Ethnic Profiling

Ali? Hussein? Name ONE time that either of those 2 names ever committed a terrorist attack on U.S. soil.

I'll answer for you. ZERO

Out of those thousands of terrorists you refer to, guess how many have attacked the U.S? 19....That's right 19. 15 of them came from Saudi Arabia, the other 4 from Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, and Lebanon. Out of the more than 65 nations that have ties to Al-Queda, are we going to only look for the ones that come from these 4 countries?

Should I be on the lookout for this guy?

His name isn't Ali, or Hussein.

So the attack has to be on US soil? Absurd. Sorry I just threw 2 names out, should have included Mohammed, Ahmed, and ones that have the prefix al, and many more. You keep throwing white guys into your argument. You seem to have a problem understanding statistics and profiling. Of course there are non-muslim examples, but statistically speaking, they are noise since they are so small. Where did I ever say limit it to certain countries? Again, open your eyes. They should create 2 airline industries in this country. 1 for people like you that so badly want to ignore who the terrorists most likely are, muslims. You can fly with that airline and all the muslims. The second industry can be for people like me that want a more secure sense of safety while flying. Wonder which one would do more business?

To some it's statistical noise . . . to others it's what is known as a concrete example.

I'm not against profiling necessarily. I just think more than anything else it's just a concept to make people feel better.

P.S. - Stop telling people they are stupid or don't understand things just because of a difference in opinion.

To some it's statistical noise . . . to others it's what is known as a concrete example.

I'm not against profiling necessarily. I just think more than anything else it's just a concept to make people feel better.

P.S. - Stop telling people they are stupid or don't understand things just because of a difference in opinion.

where did i ever call someone stupid?

I do not have to respect others opinions as you say. Do you go around respecting every opinion presented to you in life. I doubt it.

No, but I am able to have a debate without being condescending. Can you do that? I doubt it.

So the attack has to be on US soil?

I didn't say the attack had to be on U.S. soil.
Absurd. Sorry I just threw 2 names out, should have included Mohammed, Ahmed, and ones that have the prefix al, and many more.

That would be about 1.2 billion people, or 22% of the world's population.

You keep throwing white guys into your argument.

White, Black, Red, Green, etc., etc.

You seem to have a problem understanding statistics and profiling.

No I don't. I never said that muslims didn't make up a larger percent of suicide terrorists. I know that they do.

Of course there are non-muslim examples, but statistically speaking, they are noise since they are so small.

Who's arguing about the statistics? I was just giving you examples of the "noise."

Where did I ever say limit it to certain countries? Again, open your eyes.

They're open, buddy.

Now, back to profiling. How do you suggest we go about it? Only stop and check people with Muslim names? Why not check every single person the same? Do you think the terrorists are dumb enough to get on board with a Muslim name now?

They should create 2 airline industries in this country. 1 for people like you that so badly want to ignore who the terrorists most likely are, muslims.

Who's ignoring who the terrorists are?

You can fly with that airline and all the muslims.

Ok, I'll sit next to Muhammad Ali.

The second industry can be for people like me that want a more secure sense of safety while flying.

OK, you can sit next to Richard Reid.

Wonder which one would do more business?

Probably not the one with Richard Reid on board.

What does a terrorist look like?

Been some posts answering your question but I'll pipe in again because you directed to my post. There is no easy answer. But quite frankly color of skin, manner of dress, name, and citizenship are a few used to profile. The 9/11 terrorists, for the most part, all had names, color of skin, and citizenship that would have then profiled and stopped. In fact a couple were stopped and questioned and let go (Different thread and discussion).

Profiling is a start to finding some, not all, but should not be the only tool used. As you stated, and I agree with, using profiling would miss some of the terrorists. This is where intel and surveillance works. If we choose to profile then there should be guidelines to minimize needless stops and searches based only on names, color of skin, etc.

Again, profiling should be one tool used carefully but not the only tool to seek and find these sick people that want to do only harm which in the end is the goal.

Keep in mind that Jose Padilla is of Puerto Rican descent. Round up those non-tax paying islanders mooching off the system....they're all terrorists!

---tongue in cheek for the less astute

can i say something? One pasty white guy that flies a plane into a skyscraper will cause as much damage as 5 muslims who fly the same plane into the same building. screw ethnic profiling, bad people are bad people.

can i say something? One pasty white guy that flies a plane into a skyscraper will cause as much damage as 5 muslims who fly the same plane into the same building. screw ethnic profiling, bad people are bad people.

All true, except the screw profiling part. If you want to stop such an event, be as scientific about it as you can.

For all of you against profiling. You do realize when your favorite college team signs their new football class in February, everyone of the players they sign has been profiled. When you do hiring or interviewing for a company, you are either doing the profiling or being profiled. If you have ever had a girlfriend or wife, you got involved with this person because they fit the profile you desire. You need to understand profiling is not a dirty word, some people in this culture just want you to think it is.

For all of you against profiling. You do realize when your favorite college team signs their new football class in February, everyone of the players they sign has been profiled. When you do hiring or interviewing for a company, you are either doing the profiling or being profiled. If you have ever had a girlfriend or wife, you got involved with this person because they fit the profile you desire. You need to understand profiling is not a dirty word, some people in this culture just want you to think it is.

I don't think profiling is a dirty word. I just wonder how it can work. It can't be that simple.

I don't think profiling is a dirty word. I just wonder how it can work. It can't be that simple.

I'm in the same boat. I think profiling is OK as long as it's not relied on too heavily to the detriment of other counterterrorism measures. My guess is that if we relied too heavily on profiling that al Qaeda would just recruit different looking terrorists.

the glaring difference being, CPF doesn't look at film and say "oh he's black, he has to be good." no one is saying profiling in it self is bad, the argument is against ETHNIC profiling, that's when it becomes an issue

It is not that easy I am sure. The Israeli's have made as much of a science of it as anyone. But just because it is not easy does not mean it should't be done. It is also not perfect, nothing is, but it is much better than relying on randomness. If AL Qaeda changes who they recruit as GA suggests, then the profiling changes, but there will always be a behavior or set of characteristics that are predominant in a group. Whether it is football players, employees, or terrorists.

VN Store

Back