Does UT Compare with Stanford vs. Oregon?

I think some of y'all are confused about what a good coach is capable of.

A good coach can turn a program around from a loser into a winner.

However, a good coach usually can not take a terrible team and turn them around in one season.

Very rarely does that happen.

In addition, along the same lines, I think people are beginning to overestimate butch jones abilities.

He is not god. He has coached teams that lost games. His average season is around 8-4.

He's more than likely like every other good coach. He needs quality talent with time in his system. He doesn't have either yet. What he has is quality talent in spots with no experience in his system. He doesn't even know yet what to expect from these guys in crucial situations.

I mean damn, no one is even sure who the starting 22 is yet and at some of the most crucial positions

Damnit...I want to dislike you, but in about 95% of threads you post in I agree...Stop it.

Reactions: 1 person
I get it, but does that mean Vandy could beat Oregon? I mean they're in the SEC and play SEC style football?

Seriously guys, let's look at Stanford's past few seasons...

Year:W-L
2012:12-2
2011:11-2
2010:12-1

We are NOT Stanford. I'm not trying to be buzz killington, but seriously I just don't get this comparison.

I don't either but some people got their heads in the clouds and are not thinking straight.

TN is due one of these games. How many times during CPF tenure when TN was ranked in the top 10 did TN lose to a far inferior team due to some crazy ball bounces or turnovers. Unraked Memphis 1996, Unranked Ark 1999, etc.

If TN is a well coached team, and Oregon has some untimely turnovers we can have a fighting chance in the fourth quarter.

could we at least wait until we have played our 2 joke games before this one...if we look like garbage our first 2 games (which is possible considering we are in an entirely new system) then this wont even be a discussion. if oregon is the same team theyve been recently and we are in the transition period it will be ugly. maybe we can make it a good game if we manage the clock well and get some breaks but people are talking like weve been dominating people with our run game and defense the last 5 years when weve lacked both

Stanford is not equivalent to UT. Not even close.

2012 marked the 1st time since the 1920s that Stanford won 8 games, 4 years in row.

History doesn't block and catch balls and run.

Who was it who said Mariota can't beat you with his arm? :dance2:

Marcus throws better than he runs, and he runs better than UT will see the rest of the year, from a QB.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I remember everyone said Stanford would be so bad without Andrew Luck. Most people said they would win 4-5 games. They could have easily went undefeated last year and been in the national championship. They were a play or two away in their 2 losses. If anything maybe TN fans should compare themselves in that way.

VN Store

Back