Email from Jimmy Cheek

You can't base much off of just one thing, but if it makes any difference, she was present for the UT Football Faculty Appreciation Day. I was there, and she seemed very involved and supportive of the day's happenings. Doesn't mean much, but I think a lot of our animosity towards her as sports fans is just trumped up.

Reactions: 2 people
I just received an email from Jimmy Cheek begging for money. I responded letting him know that I would not be contributing until Susan Martin was not allowed to make our great university second rate in sports. I challenge all VFLs to respond the same. GBO!

GOOD FOR YOU.:dance2::dance2: It's about time these asshats get hit where it hurts. These people are academicians and don't have a clue how the real world works. They don't have a clue that the top line (revenue) has a leveraged effect on the bottom line and that a winning football program is key to money flowing to academics.

Doug Matthews, who is pretty tied in, has voiced the same concerns.

Yep. It has to do with admissions and a more stringent curricula for our athletes that put us at a distinct disadvantage compared to other SEC schools, including Pansybilt. While we have made it harder to get our athletes admitted, Vaginabilt has actually relaxed their admissions standards.

These standards have been put in place by the Academic side of the university. What was once a symbiotic relationship has become adversarial over the last 10-12 years and it has shown with our performance on the field.

Reactions: 1 person
Yep. It has to do with admissions and a more stringent curricula for our athletes that put us at a distinct disadvantage compared to other SEC schools, including Pansybilt. While we have made it harder to get our athletes admitted, Vaginabilt has actually relaxed their admissions standards.

These standards have been put in place by the Academic side of the university. What was once a symbiotic relationship has become adversarial over the last 10-12 years and it has shown with our performance on the field.

Thank you for posting the same thing I was about to respond with about Coach Matthews.

I blame 90% of our AD problems (both from a win/loss & financial prospective) on Mike Hamilton. I'm not a Cheek fan & have never heard anything positive said about whoever this woman is, but Hamilton didnt have a clue when it came to hiring & had even less of a clue when it came to contracts! Who would give an unproven coach at a baby school with a losing record a $5,000,000 buyout if he fails??? Tell him this is his big chance...come to UT for $2M a year, if it works out great... If not, you'll get some nice parting gifts or stay at La Tech for 1/4 the salary & always wonder if you would've made the big time. Hamilton destroyed our AD & gave himself a $1M buyout! How does that happen???

Interesting. Who failed to get in? Did they get in elsewhere?

For those commenting without knowledge, simply look up Susan Martin's bio. Cal Berkeley. That is all I should have to say. She has been employed at a land grant, wannabe top research university in Tennessee. Talk about conflicting missions and leadership. Ridiculous. How that happened will require answers from the BOT at the time. As far as I am concerned they could fire DiPietro, Cheek, Martin, and Hart today and everything would immediately get better without hiring anybody to replace them. It is the most dysfunctional administration that has ever existed at UT. Which makes it even more remarkable that Butch Jones would be willing to come to UT and explains why many others declined over the last half dozen years.

UTAD is stand alone financially. Many other universities depend on funding from the state and school to keep their AD's afloat. Until UTAD is separated, which will not happen anytime soon, there will be tension between the two camps unless the UTAD gives the academic side their demanded, extorted funds.

For those commenting without knowledge, simply look up Susan Martin's bio. Cal Berkeley. That is all I should have to say. She has been employed at a land grant, wannabe top research university in Tennessee. Talk about conflicting missions and leadership. Ridiculous. How that happened will require answers from the BOT at the time. As far as I am concerned they could fire DiPietro, Cheek, Martin, and Hart today and everything would immediately get better without hiring anybody to replace them. It is the most dysfunctional administration that has ever existed at UT. Which makes it even more remarkable that Butch Jones would be willing to come to UT and explains why many others declined over the last half dozen years.

