Film study of da ducks

DuckIt, I wouldn't like being as good as Oregon and only playing a couple of competitive teams a year. We should be playing your schedule and vice versa.

Most posters focusing on Duck offense vs Vol D. I think the D holds up relatively well meaning holding ducks <35. I don't see this team getting tired and deflated and giving up big numbers in the 4th qtr which is how Oregon gets the 60 hung on ya.
The problem as I see it is Vols still lose because Oregon will sell out to stop the run and make Worley and young receivers beat them. I wish I could say they could but nothing I have seen so far says Worley and co. can go like 25-35 for 300 yds and 4 Tds. Hate the thought of morale victory but 31-14 would probably be a good game for Vols. I hope they surprise me and turnovers could swing that score either way.

Yeah, we Duck fans are awesome. Haha. And often droll and rakish.

Yeah, having a better schedule would be nice (though dominating AQ D1 schools is awesome). But schedule is often luck. Especially when it comes to "drawing" teams in conference. Look Alabama. They scheduled VT, and who knew a few years ago they'd be so down now? Then they miss UGA and eUSC and UF. Their best games are a one-man aTm team and a really good LSU team. Fact is, when a team like Alabama and Oregon have been clearly above the rest of the football landscape - the way USC and UT were, and Miami and Florida St before that, and Tennessee and UF before that - it's hard getting good games. Playing your schedule this year would make for some awesome football watching.

Admittedly, the best way to play Oregon is to have time to prepare. Look who's beaten us the last 3 years: LSU (8 months prep), Auburn (month + prep), Ohio State (month +). The only teams to beat us on short prep were Stanford last year and USC the year before. Those kinds of losses happen in a long season. Obviously, playing teams in the top third of any major conference that have more than 4 weeks to prepare for the Ducks will challenge the offensive system. It's all about rhythm, and Defense alwas has the advatage after a layoff. But with 6 days to prepare? Most teams are chasing Oregon with their tongues dragging. Look aTm and Bama. Bama is THE program right now, and the Aggies are probably overrated. If Saban has a month to prepare for aTm, Manziel is knocked out on his back. But if Saban has less than a week? You see what can happen.

Of course, on the road to the title, it's much better having the "easier" schedule. But as a fan of college football and not just my team, it's far better having good teams scheduled.

Man, I'm pumped for this game. I really enjoy Vol fans. You guys are great. There's a handful of them around town here in LA. Love talking to those bright orange southerners. Can't wait until I make it out to Neyland. I hope for a UT win over Florida!

Yeah, having a better schedule would be nice (though dominating AQ D1 schools is awesome). But schedule is often luck. Especially when it comes to "drawing" teams in conference. Look Alabama. They scheduled VT, and who knew a few years ago they'd be so down now? Then they miss UGA and eUSC and UF. Their best games are a one-man aTm team and a really good LSU team. Fact is, when a team like Alabama and Oregon have been clearly above the rest of the football landscape - the way USC and UT were, and Miami and Florida St before that, and Tennessee and UF before that - it's hard getting good games. Playing your schedule this year would make for some awesome football watching.

Admittedly, the best way to play Oregon is to have time to prepare. Look who's beaten us the last 3 years: LSU (8 months prep), Auburn (month + prep), Ohio State (month +). The only teams to beat us on short prep were Stanford last year and USC the year before. Those kinds of losses happen in a long season. Obviously, playing teams in the top third of any major conference that have more than 4 weeks to prepare for the Ducks will challenge the offensive system. It's all about rhythm, and Defense alwas has the advatage after a layoff. But with 6 days to prepare? Most teams are chasing Oregon with their tongues dragging. Look aTm and Bama. Bama is THE program right now, and the Aggies are probably overrated. If Saban has a month to prepare for aTm, Manziel is knocked out on his back. But if Saban has less than a week? You see what can happen.

Of course, on the road to the title, it's much better having the "easier" schedule. But as a fan of college football and not just my team, it's far better having good teams scheduled.

Man, I'm pumped for this game. I really enjoy Vol fans. You guys are great. There's a handful of them around town here in LA. Love talking to those bright orange southerners. Can't wait until I make it out to Neyland. I hope for a UT win over Florida!

