ESPN is imploding

And that Jemele woman is still around.

Like @Vol-e-ball said, ESPN has decided to be a political channel and is still sticking to it. We'll see how long they last without major change.
Jemelle Hill hasn’t been at ESPN in a long time. She works for The Atlantic, which really isn’t surprising.

The ESPN business model is badly broken and they completely lost their way under the Disney thought leadership in trying to shape and create fan followings where none existed or they simply alienated large blocks of audiences through their subjective personal opinions and preferences rather than sticking to the objective overview and broadcasting live sporting events that their audience wanted to watch.

ESPN needs the SEC Network much, much more than the SEC Network needs their infrastructure and cameras and Sankey should take an "SEC first" position with these clowns and drive down any streaming fees or additional costs to watch any SEC event broadcasts.

The ESPN costs for broadcast rights for live events has continued to climb, while the cable revenue model for ESPN has deteriorated as households jettison their traditional 350 channel $250 a month cable package for pure streaming and significantly lower monthly fees for the digital access, costing ESPN hundreds of millions of dollars in monthly fees.

Hate that a lot of the high dollar on air commentary and on air talent got tossed this week, would like to see Herbstreet on the street as well, but ESPN purists fondly remember the early days of ESPN, their spartan and bare studios, their commitment to sports news, results, interview and wonderful highlights, without the polarizing and political opinions and commentary and their pandering to non sports related social issues for no apparent reason.

The ESPN network is third rate pedestrian trash without the SEC, we need to remind them of that every Saturday this Fall.

That really shows how much I pay attention to them.
I used to watch Around the Horn and PTI all the time, but I can’t tell you the last time I watched either one. The only programming they can do that’s unique to them are the hot take shows, and those aren’t even the most popular in its genre. Sportscenter is basically irrelevant bc I can go on twitter and find any highlight I want in seconds. ESPN’s move to politics tried to offset their irrelevance and created even less viewers when they allowed people like Jemelle Hill and LeBatard to express their POV.

Are the SEC Network/ACC Network/College Football the only thing espn knows how to do proficiently these days?

If they were smart, the would close their Bristol Conn facility and move everything down to Charlotte to collocate with the SEC/ACC Network studios. That would save them some serious Sacajewea's and they would closer real sports teams.

ESPN is owned by Disney. Disney made ESPN political. Choosing sides in politics costs you the viewership of those that disagree with your viewpoints. Lack of viewership costs advertising dollars. Supporting the WNBA, which no one watches, costs you money. Stakeholder capitalism destroys companies. ESPN is not profitable & going bankrupt. Disney is not profitable and going bankrupt. Pixar is now unprofitable. If you make 3m, plus the cost of your co-workers, plus the costs of production, and the overhead of corporate managers, you better bring in a significant viewership by your presence. None of the people fired really did. They will be replaced by people who make a fraction of what those let go did. This is why profitability & staying out of politics is so important. Notice how no one in upper management got fired. I guarantee you many in management are looking to jump ship. They know they are next.
They just gave Pat McAfee an 85 million dollar contract. They'll be fine and they aren't going anywhere.

I don't know what you are talking about since I don't know what "woke" means other than it is the opposite of asleep
It depends on who you ask ...

A liberal would describe being "woke" as simply being aware and actively attentive to prejudice and discrimination.

A conservative would use the term "woke" derisively, and say that it's pandering to special interest groups, who are over-sensitive to traditional values and every day activities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawrence Wright
ESPN is owned by Disney. Disney made ESPN political. Choosing sides in politics costs you the viewership of those that disagree with your viewpoints. Lack of viewership costs advertising dollars. Supporting the WNBA, which no one watches, costs you money. Stakeholder capitalism destroys companies. ESPN is not profitable & going bankrupt. Disney is not profitable and going bankrupt. Pixar is now unprofitable. If you make 3m, plus the cost of your co-workers, plus the costs of production, and the overhead of corporate managers, you better bring in a significant viewership by your presence. None of the people fired really did. They will be replaced by people who make a fraction of what those let go did. This is why profitability & staying out of politics is so important. Notice how no one in upper management got fired. I guarantee you many in management are looking to jump ship. They know they are next.
Do you really think that ESPN won't be kicking a$$ in the ratings on Saturdays in the fall of 2024, when Texas and Oklahoma have started playing in what is already the best conference in college football? Do you understand the massive television market that adding Texas brings to the SEC? It sure doesn't sound like it.

Good lord.

Last edited:
Corso and Vitale are both having some health issues, so they probably are safe until they decide to hang it up and go into that dark night. I honestly can't tell you who the talking heads on ESPN are. I gave it up after Keith Olberman decided to make an offensive comment about my God. I hardly ever watch anything on ESPN, other than the SEC Network.

Van Gundy is the only loss from that list.

I actually like him. Everyone else, toss em and add Perkins lol

I agree with you to the Max.I never turn on ESPN unless they are airing the Vols in a telecast. And I am very aware they are owned by Disney,which is becomming one of the most Woke corperations out there.I am also joining with others to take back the rainbow from these mixed up people!

Do you really think that ESPN won't be kicking a$$ in the ratings on Saturdays in the fall of 2024, when Texas and Oklahoma have started playing in what is already the best conference in college football? Do you understand the massive television market that adding Texas brings to the SEC? It sure doesn't sound like it.

Good lord.
No they won't, because people have been de-cabling from cable TV packages to the tune of 70m subscribers down to 50m. This is a massive loss of revenue. Streaming is incapable of offsetting this loss. The SEC will be profitable for ESPN but it will not be enough to stop the overall hemorrhaging of subscribers and the rising cost of buying sports packages.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
They just gave Pat McAfee an 85 million dollar contract. They'll be fine and they aren't going anywhere.
McAfee, whom I watch, brings a key demographic, which will result in good revenue but it will not stop the losses from competition from online sports shows or the continuing loss of cable income. It is most likely that Disney will sell off ESPN to a Broadcast Network.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Corso and Vitale are both having some health issues, so they probably are safe until they decide to hang it up and go into that dark night. I honestly can't tell you who the talking heads on ESPN are. I gave it up after Keith Olberman decided to make an offensive comment about my God. I hardly ever watch anything on ESPN, other than the SEC Network.
People will always take shots at God. God has largely gone silent since the Old Testament days and that has given power to the atheists and non believers. Read the Old Testament part of the Bible again God conversed and talked with mankind all the time and intervened with events and important battles and then in the New Testament well not so much. Just remember God at anytime and any moment could end all that speculation and doubt about his existence and come down with Jesus in the middle of Times Square and reveal himself to man and show humanity that the one true Christian god and messiah is 100 percent real.

Last edited:
I enjoyed listening to Max Kellerman and Keyshawn in the morning surprised they didn’t let Jay Williams go too.

Man imo that’s the worst morning show they’ve ever done. Max is as woke as they come. And Keyshawn is really just an idiot.

VN Store

Back