Film study of da ducks

The best film analysis of Duck football is on the website

fishduck.com

It's worth going to if you are curious about the X's and O's of Duck football.

Reactions: 1 person
I would consider a loss by less than 20 to be very positive and further proof that the program is on the mend and headed back toward prominence a few years from now. If we get off to a bad start in this one and get our heads down there is potential to lose by 40+. I am convinced that CBJ si the person to rebuild a winning program and this game will give us a read on his game day coaching skills against a team with superior talent.

No, you get it by prominently running the ball and only throwing short, high percentage passes. Fact is, the Ducks don't need to pass very often. If you force them to, it's a problem. That was the point.
You're correct in that Mariota's #'s were inflated by safe passes last year, I think Kelly was smart to not put too much pressure on him right out of the gate considering that Huff playing injured left us without a "go to" WR.

IF Huff can stay healthy and IF Addison continues to develop then I think the coaches will be more comfortable this year with throwing the long ball if we need to.

Props for actually speaking some useful tidbits on the OL and acknowledging the improved size of the team - but I can't for the life of me get how you make this observation right here. Mariota is the fastest most explosive QB we've had since Chip arrived. Perhaps he's lacking the shiftyness and wiggle of a Masoli, but he would dust him if they were in a race. And two early games aside, Mariota was an efficiency leader last year - and you don't get that by being inaccurate.

They will throw more. Imho. They have played as vanilla as we have. The head coach stated at his press conference when he too the job that they will throw more. Why show it before us?

I watched the VA/OR game on DVR last evening. It was scary and eye opening. They are good. They are damned good. They are quick, fast, and bigger than I expected. Those teams always seem to wither under the size and speed found in the SEC. Well, that team compares favorably in speed and is about as big.

One thing that I did notice is that their offensive linemen take about 1/4 of the plays "off." On about half the plays all of them are involved. On the other half of the plays, the right side will just stand around if it is a play to the left and vice versa when it goes right. That gives them about a 25% rest. That could be a big key in pursuit for the linebackers if they can key off the linemen. The defensive line away from the play is not significant because they can't catch up anyway! They are that fast.

The QB is bigger than I thought but not quite as mobile as in recent years. He is also not very accurate when passing the ball. That might help the Vols since they don't tend to be very close to a potential receiver!

The bottom line is that UT will have to play the best game they have played in several years to avoid a thrashing. If so, they have a chance! GO BIG ORANGE!

Which part was scary??? The part where Virginia took terrible angles to the ball over and over??? Or was it the part where Virginia kept running those screen passes over and over that you knew before it was snapped was going to fail??? Was it Oregon's 3 or 4 3-and-outs and 4th-and-out???

I saw a team that's perfected a system that relies on the big play... A team that if you can take that big play away they are very average on offense... They are completely beatable by a focused, well coached defense that tackles well, pursues to the ball correctly, and anticipates well... Is that Tennessee??? Probably not, but I was actually underwhelmed from what I saw of them for the hype they get...

Which part was scary??? The part where Virginia took terrible angles to the ball over and over??? Or was it the part where Virginia kept running those screen passes over and over that you knew before it was snapped was going to fail??? Was it Oregon's 3 or 4 3-and-outs and 4th-and-out???

I saw a team that's perfected a system that relies on the big play... A team that if you can take that big play away they are very average on offense... They are completely beatable by a focused, well coached defense that tackles well, pursues to the ball correctly, and anticipates well... Is that Tennessee??? Probably not, but I was actually underwhelmed from what I saw of them for the hype they get...

We'll try to be less underwhelming for you on Saturday. Hopefully we can score on every drive and really prove to you that we are what we are quacked up to be.

Reactions: 1 person
I watched the VA/OR game on DVR last evening. It was scary and eye opening. They are good. They are damned good. They are quick, fast, and bigger than I expected. Those teams always seem to wither under the size and speed found in the SEC. Well, that team compares favorably in speed and is about as big.

GO BIG ORANGE!

What a surprise! The #2 team in the country actually has good players. Just because a team isn't in the SEC doesn't mean they don't have fast/big players.:p

We'll try to be less underwhelming for you on Saturday. Hopefully we can score on every drive and really prove to you that we are what we are quacked up to be.

You missed where I added "for the hype they get"... Oregon reminds me of like the 2008 Oklahoma team... Really good team, but they were not even close to as good as the hype they got... Scored ridiculous points, put up 14 in an L to Florida in the NC game...

Conversely, if Oregon scored on every drive against UT, which is at this point a very middle-of-the-pack SEC team, I would be like "Hey, they're a nice team... Probably a lock for the NC game as long as they make it passed Stanford..."

