"Dream job"

I do think he was/is sincere when he says this is his dream job. I don't think, however, that Tennessee in particular was his dream job. I think that Tennessee fits the bill of a "dream job" for a football coach. Other schools would also fit the bill.

Having said that, once he landed this particular job, he embraced it fully and now Tennessee is his dream job.

I think that- in this regard- there is a real similarity between CBJ and CBP.

That's probably the most accurate way to look at it. Not the way I want to, but the most likely scenario. :)

I talked to him after practice for a while and I can tell you I without a doubt believe what he is telling us. I was not happy with the hire but after meeting him I am in. It is no surprise to me at the way he is selling TN to recruits. Some people you just know are for real when you shake their hand and look in their eyes and I now believe he is exactly what we see.

Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee represents Butch Jones's best chance to win a National Championship. That's why it's his dream job.

I imagine that any other SEC team with similar facilities, fanbase, and tradition (i.e., recruiting selling points) would also have been his dream job had he been hired there.

I agree. UT, Bama, UGA, UF, LSU, & Auburn are all pretty interchangeable as far as expectations. You land any of those gigs, you had better produce.

I do think he was/is sincere when he says this is his dream job. I don't think, however, that Tennessee in particular was his dream job. I think that Tennessee fits the bill of a "dream job" for a football coach. Other schools would also fit the bill.

Having said that, once he landed this particular job, he embraced it fully and now Tennessee is his dream job.

I think that- in this regard- there is a real similarity between CBJ and CBP.

Good post! I concur

I think what you're having a hard time with is that things like this are not measurable or facts. They are objective opinion. Calling someone not a true fan because they understand this more shows your lack of knowledge than anything.

"lack of knowledge"?

I never said he wasn't a "true fan". He's just clearly a different type of fan than I am. I acknowledged that.

I talked to him after practice for a while and I can tell you I without a doubt believe what he is telling us. I was not happy with the hire but after meeting him I am in. It is no surprise to me at the way he is selling TN to recruits. Some people you just know are for real when you shake their hand and look in their eyes and I now believe he is exactly what we see.

I have heard several former players say the same... I hope CBJ stays here a long time and is extremely successful.

I aslo believe the term DREAM JOB to us fans means he will not be looking to move to what he considers a better position, I am not sold yet we are that to him

By the way, good to see you again Rocky top

No, it isn't debatable.

I'm having a really hard time believing you're a Tennessee fan. What's your deal?

Boco is the type that looks at the glass half empty and has an opinion on everything.

Much like 99% of VN and me on a bad day.

Oh and Vollygirl have I told you that you type beautiful today.

Last edited:
What do y'all think about Jones saying this is his dream job?

Before he was hired, I had the attitude that the Tennessee head coaching job should be anybody's dream job.

And then, when we hired somebody who actually said it was, I thought "yeah, right, just saying what we want to hear".

As time has gone by though, I'm thinking why wouldn't it be his dream job? The SEC, the greatest traditions in the SEC, the best fan base in the SEC. Why wouldn't it be his dream job?

I wanna believe he was sincere. Whatcha think?

I could hardly believe my ears when I heard he had said that. That was about one day after I watched his introduction. I honestly thought the only people in the world who saw Tennessee as their "dream job" would have to be a former Vol.

Actions speak louder than words, and the actions of Butch Jones have shown me his words are not empty ones. And though he is yet to coach his first game, I believe next season will be special. Win or lose, we will have more reason to be proud than many of us would have thought 4 years ago.

No, it isn't debatable.

I'm having a really hard time believing you're a Tennessee fan. What's your deal?

"lack of knowledge"?

I never said he wasn't a "true fan". He's just clearly a different type of fan than I am. I acknowledged that.

Yeah, you sort of did, but that's ok. I have thick skin.

Anyway, I tend to look at things objectively. Going back to your, "No, it isn't debatable" comment. Do you believe if you went to an SEC board and made that comment, that the other 13 schools would agree with you?

I have heard several former players say the same... I hope CBJ stays here a long time and is extremely successful.

I aslo believe the term DREAM JOB to us fans means he will not be looking to move to what he considers a better position, I am not sold yet we are that to him

By the way, good to see you again Rocky top

Good to see you Coasty. I hope all is well.