UTAD is stand alone financially. Many other universities depend on funding from the state and school to keep their AD's afloat. Until UTAD is separated, which will not happen anytime soon, there will be tension between the two camps unless the UTAD gives the academic side their demanded, extorted funds.

I'm just curious where all of the government grant money funded through ORNL goes? If I'm not mistaken that is where Cheek was leaning on to build UT into a top 25 research university. See that's the problem when you have incompetent people in places they have no business being in. Incompetent or a criminal, one of the 2.

Seems to me extort is the correct choice of words when Cheek puts his chimpmunk like hands all over the athletic departments money. Money generated from athletic events. There needs to be autonomy, and anyone fighting this should be told to get to stepping immediately.

I wouldnt be so sure. Hart really pissed off the academic side when he went around booger eating Cheeks and went straight to the BOT. They dont like that or the fact they where forced to give back the money they have been taking from Football to fund their own personal agenda.

Remember not long ago that bulletin that was released saying the academic side would never again help the athletic department ? That was a direct sour grapes response because of Hart.

Make no mistake about it the Academic department at UT is very butt hurt over hart and the BOT, this wont be resolved until Cheeks is fired.

Then what do we need to do to get his and Martins ass run out of kville.Sign me up

She's the Provost and there are suspicions that she's out to embarrass the athletic side. I think a lot of it, though, is just scapegoating by Tony Basilio listeners.

Most uniformed post of the year thinking this is some fishing expedition by Basilio. lol

Call in to Coach Doug Matthews show and ask him/call him a liar. These are his words/thoughts on the situation virtually verbatim.... not mine.

So you don't know of anyone? If this was such a systemic problem, shouldn't someone have at least a few names?

How many years did Matthews coach over there while Martin was provost? None?

But, I'm sure he's not just making excuses for his buddy Fulmer or trying to drum up something for his radio show. I'm sure a vice provost prevented them from doing their jobs. That sounds reasonable.

So you don't know of anyone? If this was such a systemic problem, shouldn't someone have at least a few names?

How many years did Matthews coach over there while Martin was provost? None?

But, I'm sure he's not just making excuses for his buddy Fulmer or trying to drum up something for his radio show. I'm sure a vice provost prevented them from doing their jobs. That sounds reasonable.

I've heard Hubbs, Rucker, Ainge and others, along with Coach Matthews discuss this multiple times over the last 6-8 months. It was also mentioned more than once during the Coaching search as a potential sticking point for that needed to be addressed. It was also brought up iirc during Dave Hart's first press conference after firing Dooley. Do with it what you will.

I've heard Hubbs, Rucker, Ainge and others, along with Coach Matthews discuss this multiple times over the last 6-8 months. It was also mentioned more than once during the Coaching search as a potential sticking point for that needed to be addressed. It was also brought up iirc during Dave Hart's first press conference after firing Dooley. Do with it what you will.

Dave Hart actually said that Susan Martin was a problem for him? Really? You know I remember listening to that press conference, but I don't recall ever hearing that. Please show me where he said that.

But hey, if some guys on the radio say it enough, I guess that it must be true. Who needs any actual facts or evidence.

You can't tell some people anything. Once they believe what they want to believe, you could have real time video footage backing a comment, opinion,etc. and they would still try and argue something random and irrelevant to hold on to their belief about a topic.

Dave Hart actually said that Susan Martin was a problem for him? Really? You know I remember listening to that press conference, but I don't recall ever hearing that. Please show me where he said that.

But hey, if some guys on the radio say it enough, I guess that it must be true. Who needs any actual facts or evidence.

We have some of the most conservative radio personalities when it comes to covering UT football. Take Hubbs for instance, he is never going to put his reputation on the line unless he has a high degree of confidence the story is legit.

Truth is, she could be actively blowing up Neyland Stadium, and you would still need more facts and evidence before you thought it was ok for someone to try and stop her. I think some people would allow the most catastrophic outcome to occur in a scenario and still need more evidence before a decision is made.

VN Store

Back