Film study of da ducks

OrangeByBirth

Old time Vol
I watched the VA/OR game on DVR last evening. It was scary and eye opening. They are good. They are damned good. They are quick, fast, and bigger than I expected. Those teams always seem to wither under the size and speed found in the SEC. Well, that team compares favorably in speed and is about as big.

One thing that I did notice is that their offensive linemen take about 1/4 of the plays "off." On about half the plays all of them are involved. On the other half of the plays, the right side will just stand around if it is a play to the left and vice versa when it goes right. That gives them about a 25% rest. That could be a big key in pursuit for the linebackers if they can key off the linemen. The defensive line away from the play is not significant because they can't catch up anyway! They are that fast.

The QB is bigger than I thought but not quite as mobile as in recent years. He is also not very accurate when passing the ball. That might help the Vols since they don't tend to be very close to a potential receiver!

The bottom line is that UT will have to play the best game they have played in several years to avoid a thrashing. If so, they have a chance! GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 5 people
They need to maintain their composure over anything. They will give up big plays, who cares. OR will move between the 20s at will, just like Philly did last night. They need to buckle down and focus on making plays when the field shrinks in the red zone.

Reactions: 2 people
I watched the VA/OR game on DVR last evening. It was scary and eye opening. They are good. They are damned good. They are quick, fast, and bigger than I expected. Those teams always seem to wither under the size and speed found in the SEC. Well, that team compares favorably in speed and is about as big.

One thing that I did notice is that their offensive linemen take about 1/4 of the plays "off." On about half the plays all of them are involved. On the other half of the plays, the right side will just stand around if it is a play to the left and vice versa when it goes right. That gives them about a 25% rest. That could be a big key in pursuit for the linebackers if they can key off the linemen. The defensive line away from the play is not significant because they can't catch up anyway! They are that fast.

The QB is bigger than I thought but not quite as mobile as in recent years. He is also not very accurate when passing the ball. That might help the Vols since they don't tend to be very close to a potential receiver!

The bottom line is that UT will have to play the best game they have played in several years to avoid a thrashing. If so, they have a chance! GO BIG ORANGE!

For us to have a chance, we have to keep Thomas in between the tackles if possible. Get them in 3rd and long situations and force Mariota to become a pocket passer..which he is not.

I just want to see an improved team play 4 quarters.

Great observation! I feel like we will really know what kind of team we have after this game. I am encouraged that our players are not running scared and are looking forward to this opportunity.

Reactions: 1 person
They need to maintain their composure over anything. They will give up big plays, who cares. OR will move between the 20s at will, just like Philly did last night. They need to buckle down and focus on making plays when the field shrinks in the red zone.

This is key. Our secondary is weak so as the field shrinks we actually are better off defensively, IMO. If we can't stop them - we need to prevent big plays, let them grind down to the red zone and hold them to field goals. We may hang with them.

I hope our D Line smashes the O Lineman that are taking breaks. Oh you're catching your breath on this play? BOOM! Corey Miller just busted you on your ass. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: 13 people
I'm afraid we will see in this game that our defense is still not good. WKU moved the ball on us pretty well--400 yards of offense--and they are far less talented that Oregon. Our DBs will have to play extremely well. This game will show that we badly need some good outside linebackers.

Reactions: 6 people
IMO, there are three factors that must happen in order for us to have a chance at the upset.

-McCullers must make his presence known.
-If it's that zone read, blow up the RB everytime.
-Whoever comes in at QB must play well. (I'm sorry, but I'm not buying Worley right now. His accuracy and arm-strength are sub-par and he just does not look comfortable in the game).

IMO, there are three factors that must happen in order for us to have a chance at the upset.

-Whoever comes in at QB must play well. (I'm sorry, but I'm not buying Worley right now. His accuracy and arm-strength are sub-par and he just does not look comfortable in the game).

If Worley starts the game like he did in the second half of the WKU game im fine with his playing the whole game. Just really hope that JW shows up.

UVA is not very good. They were beaten 42-17 by Duke last year.

In the UVA game, the Ducks were 3 out of 10 in 3rd down conversion. They were 0 for 2 on 4th down.

