"Dream job"

We're getting somewhere now. Thanks for talking to me.

I am proud of all these things. I'm proud of UT. I'm proud our traditions and our heritage. I am proud to be a Vol fan.

So while others may think they measure up to UT, I don't think they do. I gather from your posts that you do? I think this is where we have a different opinion.

I think each fan base is going to say their's is the best...thus making it debatable.

I think there are things that UT does that are unrivaled as far as places I've been. The band's entrance into the stadium is VERY cool as is UT's pre-game. It is by far the best I've seen...although I like the one from the late 80s-90's better.

He said it was his "dream job" the day he arrived on campus.

Just what does "dream job" mean if it does not mean that he desired this job more than any other one before he was hired?

You definitely live up to your reputation. Good job sir.

I talked to a Cincinnati player that Butch coached and he said that Butch turned the Colorado job down and said Butch told them thinly way he would ever leave Cincinnati was if he was offered the head coaching position at Tennessee or Michigan because those were his two "DREAM" jobs. Well so days later at 2am the players were called for a team meeting and CBJ said that his dream job had presented itself in the form of the head coach at The university of Tennessee and that he was going to take it! The pLyer also said that when Butch said it was his dream job, you could tell that he meant every single word!

Reactions: 1 person
I talked to a Cincinnati player that Butch coached and he said that Butch turned the Colorado job down and said Butch told them thinly way he would ever leave Cincinnati was if he was offered the head coaching position at Tennessee or Michigan because those were his two "DREAM" jobs. Well so days later at 2am the players were called for a team meeting and CBJ said that his dream job had presented itself in the form of the head coach at The university of Tennessee and that he was going to take it! The pLyer also said that when Butch said it was his dream job, you could tell that he meant every single word!

There's an article out there that talked about what butch thought about UT in 2011.

wasn't he set to take the job at colorado before he got a call from tennessee in the nick of time?

I thought he declined the Colorado job before he ever knew the TN job was an option?

He declined the Colorado job when Tennessee opened up.

yeah, but based on the post i responded to, jones was only going to leave cincinnati to take a job with michigan or tennessee.

my recollection is that he was going to leave for colorado until tennessee called.

the point being is that michigan and tennessee were not the only two places butch was willing to leave cincinnati for unless i am mistaken and he turned down colorado before learning of tennessee's position opening up.

I think he is fairly sincere in what he said. The SEC is at the top the mountain as far as football goes. He gets to coach at one of the top tier schools in the SEC. He's not having to coach at one of the Miss schools, Vandy, or UK. He gets to jump in at the top.

Best traditions and fans are debatable, but none-the-less he's here and I think he's glad to be here.

Plus, UT probably triples his salary from UC.

No, it's not really debatable. :)

yeah, but based on the post i responded to, jones was only going to leave cincinnati to take a job with michigan or tennessee.

my recollection is that he was going to leave for colorado until tennessee called.

the point being is that michigan and tennessee were not the only two places butch was willing to leave cincinnati for unless i am mistaken and he turned down colorado before learning of tennessee's position opening up.

Find something that said he was interest in leaving for Colorado. I'd be interested in seeing it. Cause my recollection is that he turned down that job before he ever knew Tennessee was going to be a possibility.

Find something that said he was interest in leaving for Colorado. I'd be interested in seeing it. Cause my recollection is that he turned down that job before he ever knew Tennessee was going to be a possibility.

He turned down Colorado on December 5th or 6th and took the Tennessee job on December 8th. I've got a theory as to what happened.

I thought that the story was that UT contacted him and let him know they were interested. Then when Charlie Strong turned us down he became the number 1 target. So he knew about the possibility of coming here while he was interviewing elsewhere. Thus he didnt immediately jump at another job.

There is probably only a handful of people that really know all the details.

I heard him speak at the Big Orange Caravan tonight and he certainly comes across as sincere. I really wasnt enamored of the hire initially either but I am very glad he is our coach now.

It is ironic that we would want an incoming coach to say that this was his dream job. But then when he does we become suspicious. I dont worry about him bolting for another job. He has to win here first. Remember how some people were worried Dooley would bolt for Georgia if the opportunity ever came up? Seems pretty funny now.

Reactions: 2 people
Vollygirl, methinks your chronology is correct. Colorado courted Butch, as opposed to Butch actively seeking that position. In fact, Peyton said that John Elway specifically asked him to call Butch and put in a good word in terms of Colorado being a good place to live, etc. Peyton did so because, in his words, "when your boss asks you to make a call, you make a call." Peyton then used the opportunity to clarify a misconception and stated that "I recruit for only one university, the University of Tennessee."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

whether he did or didn't has nothing to do with whether or not he plans to stay at tennessee a long time should tennessee want him to stay a long time.

my guess is that jones is a college guy and if he is successful tennessee will pay him accordingly and he will be more than happy to stay.

