Facts about NIL at UT?

News flash. Barnes hasn't made it past the sweet 16 in his years at UT. I do think he's a good coach but I also don't think he will lead us to the promise land.
Except winning league and tournament championships under his direction helps the equity talk. Might need to back that news flash up a bit. Based on Kellie standards that means he’s overachieved.

Last edited:
2021 NIL was not part of recruiting. If you look at 2022 and 2023 where it is, we had one 5 star, Julian Phillips. Pre-NIL world, Barnes landed higher ranked recruits.
Might need to look at those rankings again. Springer and Keon Johnson in 20’ was his greatest haul, outside of that a lot of 3-4 stars. First few years he built it on lesser talent with guys like Admiral and Williams.

Reactions: lfvol
Might need to look at those rankings again. Springer and Keon Johnson in 20’ was his greatest haul, outside of that a lot of 3-4 stars. First few years he built it on lesser talent with guys like Admiral and Williams.
The Preacher likes to recruit players ranked middle of the pack ...

I believe the only 1 and dones he has had are ,Durant, Aldridge while at Texas ...
Keon, Jaden , Kennedy Chandler and Phillips....

Keon should have came back and developed more, Phillips honestly should have went to a school that could've showcased his talents...

I think the class that came in this season were a handful of 4 stars and a 3 star kind of class CRB loves...

One thing I never hear about NIL at UT is brand development. Teaching the students how to develop their brand and helping them implement their brand. This is an important component of name, image, and likeness that is beneficial their entire life. I know of one school that provides this service as an educational tool for all athletes. In fact this summer they are flying athletes from the east coast to LA for a series of seminars in brand development from industry leaders.

Another argument I hear is that only the top players should get NIL. If that is the case then you are actively working to destroy the team dynamic necessary to put a winning product on the floor. All players should receive NIL and have the ability to maximize their income within the construct of the team

Reactions: tbwhhs
Another argument I hear is that only the top players should get NIL. If that is the case then you are actively working to destroy the team dynamic necessary to put a winning product on the floor. All players should receive NIL and have the ability to maximize their income within the construct of the team
Again (and forever) I think we're mixing up true name, image, and likeness with a cash stipend, bonus, etc. just for signing on. Not sure how any player could be denied payback for use of their name, image, or likeness. That doesn't hurt anyone and is a good thing.

If anyone is arguing the guaranteed "salary" some lucky schools can afford, like the 25K the So Carolina players get, should be restricted to high performers, they are asking for locker room dynamite.

Getting a big additional signing bonus and perks is possible and kind of takes care of itself as far as who gets it. Joyce Edwards size cash and inticments only happens for the best players.

Heard an interesting discussion on sports talk radio about the transfer portal/money madness going on in football right now. Not only are teams having to find money for pay for play, but also for pay to stay. TN just had 6 defensive backs hit the portal, and apparently decided not to pay any to stay mostly bc they weren't very good. But they are reportedly in a bidding war to keep a star defensive end.

Another thing they mentioned is older players are hitting the portal bc when they signed out of hs, there was no signing bonus or NIL. So this is their one and only opportunity. Understandable.

Who would want to coach in this environment, except for the hope you'll be fired and cash in for not coaching. This is obviously madness that can't be sustained. Surely some kind of regulation is coming soon.

Should Rickea Jackson be in the top 10? Why isn't she?

Because UT is not a member on the NIL store, but these schools are:

Is this accurate? 2 players from Iowa and no Caitlin Clark??? Molly Davis only started 2 Games last year. And exactly what does, “Top Selling” actually mean?

Reactions: stllvf
Is this accurate? 2 players from Iowa and no Caitlin Clark??? Molly Davis only started 2 Games last year. And exactly what does, “Top Selling” actually mean?
I assume Nike has exclusive rights to Clark so her stuff is not available through the NIL Store. Top Selling will be either the most quantity or highest dollar sales from that outlet. But the issue is IF UT is not an associate of the NIL store no other UT athletes can benefit. Look at the schools engaged nany top schools has aligned with the outlet.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
2021 NIL was not part of recruiting. If you look at 2022 and 2023 where it is, we had one 5 star, Julian Phillips. Pre-NIL world, Barnes landed higher ranked recruits.
He landed some highly rated guys primarily TN kids before. In the early years at TN, he did not get any highly rated guys. Then, according to reports, he leveraged up NIL to get Phillips who was his highest rated kid other than possibly Chandler who was at a similar ranking.

