Facts about NIL at UT?

Enough with the “Nil store” talk. There is more than one damned approved NIL cooperative store/outlet source. And many schools enter into exclusive arrangements with retailers and apparel manufacturers. That ranking was only for the schools in that particular nil store…..come on orange, you are better than this.
Yes, Caitlin Clark just today or yesterday signed a deal with Gatorade. She has 3 or 4 other deals also.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Yes, Caitlin Clark just today or yesterday signed a deal with Gatorade. She has 3 or 4 other deals also.
Well, that is beside the point being made, but yes, players can and do sign exclusive contracts separate from their schools. Those funds do not go into a shared pool as Orange stated correctly.

Many of the highest profile players do enter into such contracts, but also witness Paige who has not for this particular NIL opportunity as her NIL merchandise seems to be available on the general site for her school, but I would surmise her cut is close to 100% there (and she does have many exclusive deals also) but that is pure thought speculation as far as the cut she gets on the team site, she may be a very generous type, I suspect she is.

Don’t think for a minute this is a dig on any player who chooses to go exclusive, and tbh, I would not blame them. The schools usually keep the number rights in most cases, but with Paige, who I respect a bunch and think a lot of, I would not be surprised if she is spreading the wealth to her teammates.

Like everything in life, the terms and conditions for every opportunity vary, and schools and players work together to maximize obviously.

Last edited:
Well, that is beside the point being made, but yes, players can and do sign exclusive contracts separate from their schools. Those funds do not go into a shared pool as Orange stated correctly.

Many of the highest profile players do enter into such contracts, but also witness Paige who has not for this particular NIL opportunity as her NIL merchandise seems to be available on the general site for her school, but I would surmise her cut is close to 100% there (and she does have many exclusive deals also) but that is pure thought speculation as far as the cut she gets on the team site, she may be a very generous type, I suspect she is.

Don’t think for a minute this is a dig on any player who chooses to go exclusive, and tbh, I would not blame them. The schools usually keep the number rights in most cases, but with Paige, who I respect a bunch and think a lot of, I would not be surprised if she is spreading the wealth to her teammates.

Like everything in life, the terms and conditions for every opportunity vary, and schools and players work together to maximize obviously.
I do agree with you on a lot of this BUT there are high school players able to capitalize on this well before they commit to a school or make a choice. It’s not always about the school and also depends on the state. Look at Quinn Ewers or Juju Watkins. They had multimillion dollar deals in high school before they even made a decision and regardless of where they went or were going. Granted those are or were perceived to be generational talents but those are few and far between, but the opportunities are there. State rules for high school are also different. I’m not knocking you and super respect you. Also agree re Joyce. As someone who coaches I have a little to a lot of knowledge. A lot of kids are bought and can be, but not all of them. Most of the top 5 or 10 still choose where they want to go and it’s not always money. It’s not a concern for all but some certainly depending on situations. There are still kids that have given up a great deal of money to go where they want and play for coaches they actually want to play for. Many have not but many still do.

Also, I think what I replied to about high school was edited but is still relevant.

Last edited:
I do agree with you on a lot of this BUT there are high school players able to capitalize on this well before they commit to a school or make a choice. It’s not always about the school and also depends on the state. Look at Quinn Ewers or Juju Watkins. They had multimillion dollar deals in high school before they even made a decision and regardless of where they went or were going. Granted those are or were perceived to be generational talents but those are few and far between, but the opportunities are there. State rules for high school are also different. I’m not knocking you and super respect you. Also agree re Joyce. As someone who coaches I have a little to a lot of knowledge. A lot of kids are bought and can be, but not all of them. Most of the top 5 or 10 still choose where they want to go and it’s not always money. It’s not a concern for all but some certainly depending on situations. There are still kids that have given up a great deal of money to go where they want and play for coaches they actually want to play for. Many have not but many still do.

Also, I think what I replied to about high school was edited but is still relevant. And he doesn’t try to BS anyone, like many others do about their supposed knowledge of payments to athletes. I’ll wait and hold my breath until someone actually posts facts on the exact numbers for player(s) or any player in general. Lot of BS being spread so casually on the internet.
So refreshing to read this post. Cory gets it. He doesn’t try to BS his way through a thread with unknown numbers or internet rumors like many do.

Last edited:
So refreshing to read this post. Cory gets it. He doesn’t try to BS his way through a thread with unknown numbers or internet rumors like many do.
I try not to but sometimes I am biased just like any of us. I also know what I am talking about. Pat Summitt was my end all be all like many on this board I suppose, and I will defend her to the grave. Having said that, I will also defend the right of anyone else on this board to express their opinions no matter what it is whether I agree or not. Except for that one person 😂

In order to get a proven top coach in here it's going to come down to 2 things: Salary Budget and NIL Budget. You will not get a great coach without a NIL war fund to get them started.
lol so all you gotta do is tell a coach I’ll pay you a lot of money and give you all the money you need for the recruiting trail! You’re so smart, how did you come up with those two points by yourself!!
Stick to the lady vols threads.

a question re transferring, do players get a bonus re NIl? if their "contract with nil supporters is front-end loaded, and then they transfer elsewhere. That question was posed following Texas A&M players transferring.

also recognize that oil money in Louisiana and Texas Frankly, I'm surprised that Davidson College does not have a big infusion for both men and womens' basketball (smile)

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It’s good to see this finally being discussed. I, too, wish numbers were more transparent at every school. Then we wouldn’t have to decide who to believe or not believe on message boards. That said, I have connections within numerous clubs on each major summer circuit and spend my summers traveling the country watching the major circuits. You are welcome to trust this knowledge or not.