I'm not sure. He is from Michigan, so you'd assume that Michigan would be his dream job, but I'm from South Florida, and I hate UM and UF. We will just have to wait and see. To be honest, I don't think there would be very many jobs that people would leave UT for. Once Tennessee starts to produce better instate talent, especially in East Tennessee, I can't see of any job that would be an upgrade.

I think there is "dream jobs" and there is the "dream job." Being the head football coach of a major, big time program is a dream for anyone who wants to be a head coach. So I do not think he is lying when he says this his dream job. Example: I would love to be the director of a major motion picture but if I'm hired as a writer for a major motion picture it would also be a dream come true. I wouldn't be lying to say being a script writer would be pretty awesome.

Facts are stubborn things. Let's settle the "Dream Job" question once and for all.

Butch Jones turned down the Colorado job before he knew whether or not he'd be able to secure an offer to coach at Tennessee. In other words, he decided a job at Cincinnati with even a shot at a UT offer was better than 15+ million dollars from Colorado.

Folks, that's a man who means it when he says "Dream Job."

Also, he'd already told Purdue to stop calling.

Here is the timeline:

On Wednesday, 12/5/2012, in the afternoon Charlie Strong comes to a decision.

Charlie Strong turns down Tennessee offer, will stay at Louisville - Pete Thamel - SI.com

Soon after, Butch Jones, lets Colorado know that 15 million is what he is willing to pay just to get the next interview at Tennessee. The Colorado AD asks one his flacks at the Denver Post to try and kneecap Butch. Mark Kiszla published this hit piece at 9:13 PM.

Mark Kiszla: Butch Jones in a gotta-get-mine, college football cash grab - The Denver Post

On Thursday, 12/6/2012, Dave Hart interviews Butch "somewhere in Kentucky". I imagine a riverboat on the Ohio River, but you make the movie however you want.

Butch Jones' name has surfaced as a possible candidate for Tennessee's head coaching job. | wbir.com

Did Butch "mull it over" when Dave Hart decided, after a long interview, that he'd found his guy? No! He woke the Cincinnati AD up at 5 AM on 12/7 to break the bad/good news. Met his players 2 hours later . . .

Tennessee Volunteers hire Butch Jones as new coach - ESPN

and hustled down to Knoxville to start work . . .

Butch Jones arrives in Knoxville : Knoxville Photo Galleries : Knoxville News Sentinel: Local Knoxville, Tennessee News Delivered Throughout the Day.

In summation, he turned down 2 BCS jobs which would have given him significant pay raises to wait for a chance to coach at the University of Tennessee. Dave Hart had no obligation to offer him the job, but once offered he was on the job in Knoxville in under 12 hours.

This is undoubtedly Coach Jones' "Dream Job". The defense rests its case.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
What do y'all think about Jones saying this is his dream job?

Before he was hired, I had the attitude that the Tennessee head coaching job should be anybody's dream job.

And then, when we hired somebody who actually said it was, I thought "yeah, right, just saying what we want to hear".

As time has gone by though, I'm thinking why wouldn't it be his dream job? The SEC, the greatest traditions in the SEC, the best fan base in the SEC. Why wouldn't it be his dream job?

I wanna believe he was sincere. Whatcha think?

When he said it I thought he was FOS. Maybe he still is :dunno:

Exactly.

Here's a challenge for you believers: Go back one month before Jones was hired and find anything in his history which convinces a jury to reasonably conclude he wanted to be at Tennessee any more than he wanted to be at any other top ten program.

First person to find any conclusive evidence of this wins.

So what's your point? You could say that about ANY coach prior to them taking a job at a new school! A coach is not going to go on record as saying "hey I like it here but <--insert school--> is my dream job so if they come calling, see ya!!" NOBODY is going to have public knowledge of such things unless you are someone who is close to that coach like a family member or maybe even the AD.

I really don't understand the point of criticizing or even questioning CBJ's motives for saying that Tennessee is his dream job in the first place. Who cares when and in what context he said it! DAMN sometimes Tennessee fans have such an inferiority complex! Personally I think Butch's remarks DO have some validity simply because he had been here before and knew what it was like to coach inside Neyland.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. He is from Michigan, so you'd assume that Michigan would be his dream job, but I'm from South Florida, and I hate UM and UF. We will just have to wait and see. To be honest, I don't think there would be very many jobs that people would leave UT for. Once Tennessee starts to produce better instate talent, especially in East Tennessee, I can't see of any job that would be an upgrade.

Yes, but he has no ties whatsoever to the University of Michigan or Michigan State. He is an alumnus of Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Michigan, so I believe that there is precious little chance of a Kiffinesque exodus.

VN Store

Back