Fields transferring

This is a crusher for UGA. Next season will be Fromms last year.

Ah who am I kidding they'll probably just go out and sign the number 1 ovr QB this year or next year
Fromm has no future in the NFL. He has hit his ceiling as a QB and lack the measurables and the resume to hold a clipboard.

Fields is the second 5 star QB Smart has run off and I can't see another high profile QB chancing it there. And yes both QBs run off had a higher ceiling than Fromm. Both have a real shot at playing at the next level.

This is the new landscape of college football. Play early or leave for someplace else. Coaches will have to recruit every player on their rosters every year.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
This is the new landscape of college football. Play early or leave for someplace else. Coaches will have to recruit every player on their rosters every year.
At QB it is, yes.

If Fields were at any other skill position, or any other position period, he would've been rotated in and out much more frequently.

It sure is. I just heard a statement on a sports radio show that 247Sports has only named 19 Five Star QBs since 2010. Of the 19, 11 (58%) have transferred to a different school after being beat out as freshmen. That's officially the "new landscape."

Florida state, Ohio state, Oklahoma most likely destinations according to espn article. Or he may stay at Georgia.

Not Florida State. They’re an absolute disaster right now. Their o-line is made up of uncoordinated Junior Varsity scrubs. No way Fields steps into that clown show.

And yet some are hoping he would come here...

Right now UGA is scrambling to find some money for the kid and his family. Or Smart is making a bunch of empty promises.

From what I read when it first came out, coaches can still block transfers in the division. But that is up to the rules of the division. Not sure what stance the SEC takes on this.

Wish someone would clarify this for good. It keeps coming up with no clear answer.

Wish someone would clarify this for good. It keeps coming up with no clear answer.
The coach, school, or conference cant specify or deny a player transfer. Furthermore the NCAA can allow the kid to play immediately after transfer (without sitting a year) under extenuating circumstances and fields may be in that window according to some and Tennessee had something to do with the circumstance.

This is nothing new to Vol fans...just in the last year we lost two QBs ...Dormady and McBride and before that the great Nathan Peterman and Riley Ferguson departed.

UGA folks tell me Fields has lawyer and is contemplating suing UGA for release (not sure what grounds), and that it’s not official but appears to have burned bridges. Who know’s but after 4th and 11, they’re about as in the dumps as you can be with a #5 rated team who will sign about 25 5* tomorrow.

This is nothing new to Vol fans...just in the last year we lost two QBs ...Dormady and McBride and before that the great Nathan Peterman and Riley Ferguson departed.
And Brandon Stewart and Brent Schaeffer and AJ Suggs and BJ Coleman and Nick Stephens.....

From what I read when it first came out, coaches can still block transfers in the division. But that is up to the rules of the division. Not sure what stance the SEC takes on this.

They can't according to national rule. Conferences do have ability to form their own bylaws on interconference transfers.

The sec bylaws do not currently have anything on this, so it appears it is accepting the national rule as of now. Might review it in the Spring.

Fwiw Saban has supported the new rule, just wants to keep the 1-year rule in place.

Last edited:
UGA folks tell me Fields has lawyer and is contemplating suing UGA for release (not sure what grounds), and that it’s not official but appears to have burned bridges. Who know’s but after 4th and 11, they’re about as in the dumps as you can be with a #5 rated team who will sign about 25 5* tomorrow.

Suing for release? There is no barrier to release, he just tells them and it's done.

Maybe suing to get them to sign off on the 1-year sit out waiver, some have to be supported by original insitution, but thought that was only for health reasons.

Suing for release? There is no barrier to release, he just tells them and it's done.

Maybe suing to get them to sign off on the 1-year sit out waiver, some have to be supported by original insitution, but thought that was only for health reasons.
No. The plan seems to be for him to apply for a hardship waiver based on racists comments from a member of the baseball team. In no way do I condone anything remotely racial but it’s clear he’s not transferring because of that so to me he shouldn’t be granted a waiver for that reason. He chose UGA and is backing out of that commitment because he didn’t get the playing time he expected. I have no issue with him transferring but he should have to sit out like everyone else. Of course in today’s world the word “committed” actually means “committed until inconvenient”. Schools screw kids over too.

VN Store

Back