I know there are players outside of the top 25 who are getting 6 figures to sign. That is above and beyond the $25k+ that each rostered player gets at some schools. So that puts some good, not elite, players in the $200k+ range. I also know there are elite players living in downtown penthouses or similar arrangements on top of $500k or more.

Again, all that is what I know. What I don’t know are the pros and cons of having a separate collective for a particular team versus being part of one that encompasses all sports. My guess would be the latter, maybe even by a fair margin if you are in the SEC. I would think 20-30% of the $ that SEC football brings in would be more than even the greatest basketball fan base could generate. But again, that’s my opinion. I do know that the larger NIL companies put on quite a show for recruits, when the ever changing rules allow.

There are a few schools in a similar position, so I’m not saying the Lady Vols are alone in this. But players and parents often comment how well the staff treats them in the relationship building process. You only have to look at the number of times UT finds itself in the final 4 or 6 for a recruit, only to lose out. There are only a small number of players who put culture or tradition over substantial money. I don’t blame them. The money isn’t there at the next level like it is on the boys side.

My apologies for the length.

It’s good to see this finally being discussed. I, too, wish numbers were more transparent at every school. Then we wouldn’t have to decide who to believe or not believe on message boards. That said, I have connections within numerous clubs on each major summer circuit and spend my summers traveling the country watching the major circuits. You are welcome to trust this knowledge or not.

I know there are players outside of the top 25 who are getting 6 figures to sign. That is above and beyond the $25k+ that each rostered player gets at some schools. So that puts some good, not elite, players in the $200k+ range. I also know there are elite players living in downtown penthouses or similar arrangements on top of $500k or more.

Again, all that is what I know. What I don’t know are the pros and cons of having a separate collective for a particular team versus being part of one that encompasses all sports. My guess would be the latter, maybe even by a fair margin if you are in the SEC. I would think 20-30% of the $ that SEC football brings in would be more than even the greatest basketball fan base could generate. But again, that’s my opinion. I do know that the larger NIL companies put on quite a show for recruits, when the ever changing rules allow.

There are a few schools in a similar position, so I’m not saying the Lady Vols are alone in this. But players and parents often comment how well the staff treats them in the relationship building process. You only have to look at the number of times UT finds itself in the final 4 or 6 for a recruit, only to lose out. There are only a small number of players who put culture or tradition over substantial money. I don’t blame them. The money isn’t there at the next level like it is on the boys side.

Long trust me bro #1 post.

Welcome! We appreciate brevity!

“ I also know there are elite players living in downtown penthouses or similar arrangements on top of $500k or more”

I‘m gonna need a little more info on that claim before I believe it. You don’t have to give a name, even if you did have one, but a little more information would be needed to make this qualify as truth for myself. I have seen all the internet rumors also, and I don’t believe most or any of them that throw around numbers like this.

“ I also know there are elite players living in downtown penthouses or similar arrangements on top of $500k or more”

I‘m gonna need a little more info on that claim before I believe it. You don’t have to give a name, even if you did have one, but a little more information would be needed to make this qualify as truth for myself. I have seen all the internet rumors also, and I don’t believe most or any of them that throw around numbers like this.
names are preferred for validity

LOL! It's killing your POV. You know they're not going to name names...
Hence…trust me bro! My POV is NIL is now the built in excuse for fans for a staff that can’t close. Not sure it’s killing my POV or agenda.

Hence…trust me bro! My POV is NIL is now the built in excuse for fans for a staff that can’t close. Not sure it’s killing my POV or agenda.
Hence…that’s why I agreed the numbers should be public. I, along with others in the club world, would lose all access if names were used. It’s not tough to figure out schools and players. Just look for schools that have no staff changes and suddenly are landing multiple top recruits. Oil, tech and entertainment $$$ are buying players. Not t-shirt sales.

Hence…that’s why I agreed the numbers should be public. I, along with others in the club world, would lose all access if names were used. It’s not tough to figure out schools and players. Just look for schools that have no staff changes and suddenly are landing multiple top recruits. Oil, tech and entertainment $$$ are buying players. Not t-shirt sales.
Again, built in excuse. Get the leadership right, the rest takes care of itself. If you’re worried about losing “all access” then don’t use your name here. I can only assume She Shoots is not your name, but never know these days. These numbers have been discussed but nobody can say with certainty because it’s hearsay on what a player is getting.

So speculation.

SMH-She's telling you how to figure out who's playing the mega-NIL game. Everything she's said matches up with what I've been told.

You're caught up in trying to get Kellie fired and won't acknowledge what's going in NIL that's hurt our recruiting. It doesn't matter who's coach if the NIL isn't competitive in the 5/4 star recruiting game...and we're not now. Heresay, or not, the money is what the kids are following...the name on the jersey or the coach doesn't mean that much anymore.

Again, built in excuse. Get the leadership right, the rest takes care of itself. If you’re worried about losing “all access” then don’t use your name here. I can only assume She Shoots is not your name, but never know these days. These numbers have been discussed but nobody can say with certainty because it’s hearsay on what a player is getting.
That’s what I’m yoddling!

VN Store

Back