Evening Scrimmage Notes

VolnJC

1) Neal with a 98 yard run..seems it was more on defense than Neal's ability..Jones not happy with it

2) Far too many drops..he equated drops to turnovers in his offense

3) Likes Wiesman's intelligence and physical play..has earned rotation on line

4) Couch was on crutches with sprained calf..listed as day to day

5) All four QBs managed game well..spoke Fulmer speak "will know more when I watch the film"

6) They are helping Fugate find a school to transfer to

7) QBs learning system well..becoming more consistant..WRs..are "consistantly unconsistant"

8) 2nd team offense had 14 play drive..entirely made up of runs

Video of Coach's reaction
#VolReport: Butch Jones Media Session (8/10/13) - YouTube

Overall reaction from CBJ:
What did you learn from your team in this scrimmage?

“Well, we have a long way to go. We have a lot of work to do. But these individuals, I say it, are resilient and they’re prideful. We challenged them with their performance last night and they came up with a mentality. And that’s difficult because, obviously, I think there’s a negative connotation when you hear two-a-days. They embrace two-a-days. They embraced getting better. They held each other to a higher standard and accountability. And I’ve said it, are we going to be the most talented football team that we [play], day in and day out, week in and week out? No. But does that not make us the best team? We have to be a team that overachieves in every single aspect. I’ve been a part of two championships in the last two years with teams that have been picked fourth and fifth in their football conferences. I’ve seen it done. This has to be a team that we overachieve, we hold ourselves accountable and we get better each and very day. We can’t have the fundamental mistakes — pre-snap penalties, jumping offsides, personal foul penalties. And we have to play great special teams.”

Pic of Neal's run down sideline
BRWXMODCYAAfWwd.jpg:large

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 people
Good info. Yeah, I don't ever see Neal popping off a 98 yard run just off his ability.

I like that he focuses on drops so much. Receivers have got to focus on simply making the catch. YAC means nothing if there's no catching going on.

I'm glad that QBs are showing more consistency. Weird that the second team had a drive like that. Dobbs was QB for second team (not because he's second string) but Peterman and Ferguson had the night off so to speak.

I love that they're helping Fugate. Shows a lot about this staff what they're doing for him and Jabo Lee.

Reactions: 2 people
1) Neal with a 98 yard run..seems it was more on defense than Neal's ability..Jones not happy with it

2) Far too many drops..he equated drops to turnovers in his offense

3) Likes Wiesman's intelligence and physical play..has earned rotation on line

4) Couch was on crutches with sprained calf..listed as day to day

5) All four QBs managed game well..spoke Fulmer speak "will know more when I watch the film"

6) They are helping Fugate find a school to transfer to

7) QBs learning system well..becoming more consistant..WRs..are "consistantly unconsistant"

8) 2nd team offense had 14 play drive..entirely made up of runs

6. good for him. good luck.

7. that's not good

Evaluating scrimmages is a no win situation. If we run the ball well, is it because our O-line lived up to their billing? Or was it because our D couldn't tackle anybody? Hard to gauge......the drops do concern me though.

Reactions: 1 person
Evaluating scrimmages is a no win situation. If we run the ball well, is it because our O-line lived up to their billing? Or was it because our D couldn't tackle anybody? Hard to gauge......the drops do concern me though.

That's always the question. That's why I think it is stupid to try and guage where each side of the ball on our team is doing. Yes I like to discuss...but we just don't know sometimes.

Reactions: 2 people
Good info. Yeah, I don't ever see Neal popping off a 98 yard run just off his ability.

I like that he focuses on drops so much. Receivers have got to focus on simply making the catch. YAC means nothing if there's no catching going on.

I'm glad that QBs are showing more consistency. Weird that the second team had a drive like that. Dobbs was QB for second team (not because he's second string) but Peterman and Ferguson had the night off so to speak.

I love that they're helping Fugate. Shows a lot about this staff what they're doing for him and Jabo Lee.

Neal runs a 4.3... stupid comment is stupid

can't wait for Neal to make all these arm chair QB's around here eat their words.

Reactions: 10 people
Neal could run a 3.4 and it wouldn't matter

coming from a guy who couldn't bust a 10 yard run against my sons 12 yr old football team.

you people amaze me... let's attack and talk krap about our own players.. that just screams VFL and unity.

seriously grow up and get a life :loco:

Reactions: 37 people
coming from a guy who couldn't bust a 10 yard run against my sons 12 yr old football team.

you people amaze me... let's attack and talk krap about our own players.. that just screams VFL and unity.

seriously grow up and get a life :loco:

it will be like this until we start winning again.

Neal could run a 3.4 and it wouldn't matter

Good grief. What is it with you guys? He was on his way to 1000 yds on a PASSING team with Hunter and CP last year before injuring an ankle. And as difficult as that was, it was made even more difficult because Hunter wouldn't run block and CP either couldn't or wouldn't. Guys like you throw stones at Neal for bouncing runs outside and not getting there... while never seeing that CP or Hunter just did a matador on the DB that set the edge and turned the play up.

He's one of the fast guys on the team. By all accounts he works his tail off. It seems that a fan of the team could cut the guy a little slack. He like the rest got a new start with the new staff... why not wait to see what he does with good coaching?

Reactions: 30 people
I will hold off on any argumentative statements regarding RBs and just say kudos to neal. I know id be bragging about a 98 yd run even if it was practice lol

I will hold off on any argumentative statements regarding RBs and just say kudos to neal. I know id be bragging about a 98 yd run even if it was practice lol

I'd be bragging about a 98 yard run against my sons middle school team.

I guess the ol blocked and the DL sucked and Neal just stood there until God miracled his ass 98 yards into the end zone. Smh some of y'all are just retarded. All you ever heard about Neal is he needs to be more decisive and explosive and run through arm tackles. So then we hear (from his own mouth) he read the play, made 1 cut when he saw the lane, and had to out run a safety who had a good angle and he went 98 yards w/o getting caught by anyone on 1st team d. But none of that was due to him or his own ability? Gimme a break.

Reactions: 14 people
So just to be perfectly clear... you just called those guys fair weather fans, right?

I didn't call them anything.i'll just say that patience is not a strong suit for some of the op's.

VN Store

Back