The Ducks were flagged 11 times for 119 yards.

UVA threw 3 INT's.

Oregon is fast. They play fast. We all know this. They have a tremendous home field advantage.

Obviously, Tennessee must be able to run the ball and the Ducks will probably load up to stop us, they want to force Worley to throw. It's time for the offensive line to earn the kudos, we have to win on first down.

On defense it's much the same. McCullers, Hood, Couch and company have to pressure the middle without the help of blitzes. We can't have missed tackles and bad angles in this game.

I think Oregon will work to fix what ails them in terms of 3rd down production. Still, our best chance to stay in the game will be winning on 1st and 2nd down.

As is usually the case, we can't turn the ball over and we must avoid penalties in what is going to be a test of discipline on the road.

Reactions: 7 people
Get out with no injuries and a loss below 20 points I will call it a success.

This is critical IMO. Physically punish the option players.

We are going to need to be much more physical in the trenches. So far we have dialed up 0 pressure. Given we didn't exactly need anymore pressure on the two cupcakes so far. Our defense is still playing poorly. We still leave the middle of the field wide open. We had way to many runs for 5+ yards against us right up the middle. Not to mention no one can seem to recognize a RB screen pass. On the other hand. I think our OL is going to have a solid day. If we can stay in the game until the 4th we will have a shot. Our big OL is going to beat on them until they finally wear out some.

We are going to need to be much more physical in the trenches. So far we have dialed up 0 pressure. Given we didn't exactly need anymore pressure on the two cupcakes so far. Our defense is still playing poorly. We still leave the middle of the field wide open. We had way to many runs for 5+ yards against us right up the middle. Not to mention no one can seem to recognize a RB screen pass. On the other hand. I think our OL is going to have a solid day. If we can stay in the game until the 4th we will have a shot. Our big OL is going to beat on them until they finally wear out some.

Regarding your Screen comment, Daniel hood ring a bell? I thought he played the screen pass really well.

Props for actually speaking some useful tidbits on the OL and acknowledging the improved size of the team - but I can't for the life of me get how you make this observation right here. Mariota is the fastest most explosive QB we've had since Chip arrived. Perhaps he's lacking the shiftyness and wiggle of a Masoli, but he would dust him if they were in a race. And two early games aside, Mariota was an efficiency leader last year - and you don't get that by being inaccurate.

This is critical IMO. Physically punish the option players.

Bingo. To many teams commit to stopping the QB, and completely forgetting about the more talented runner and the one that the coaches want with the ball, the RB.

If you punish the RB everytime, whether the zone read, pass block or whatever...it will get in his head at 5"9 170lbs. IF we can catch him, we have to strip it.

It may sound crazy, but we want Mariota running or even more ideally sitting in the pocket.

Last edited:
Props for actually speaking some useful tidbits on the OL and acknowledging the improved size of the team - but I can't for the life of me get how you make this observation right here. Mariota is the fastest most explosive QB we've had since Chip arrived. Perhaps he's lacking the shiftyness and wiggle of a Masoli, but he would dust him if they were in a race. And two early games aside, Mariota was an efficiency leader last year - and you don't get that by being inaccurate.
No, you get it by prominently running the ball and only throwing short, high percentage passes. Fact is, the Ducks don't need to pass very often. If you force them to, it's a problem. That was the point.

No, you get it by prominently running the ball and only throwing short, high percentage passes. Fact is, the Ducks don't need to pass very often. If you force them to, it's a problem. That was the point.

Bingo.

Mariota vs Stanford (L) = 21 of 47

vs USC = 20-23
vs K-State = 12-24
vs Washington = 21 of 24
vs Oregon St. = 17 of 24

Reactions: 3 people
We are in trouble if we have to throw a lot. Our scheme is based on play action to set up the pass. It has nothing to do with Mariota's skillset.

The problem isn't Mariota, it's our offense is one dimensional and we don't use a scheme with a lot of complicated option routes that don't need the run to set up the pass game.

Make him beat you throwing it. On the option, take out his pitches first. Make the qb run and if he does, make him think twice about running it again. Have to lay the wood on him. Gonna have to open the doors to the big orange lumber Co this weekend.

VN Store

Back