou just cant be in front of Vols, Utah was a very close win.

I must logically put Vols at #6. If not, tell me why!
Thank you voters for mostly putting our beloved Tennessee Vols close to where they belong in the polls.

VN Store

Back