ESPN still sees no bowl for TN

Lane Kiffin may be looking for a new job soon. I wouldn't mind seeing him as our OC.

LOL J/K...

Why is this so surprising? We've beaten the likes of Austin Pea and Western Kentucky in the friendly confines of Neyland Stadium. We'll find out everything we need to know about Tennessee in the coming weeks whether or not they're a bowl caliber outfit or not.

Who has Missouri beat that was so impressive? I have them going 5-7. Apparently, ESPN doesn't.

We'll probably be off the bowl list until November. We have a brutal sked. Factor in that we have young, inexperienced skill players, an inconsistent QB and a D that was the worst in the school's history last year, and we're not getting much respect. We're going to have to earn it... and it won't be easy.

Reactions: 1 person
If Worley doesn't improve real fast, our season could end in November again.

He needs to be a 200 yds/game type of QB at the minimum. We've gotta have at least some threat in the passing game.

Agreed. This whole problem with downfield accuracy and not being able to lead receivers is gonna cost us some key drives and points throughout the season. I expect that if it continues he will be replaced. I don't care if it's him, Peterson, Ferg, Dobbs. I just hope it's the most capable QB we have that puts us in the best situation to win/compete, and for the time being, he has to be option number one. May not last long though.

ESPN predicts the bowls for all the SEC teams each week. They still see TN being one of only 3 sec teams to miss a bowl game this season. No love for Butch.

Two weeks in, and it's time to check out where we think SEC teams are heading during the postseason.

VIZIO BCS National Championship Game, Jan. 6: Alabama
Allstate Sugar Bowl, Jan. 2: LSU
Capital One Bowl, Jan. 1: Georgia
AT&T Cotton Bowl, Jan. 3: Texas A&M
Outback Bowl, Jan. 1: South Carolina
Chick-fil-A Bowl, Dec. 31: Florida
TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl, Jan. 1: Ole Miss
Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl, Dec. 30: Auburn
AutoZone Liberty Bowl, Dec. 31: Vanderbilt
BBVA Compass Bowl, Jan. 4: Arkansas
AdvoCare V100 Bowl, Dec. 31: Missouri
SEC football bowl projections: Week 2 - ESPN

And yes this post includes the obligatory "ESPN Hates Us".

Can we prove them wrong?

We need 6 wins to qualify: (1) Austin Peay (2) Western Kentucky (3) South Alabam (4) Kentucky
(5) Missouri ??????? (6) Vandy ?????? (7) Auburn??????

Not likely wins: (1) Oregon (2) Ala bam (3) Florida (4) Georgia (5) South Carolina.

So, we will need to win 2 of the 3 Missouri, Vandy or Auburn games to get to 6 and qualify for a bowl.....

Those games will be close games, so it is impossible to accurately predict if we go to a bowl game or not.

ESPN predicts the bowls for all the SEC teams each week. They still see TN being one of only 3 sec teams to miss a bowl game this season. No love for Butch.

This basically means they expect us to go 2-6 (or worse) in the SEC. We have a very flawed team right now, with a thin secondary and a flawed QB, but I do think we'll win *AT LEAST* three conference games this year.

Everyone keeps saying we have to win 2 out of 3 between Vandy, Mizzou, and Auburn, but I don't see it that way. We have to win 3 out of 8 from our whole slate. We're capable of upsetting Georgia, SC, Florida, and maybe even Bama on a great night. I still think we'll beat one of those four this year. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see us upset Florida or Georgia, and then lose to Auburn or Mizzou.

I don't know where we'll end up at the end of the year, but I still think 5-7 is very pessimistic, and 6-6 or 7-5 is probably more realistic, and 8-4 isn't out of the question. So long as we're 6-6, we're going to a bowl game.

During an ESPN preseason show, they highlighted Kiffin and USC as one of the teams that may dominate their conference (over Oregon and Stanford) in 2014 and potentially win the BCS National Championship game.

Today, analysts are wondering aloud if Lane survives the next few games.

Let UT win one big game and ESPN will be leading the Vols bandwagon.

Last edited:
I think it's perfectly reasonable. I think Tennessee wins Their final 4 games after starting off 3-5. I think Tennessee will beat Missouri,Auburn and Vanderbilt.
I hope we do and beat Vandy bad but many do not think we will. Right now our sec talent is middle or lower.

How is Arkansas going to bowl and Tennessee isn't? What a joke.

watched Arky and Mizzou games yesterday. was not impressed at all. Samford had the lea by 4 in the fourth. and Toledo was only down a TD in the fourth until mizzou pulled away at home. if you think our depth is bad you should see mizzou. its on the same level. let it play out and dont worry about these dumb predictions. we will sneak up on somebody

Arkansas sucks Samford gave Them all they wanted.

Exactly... Missouri and Auburn are almost as questionable. I don't think those 3 teams are any better than us, Auburn maybe slightly but definitely not Mizzou and Arky.

I can't wait until ESPN meets Eric Berry across the middle.

Reactions: 2 people
Why do people keep picking Arkansas? They almost lost to Samford! They're tuuuurble!

VN Store

Back