You're correct in that Mariota's #'s were inflated by safe passes last year, I think Kelly was smart to not put too much pressure on him right out of the gate considering that Huff playing injured left us without a "go to" WR.

IF Huff can stay healthy and IF Addison continues to develop then I think the coaches will be more comfortable this year with throwing the long ball if we need to.

What's worse is that those "safe passes" still resulted in big yards if not a TD.

Someone needs to hit the QB every play!

Wrong. Even people that have ran similar systems have said the opposite. Hit the RB and maintain gaps. In order for speed to be really effective, you need space which generally comes from a defense over collapsing. To beat Oregon you need discipline. If we take the right angles, stick to the game plan and TACKLE then we got a solid shot. Don't forget, they have a first year coach as well who is likely out to prove he can leave his mark without Chip but so far he is looking top notch.

You missed where I added "for the hype they get"... Oregon reminds me of like the 2008 Oklahoma team... Really good team, but they were not even close to as good as the hype they got... Scored ridiculous points, put up 14 in an L to Florida in the NC game...

Conversely, if Oregon scored on every drive against UT, which is at this point a very middle-of-the-pack SEC team, I would be like "Hey, they're a nice team... Probably a lock for the NC game as long as they make it passed Stanford..."

I doubt we **** the bed like OU 2008. I never expect our offense to click on every Saturday. Sometimes your defense has to win you games.

What's worse is that those "safe passes" still resulted in big yards if not a TD.
Yes, that was the point I was conceding. We had the luxury of DAT or Barner ripping off huge gains from those outlet passes and giving a freshman time to mature as a leader. I think it's a mistake to dismiss Mariota based on the Stanford game, but It's easy to understand why some are doing so.

What a surprise! The #2 team in the country actually has good players. Just because a team isn't in the SEC doesn't mean they don't have fast/big players.:p

What happened to all the nice Oregon posters we had?

What happened to all the nice Oregon posters we had?

I think they're still nice. Not gloating just stating the facts as they see them. Being nice doesn't necessarily mean making statements you'd rather hear (flattery) as opposed to the truth.

I think they're still nice. Not gloating just stating the facts as they see them. Being nice doesn't necessarily mean making statements you'd rather hear (flattery) as opposed to the truth.

I was referring tone/sarcasm not content.

They need to maintain their composure over anything. They will give up big plays, who cares. OR will move between the 20s at will, just like Philly did last night. They need to buckle down and focus on making plays when the field shrinks in the red zone.

Amen the team and the fans need to accept the fact the ducks will gash us sometimes. Buckle down in the red zone, every field goal they kick is a win for us. Everyone is saying the O-line will be the difference makers for us to win but I'm pinning my hopes on our defense.

Great write-up.

For those expecting to win by making Mariota pass, I'd hang on a moment. The guy completed 68.5% of passes last year while throwing 36 (I believe) TDs to just 6 INTs. As a freshman. With our best returning receiver injured most of the year. That's pretty remarkable.

His percentage has been down this year a bit, but it's a young season. Fact is, he has one of the smoothest deep throws I've ever seen. It's effortless. And in regards to Virginia, there were 5 drops off the top of my head: 3 inexplicably by our All-American tight end candidate, 1 by our new running back, and one by another receiver, I think Keanon Lowe. He had one bad throw when he overthrew a streaking Keanon Lowe down the sideline. But that's key: a bad throw for Mariota is simply overthrowing an open target every other game. His bad throws are never picks to the other team, because he's a smart passer. He had 6 all last year. Not bad, if you ask me.

Tennessee's strength seems to be that huge, all-world offensive line. If I were Butch, I would run the ball in hopes of absolutely tiring and demoralizing our defense. It's going to be a fun match up with our D. About 2-4 years ago, I'd be terrified of the match up with our D-line because we were smaller. Chip Kelly made it a priority to recruit bigger on the D-Line, and boy did he. Our D-line (2 deep), is quite large and athletic. I believe the measurements for the starting 3 are: 6'4" 400, 6'8" 290, 6'7" 280. If we're in our base 3-4. And our 2nd string is as big or bigger. That's going to make for really fun match ups on our lines.
What would have been a gross mismatch 3 years ago is going to be a huge strength (Tenn) against a pretty big strength (Ore). In my opinion, I think that makes for a far more entertaining football game.

