"Dream job"

vollygirl

GO VOLS!!!
Staff member
What do y'all think about Jones saying this is his dream job?

Before he was hired, I had the attitude that the Tennessee head coaching job should be anybody's dream job.

And then, when we hired somebody who actually said it was, I thought "yeah, right, just saying what we want to hear".

As time has gone by though, I'm thinking why wouldn't it be his dream job? The SEC, the greatest traditions in the SEC, the best fan base in the SEC. Why wouldn't it be his dream job?

I wanna believe he was sincere. Whatcha think?

Reactions: 4 people

Before he was hired, I had the attitude that the Tennessee head coaching job should be anybody's dream job.

And then, when we hired somebody who actually said it was, I thought "yeah, right, just saying what we want to hear".

As time has gone by though, I'm thinking why wouldn't it be his dream job? The SEC, the greatest traditions in the SEC, the best fan base in the SEC. Why wouldn't it be his dream job?

I kinda think he's telling the truth.. If you watched when we played them you could tell by they way he was looking around at the fans and place he was kinda in awe IMO

Reactions: 6 people
I think he is fairly sincere in what he said. The SEC is at the top the mountain as far as football goes. He gets to coach at one of the top tier schools in the SEC. He's not having to coach at one of the Miss schools, Vandy, or UK. He gets to jump in at the top.

Best traditions and fans are debatable, but none-the-less he's here and I think he's glad to be here.

Plus, UT probably triples his salary from UC.

Reactions: 3 people
I kinda think he's telling the truth.. If you watched when we played them you could tell by they way he was looking around at the fans and place he was kinda in awe IMO

That's what I keep thinking about too. If you're a coach who thinks you know how to make a team win (which he has done), and you go into Neyland Stadium, wouldn't you see that as your ultimate dream job?

I honestly think he wants to bring Tennessee back to the top, and he is going to do everything he can to make it happen.

I am really happy he is our coach.

Reactions: 4 people

I totally think Butch was sincere. The problem with this being a dream job is that SOME not ALL coaches ***cough Dooley--tend to think that the job has to work for them and they don't have to work at the job. Dooley was lazy and didn't have a handle on this place and that was obvious. We can all say Butch "gets it"---yeah he kind of does but if there any kind of determination we can make 4 months before the season is that CBJ is putting in the work and doing the glad handing that needs to be done around here to make success possible. It's not a certainty but when you see offers go out for 2015 and 2016 kids you can tell this guy is serious about getting it back on track. This season is going to be interesting because you are dealing with Dooley players and some Butch players...we obviously don't have the talent so we are going to have to out scheme and do the little things to win. We don't have a very small window for error in any game.

Ever heard any coach describe the job they just got as anything other than "dream job"?

I totally think Butch was sincere. The problem with this being a dream job is that SOME not ALL coaches ***cough Dooley--tend to think that the job has to work for them and they don't have to work at the job. Dooley was lazy and didn't have a handle on this place and that was obvious. We can all say Butch "gets it"---yeah he kind of does but if there any kind of determination we can make 4 months before the season is that CBJ is putting in the work and doing the glad handing that needs to be done around here to make success possible. It's not a certainty but when you see offers go out for 2015 and 2016 kids you can tell this guy is serious about getting it back on track. This season is going to be interesting because you are dealing with Dooley players and some Butch players...we obviously don't have the talent so we are going to have to out scheme and do the little things to win. We don't have a very small window for error in any game.
We sure don't. I think he's going to have our players closer to their potential than they've ever been though.

No, it isn't debatable.

I'm having a really hard time believing you're a Tennessee fan. What's your deal?

There's no deal. Tell me, what makes UT traditions the best? They're all unique and special to each respective team...except Vandy and UK.

We, as UT fans, think UT's are the best...but that's not being objective. Bama, Auburn, UGA, & LSU can make the same claim, and according to their fans they would be correct.

a dream job has to have two qualities.

1. can i win? is it realistically a place i can succeed?

2. if i succeed, will i get paid?

tennessee meets both requirements

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 people
There's no deal. Tell me, what makes UT traditions the best? They're all unique and special to each respective team...except Vandy and UK.

We, as UT fans, think UT's are the best...but that's not being objective. Bama, Auburn, UGA, & LSU can make the same claim, and according to their fans they would be correct.

Yeah, see, that makes no sense to me. We just don't think alike.

But Go Vols!!

Reactions: 2 people

I do think he was/is sincere when he says this is his dream job. I don't think, however, that Tennessee in particular was his dream job. I think that Tennessee fits the bill of a "dream job" for a football coach. Other schools would also fit the bill.

Having said that, once he landed this particular job, he embraced it fully and now Tennessee is his dream job.

I think that- in this regard- there is a real similarity between CBJ and CBP.

Butch doesn't just "kind of get it". He get's it. He absolutely knows what UT is all about. He absolutely knows what his goals are. He won't half ass anything. He never has. Butch get's it. He is where he want's to be and he knows where he can take his team(s). If any of you good folks have had the pleasure of spending some time with Butch, you will without a doubt know that he not only get's it, he knows how to do it.

No, it isn't debatable.

I'm having a really hard time believing you're a Tennessee fan. What's your deal?

I think what you're having a hard time with is that things like this are not measurable or facts. They are objective opinion. Calling someone not a true fan because they understand this more shows your lack of knowledge than anything.

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee represents Butch Jones's best chance to win a National Championship. That's why it's his dream job.

I imagine that any other SEC team with similar facilities, fanbase, and tradition (i.e., recruiting selling points) would also have been his dream job had he been hired there.

Reactions: 1 person

I agree with this.

Traditions arent really measurable so it all objective.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, see, that makes no sense to me. We just don't think alike.

But Go Vols!!

That's ok. We don't have to think alike.

If you were discussing traditions with a Bama fan, would he/she concede UT's are better? I don't think so, and they could make a valid argument. That's all.

I never said UT's traditions were inferior to any teams, I just said the UT having the best traditions and fans are debatable.

Tennessee is great Job, one of the top 15 in the USA for sure imho, however a DREAM JOB would seem to need to have more than a top 15 rating.....perhaps a real connection, (ie family, friends, a history with the program ie)

Do I think CBJ is truly excited about being here, and do I believe he loves this job...YES I DO, but this will be HIS DREAM Job only until another that he considers better comes along

VN Store

Back