THIS. SAY IT AGAIN SAM(Ifvol).

Was CKJH recruiting consistently multiple top players before NIL?

This program needs a great recruiter, coach and NIL program to win a NC.

Must win some to make NIL work. Look at recruits that football and basketball are missing, NIL alone is not going to do it.
She changed the assistants she doesn’t live with. And the new crew came with solid if not great recruiting credentials. It says something it hasn’t improved. It says something if they can’t raise competitive NIL funds as some claim on this board as well.

Again (and forever) I think we're mixing up true name, image, and likeness with a cash stipend, bonus, etc. just for signing on. Not sure how any player could be denied payback for use of their name, image, or likeness. That doesn't hurt anyone and is a good thing.

If anyone is arguing the guaranteed "salary" some lucky schools can afford, like the 25K the So Carolina players get, should be restricted to high performers, they are asking for locker room dynamite.

Getting a big additional signing bonus and perks is possible and kind of takes care of itself as far as who gets it. Joyce Edwards size cash and inticments only happens for the best players.
Oh? What was Joyce’s cash payout?

I assume Nike has exclusive rights to Clark so her stuff is not available through the NIL Store. Top Selling will be either the most quantity or highest dollar sales from that outlet. But the issue is IF UT is not an associate of the NIL store no other UT athletes can benefit. Look at the schools engaged nany top schools has aligned with the outlet.
Enough with the “Nil store” talk. There is more than one damned approved NIL cooperative store/outlet source. And many schools enter into exclusive arrangements with retailers and apparel manufacturers. That ranking was only for the schools in that particular nil store…..come on orange, you are better than this.

Last edited:

Commensurately, I feel a great deal more affinity for Admiral and Grant than I do those one-and-dones. Williams and Schoefield are part of the tapestry of Tennessee basketball. I don't bear the one year guys any ill will, but I also don't see them as Vols - and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't see themselves as Vols either.

(Cue someone saying that what I care about doesn't matter, or that being part of Tennessee's history doesn't matter, because that's always what folks say when you point out that sort of stuff).

Last edited:
Commensurately, I feel a great deal more "affinity" for Admiral and Grant than I do those one-and-dones. They are part of the tapestry of Tennessee basketball. I don't bear the one year guys any ill will, but I also don't see them as Vols - and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't see themselves as Vols either.

(Cue someone saying that what I care about doesn't matter, or that being part of Tennessee's history doesn't matter, because that's always what folks say when you point out that sort of stuff).
Program builders by Williams and Admiral.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52
Commensurately, I feel a great deal more "affinity" for Admiral and Grant than I do those one-and-dones. They are part of the tapestry of Tennessee basketball. I don't bear the one year guys any ill will, but I also don't see them as Vols - and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't see themselves as Vols either.

I agree with you to a point on the one & Dones. I'm happy to have them but they just don't seem like VFLs but I assume they've earned it. Like someone was asking me the Top 5 all time UT players and I gave my names, He said what, no Tobias Harris. I said just to be honest as much as I follow the Vols I forgot all about him. It's the thanks for all you did but we hardly knew you.

Reactions: Voltopia
A little more than that offer ya'll said LSU made her apparently.
Apparently not actually. But then again the “rumored LSU offer “ was never real to be real. As far as actual payouts, show me a legit number for your speculative Joyce number, which I promise you was way less than some portal players, RJ included, have received. HS players are not yet and may never be on the level of proven portal players. UT has some funds available, no way they get RJ or Spears for little. As for HS players, don’t believe the internet BS, the money is way below what you read on the net. And any money the HS players receive comes from the same pot of funds that pay portal transfers. UT does well in the portal, there is money being spent there.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Apparently not actually. But then again the “rumored LSU offer “ was never real to be real. As far as actual payouts, show me a legit number for your speculative Joyce number, which I promise you was way less than some portal players, RJ included, have received. HS players are not yet and may never be on the level of proven portal players. UT has some funds available, no way they get RJ or Spears for little. As for HS players, don’t believe the internet BS, the money is way below what you read on the net. And any money the HS players receive comes from the same pot of funds that pay portal transfers. UT does well in the portal, there is money being spent there.
I was just kidding really. Used Joyce as a metaphor for the most elite players.

Reactions: Rooster1

VN Store

Back