You guys certainly have good enough talent and coaching at this stage in your regrowth to make a decent game of it simply on effort. Add in luck and Oregon miscues, and you have the coaching and talent to win the game. I really hope your boys bring their A game. I'd love a decent game. This sounds ridiculous, but Oregon wins so big week in and week out for the last 3 years, that I relish the close ones. Yeah, Stanford broke my heart last year, and I wish we won; but that kind of intensity for a fan is way better than destroying Michigan or Kansas State or USC. I won't complain if we dominate. But let's hope for a really good, intense, and injury free game. You guys have an ascending team, and after watching your games and other SEC games, you guys will give most of the teams in your league a run for their money. And I think you'll beat UF and eUSC. I'll be rooting for y'all after this one! Best of luck to your boys and welcome to our weird world of quack!

Reactions: 2 people
Great write-up.

For those expecting to win by making Mariota pass, I'd hang on a moment. The guy completed 68.5% of passes last year while throwing 36 (I believe) TDs to just 6 INTs. As a freshman. With our best returning receiver injured most of the year. That's pretty remarkable.

His percentage has been down this year a bit, but it's a young season. Fact is, he has one of the smoothest deep throws I've ever seen. It's effortless. And in regards to Virginia, there were 5 drops off the top of my head: 3 inexplicably by our All-American tight end candidate, 1 by our new running back, and one by another receiver, I think Keanon Lowe. He had one bad throw when he overthrew a streaking Keanon Lowe down the sideline. But that's key: a bad throw for Mariota is simply overthrowing an open target every other game. His bad throws are never picks to the other team, because he's a smart passer. He had 6 all last year. Not bad, if you ask me.

Tennessee's strength seems to be that huge, all-world offensive line. If I were Butch, I would run the ball in hopes of absolutely tiring and demoralizing our defense. It's going to be a fun match up with our D. About 2-4 years ago, I'd be terrified of the match up with our D-line because we were smaller. Chip Kelly made it a priority to recruit bigger on the D-Line, and boy did he. Our D-line (2 deep), is quite large and athletic. I believe the measurements for the starting 3 are: 6'4" 400, 6'8" 290, 6'7" 280. If we're in our base 3-4. And our 2nd string is as big or bigger. That's going to make for really fun match ups on our lines.
What would have been a gross mismatch 3 years ago is going to be a huge strength (Tenn) against a pretty big strength (Ore). In my opinion, I think that makes for a far more entertaining football game.

You guys certainly have good enough talent and coaching at this stage in your regrowth to make a decent game of it simply on effort. Add in luck and Oregon miscues, and you have the coaching and talent to win the game. I really hope your boys bring their A game. I'd love a decent game. This sounds ridiculous, but Oregon wins so big week in and week out for the last 3 years, that I relish the close ones. Yeah, Stanford broke my heart last year, and I wish we won; but that kind of intensity for a fan is way better than destroying Michigan or Kansas State or USC. I won't complain if we dominate. But let's hope for a really good, intense, and injury free game. You guys have an ascending team, and after watching your games and other SEC games, you guys will give most of the teams in your league a run for their money. And I think you'll beat UF and eUSC. I'll be rooting for y'all after this one! Best of luck to your boys and welcome to our weird world of quack!

Thanks for the kind words. Did you mean to say that one of your defensive linemen was 6-4, "400" or 6-4, 300? Incidentally, out of curiosity, are you planning on raiding California more extensively in the 2014 recruiting class, with the, presumably, imminent demise of Kiffin at USC?

Last edited:
WKU was the perfect warm up game for the Ducks. Petrino runs a similar offense to Oregon. Short passes that take advantage of one on one match ups. Short high percentage passes that rely on the receiver creating their own space and gaining yards by beating their man one on one. The Vols played WKU well on defense. Expect the Vols to give up yards. The key is to bend but not break. Force Oregon to execute on sustained drives. They're going to get their first downs.

Lets hope our O line can wear their D line out. Let's hope big Dan and crew can wear down those linemen. I think this is a pretty good matchup for the Vols. I think Butch Jones and company go into Eugene with a great game plan. I am excited to see where the Vols are at in their evolution back to the top. The Vols are creating the own identity this year.

Ha. I meant 6'4" 300.

I suspect we'll purloin a few more talented kids from SoCal. By all accounts, a bunch of highly sought after USC recruits were at the WSU game. Which was hideous viewing and inspired "Fire Kiffen" chants. The recruits were nonplussed and quite discouraged. They'll look north, surely. The only reason Oregon can be good is because we HAVE to get into California and abscond with a few big time recruits, along with much of the rest of the roster that comprises the majority of our team. Oregon as a state simply doesn't produce enough D1 talent.

LOL ! I love the Duckin Oregon Fans ! Thanks for being classy during Game Week !
Now we gon whip that .... awww screw it. I hope it's a great game !

VN Store

Back