"Dream job"

I think Butch has done a lot of good things. I just think the words were pretty cookie cutter.

Pretty much.

If he wins big and UT compensates him accordingly, I don't really mind if he thought this was his dream job or not.

There's no deal. Tell me, what makes UT traditions the best? They're all unique and special to each respective team...except Vandy and UK.

We, as UT fans, think UT's are the best...but that's not being objective. Bama, Auburn, UGA, & LSU can make the same claim, and according to their fans they would be correct.

But if you are a true VOL fan you throw out objectivity and you agree with op and quit being a ass.

Reactions: 1 person
It is a dream job for Butch just in pay, press, and prestige alone. The rest is just icing for him or us. I believe he's going to dedicate 100% of himself like any well payed and qualified professional that loves to win and prosper would.
What sets some of those professionals apart is whether they adopt their new culture, or try to assert theirs to it, similar to Kiffen posting USC posters at UT. Assimilating isn't always necessary to be successful but helps. From my viewpoint like CBP coach CBJ naturally likes to engrain himself into his surroundings which is what comes off as him "getting it."

I look at maybe with a different prospective since I am a Yankee from Indiana, from a distance I have always loved Tennessee Football. From the Checker Boards to Rocky Top the Power T and the color Orange is what we heard Keith Jackson bellow from his announcers booth. You see back in the day up north UT was always on our TV schedule, I always made sure I took in everything about the game day experience, because that's what you do when you live in the "boring Big Ten" area, and will never be a UOS fan, you COVET. From 100,000 game day fans to "That's how you play Football" was always a "workman" type feel. Now I live in God’s country and am a season Ticket holder for the past 5 years I have lived here I bleed the color orange and support our players and coaches!

Now to my point, If you look back at the history of our coaches from General Neyland to even Coach Fulmer they all knew there was no short cutting when it comes to coaching and playing the game, they were engaged in the process.

But looking at CLK coming from a historic family tree has gotten a free pass though out his career accepting jobs that he had not earned, and then CDD following in his footsteps of his father really had a easy path thru his process to arrive at UT.

Now the subject of this post we have our current coach who have worked his way thru the ranks of several coaching ranks earning each step of the way back to a “workman” type of guy who knows there is no short cutting the process with a plan that he has written throughout his process of working for a living, I see the love he has in his eyes for the fans who support the UT brand and feel it from my gut that he will work to produce the best product on the field to the best of his ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I cringe whenever I here it because all I can here is Kiffin saying it. But I remember when he played us here at Neyland not only was it our best game under Dooley, I took note of the then-coach of the other team's desire to win and expressions and thought 'damned if he doesn't want to own this place.'

It was a bit odd because I never take note of non-Sec non-big game coaches but I did him. So maybe it is his dream job to be here at UT. It's the SEC and we're centrally located as far as traveling to the Midwest, East coast and South is concerned. We're a gorgeous area as well.

And I know from my own experience with encountering imported Michiganders and mid-westerners, they looooove it down here.

There is a reason CBJ turned down two jobs prior to UT. (Purdue and Colorado)
He played a game here. He saw the pageantry, history, fans and facility. Nuff said. He went back to Cinci and drempt about working here.

I think it was pretty clear that he loves it here from the little bit we caught of his conversation with eric berry during the orange and white game. When i heard that I knew he was all in for tennessee.

dreamsharing.jpg

In the video of CBJ's first day, introductory press conference, etc, you can hear CBJ telling Condredge Holloway when first meeting him, "i grew up watching you play". Factor that in with his recruiting east Tennessee for West Virginia, I can see where he would look at Tennessee as his destination job.

You do realize Butch Jones was 4-6 years old when Holloway was the QB for UT? Most likely he was referring to his CFL days.

VN Store

Back