Explosion in Lebanon

Macron promises help, Beirut residents vent fury at leaders

That stockpile of 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate set off the massive blast, apparently when touched off by a fire at the port. The chemical had been left sitting in a warehouse ever since it was confiscated from an impounded cargo ship in 2013.

A military judge leading the investigation into Tuesday's blast said 16 employees of Beirut's port, where the explosion took place, had been detained. He said 18 had been questioned, including port and customs officials, according to the state news agency.

I'm sure a few low level guys will have an example made out of them while the corrupt guys skate.

Does anyone else remember when they were remodeling the Hodges library and someone hung a banner on the top of it that read "Beirut Library"? That city has been a symbol of death and destruction for decades and probably will for the rest of my life. I really don't feel sorry for anything that happens there until they decide they want to fix it.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
I would think so, if the intent was to set off AN it wouldn't take much and I would think it could be delivered from miles away by just about any semi modern air force on a stationary target.
So they, whoever they is, sent in a crew to start welding near fireworks and/or the AN. Then that started fire one, which had a good bit of smoke itself. Then when that didnt cause the AN to blow up fast enough, they had a plane somewhere in the area, at the same time as the fire, that got a missile off and on target before the fire naturally found the AN?

Theres a step or two too many in there for me to buy.

Does anyone else remember when they were remodeling the Hodges library and someone hung a banner on the top of it that read "Beirut Library"? That city has been a symbol of death and destruction for decades and probably will for the rest of my life. I really don't feel sorry for anything that happens there until they decide they want to fix it.
There are innocent people over there who are victims of what is going on without the power to change it.

Reactions: zeppelin128
So they, whoever they is, sent in a crew to start welding near fireworks and/or the AN. Then that started fire one, which had a good bit of smoke itself. Then when that didnt cause the AN to blow up fast enough, they had a plane somewhere in the area, at the same time as the fire, that got a missile off and on target before the fire naturally found the AN?

Theres a step or two too many in there for me to buy.
I'm with you, I don't think there was plane or a missile. I think welders ignited a fire that then spread to the warehouse holding a crap ton of AN.

Hopefully someone can educate us, AN ignites at about 450f and self detonated at 550f so how does the entire pile of sacks self detonate at one time?

Reactions: Pacer92
@zeppelin128
Cowers out. Realizes he doesn't represent a group. Tries and fails to leave a snarky comment.

Hopefully someone can educate us, AN ignites at about 450f and self detonated at 550f so how does the entire pile of sacks self detonate at one time?
I am thinking building/wall failure inside that exposed the AN to the blaze. No idea how it was stored. But if those pictures of bags was real, the AN was right on top of each other.

No idea how AN goes off, but I imagine a large enough section got exposed, goes off, and spreads the needed temp to the rest "all at once" to the human eye.

Reactions: Wireless1
Interesting..

Lebanon president rejects global probe into port blast

He pledged "swift justice", but rejected widespread calls for an international probe, telling a reporter he saw it as an attempt to "dilute the truth".

"There are two possible scenarios for what happened: it was either negligence or foreign interference through a missile or bomb," he said, the first time a top Lebanese official raised the possibility that the port had been attacked.

'It's crystal clear Hezbollah are in charge of the port and warehouse': Leading Lebanese politician blames terrorist group and 'corrupt' government for catastrophic explosion – as aerial images reveal blast even sank a cruise ship

A leading Lebanese opposition figure has blamed Hezbollah, along with the country's 'corrupt' government, for the devastating explosion in Beirut which capsized a cruise ship and has so far claimed 137 lives.

Beirust explosion: Politician blames Hezbollah and government | Daily Mail Online

Hezbollah: "Hello, Hillary? We would like to schedule a suicide for one Bahaa Hariri. Just need to know what the going rate is?"

Reactions: tntar heel

VN Store

Back