Bottom line is we all know including Butch, he has to win. I am a tough critic but there is something about him that really hit me after spending an entire morning with him and seeing how he operates. Great motivator made me want to put the pads back on and give my broken down body for just one more play... Time will tell my friend. I just hope people understand it will take a couple of years to get rolling. I just have to see us in the right direction, no quit, no excuses.

Reactions: 1 person
This will only be his dream job if he wins. If not, it will be someone else's dream job. It is definitely my dream job...

Ever heard any coach describe the job they just got as anything other than "dream job"?

Exactly.

Here's a challenge for you believers: Go back one month before Jones was hired and find anything in his history which convinces a jury to reasonably conclude he wanted to be at Tennessee any more than he wanted to be at any other top ten program.

First person to find any conclusive evidence of this wins.

Boco is the type that looks at the glass half empty and has an opinion on everything.

Much like 99% of VN and me on a bad day.

Oh and Vollygirl have I told you that you type beautiful today.

I don't look at things as half empty, I look at them for what they are. I don't wear orange colored glasses and I'm not hypocritical. I'm not going to make fun of Vandy for cancelling an OOC game (or 2) when UT just did the same thing with UNC.

I'm not going to make fun of UGA and Mark Richt for underachieving when Richt has an 8-4 record against UT and have won a couple of SEC titles since UT last won 1.

I'm not going to make fun of UF when they've beaten UT 19 out the last 25 times UT has played them.

When UT starts beating these teams again, I'll be happy to jump in...if I'm not too old (<--- DAMN, a glass half empty comment!)

Yeah, you sort of did, but that's ok. I have thick skin.

Anyway, I tend to look at things objectively. Going back to your, "No, it isn't debatable" comment. Do you believe if you went to an SEC board and made that comment, that the other 13 schools would agree with you?

You don't need a thick skin. We are just different. Objectivity isn't really relevant here, imo. I'm not talking things that are absolutes. I'm talking about the "intangibles" (that word doesn't really fit but maybe you'll get what I'm saying). Like the color orange, and General Neyland, and Rocky Top, and Smokey. Things that are the heart and history of Tennessee Football.

Why would I expect a fan of another team to think Tennessee is better than them? That makes no sense. They aren't Vols fans. Do you think another team is better than us?

Exactly.

Here's a challenge for you believers: Go back one month before Jones was hired and find anything in his history which convinces a jury to reasonably conclude he wanted to be at Tennessee any more than he wanted to be at any other top ten program.

First person to find any conclusive evidence of this wins.

Here's a challenge for you - Go back and read Volly's first post. Does she say anything that suggests Butch mentioned UT as his dream job prior to being hired? No.

You don't need a thick skin. We are just different. Objectivity isn't really relevant here, imo. I'm not talking things that are absolutes. I'm talking about the "intangibles" (that word doesn't really fit but maybe you'll get what I'm saying). Like the color orange, and General Neyland, and Rocky Top, and Smokey. Things that are the heart and history of Tennessee Football.

Why would I expect a fan of another team to think Tennessee is better than them? That makes no sense. They aren't Vols fans. Do you think another team is better than us?

I agree with you said in this post, however in your OP you said that UT had the best traditions and fans. I said that's debatable. You said it wasn't debatable. They are, but that's fine.

I also agree that the color of UT is very distinguished. People love it or hate, and that's what you want. Same with Rocky Top. Smokey...you can't hate a puppy dog. General Neyland...people outside of UT may not know a whole lot about him but if took a few minutes to see what a person and coach he was you would be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't impressed.

I agree with you said in this post, however in your OP you said that UT had the best traditions and fans. I said that's debatable. You said it wasn't debatable. They are, but that's fine.

I also agree that the color of UT is very distinguished. People love it or hate, and that's what you want. Same with Rocky Top. Smokey...you can't hate a puppy dog. General Neyland...people outside of UT may not know a whole lot about him but if took a few minutes to see what a person and coach he was you would be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't impressed.

We're getting somewhere now. Thanks for talking to me.

I am proud of all these things. I'm proud of UT. I'm proud our traditions and our heritage. I am proud to be a Vol fan.

So while others may think they measure up to UT, I don't think they do. I gather from your posts that you do? I think this is where we have a different opinion.

Here's a challenge for you - Go back and read Volly's first post. Does she say anything that suggests Butch mentioned UT as his dream job prior to being hired? No.

He said it was his "dream job" the day he arrived on campus.

Just what does "dream job" mean if it does not mean that he desired this job more than any other one before he was hired?

VN Store

Back