Eh. I'll wait until later in the season to see if Bama and Oregon schedules toughen up. The only thing I can really say at this point is I wouldnt sleep on Ole Miss, Arizona, or Utah out of the two conferences.

P.S. Getting beat by a Kiffin coach team is not something you blame on a "long schedule" at this point. We all play at least 12 games. It's long for everyone, except the fans. Stanford was just a better team who had the breaks go their way much like ND did last year.

Last edited:
True. But mind you, this was also the team run by Barkley, Woods, Lee, a beast offensive line, and a litany of other studs when they had the chip on their shoulders following scholarship reductions and a bowl ban. It was also a let-down game following a huge win against our current rival (Stanford). And it was our first home loss in something like a million games. Those let down and law-of-averages games happen, especially when you let your guard down against a team with that kind of offensive firepower. I should also mention that we were a field goal kick away from likely winning the game, despite hitting the field to start the game as softly as a partly deflated birthday balloon.

As for Stanford, talent wise and scheme sise they haven't been better than us. And they weren't last year. That was just one of those games. Watch a replay of that game and you'll say, WTF? It was Murphy's Law for Oregon meets the best game all-around for Stanford in 3 years - including the Andrew Luck years.

If we play like we did against Stanford or USC, you guys will have a lot of fun. If we play our game, I see it turning out like 2010. Regardless, as is always the case for games against teams like Tennessee, I'm scared ****less.

Reactions: 1 person
How. If of a Tennessee crowd do you guys reckon will be in Autzen? I imagine a fair number. I hope a lot of you make it out to contribute to the fun atmosphere. Always fun having new guests in our home.

WKU was the perfect warm up game for the Ducks. Petrino runs a similar offense to Oregon. Short passes that take advantage of one on one match ups. Short high percentage passes that rely on the receiver creating their own space and gaining yards by beating their man one on one. The Vols played WKU well on defense. Expect the Vols to give up yards. The key is to bend but not break. Force Oregon to execute on sustained drives. They're going to get their first downs.

Lets hope our O line can wear their D line out. Let's hope big Dan and crew can wear down those linemen. I think this is a pretty good matchup for the Vols. I think Butch Jones and company go into Eugene with a great game plan. I am excited to see where the Vols are at in their evolution back to the top. The Vols are creating the own identity this year.

Then we darn well better not leave the mid field wide open as we did repeatedly with WKU.

No moral victories....i have had it with the moral victories...i want and expect to win this game and i sure hope the players do to...even if we lose in 4 overtimes i will be severely dissapointed...screw moral victories..those are for Vandy and Kentucky..

I learned some stuff after watching Chip Kelley's first NFL game monday night.

1. CBJ needs to point out to the refs before the game starts about Offensive Pass Interference bc sometimes on those bubble screens the receivers are blocking downfield before the ball is passed. That's PI.

2. If we bring a LB down outside of the DE on the opposite side of the running back, it helps with the read-option. It doesnt fix the problem all together bc that play is so hard, but even if the DE bites, The LB is playing a spy and can maybe get the QB. if the run a play action, he needs to start back pedaling fast for a thin zone in the middle or just go ahead and blitz.

3. THis offense is crazy! I have been running a variation in my sons' football leagues since my 13 yr old was about 8. It works at all levels. Send a WR in motion across the offense, helping you read the coverage, and the QB can call so many different plays from shotgun,, with 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE. There are at least 6 ppl that can get the ball really quickly.

4. Defense has to tackle well in space and stay with their assignment, Heros show weak spots when they do more than their assignment.

5. The defense is gonna have a load on it's hands but the offense is gonna be the most pressed. We run a slower version of what they cover everyday in practice. Plus, our kids have been running it for one, they've been running it their entire college careers.

I just hope CBJ has something up his sleeve. I feel confident that he won't let us be embarrassed.

And if all else fails, We gonna destroy Florida next week! TURNOVER CITY! Guck the Fators!

1. CBJ needs to point out to the refs before the game starts about Offensive Pass Interference bc sometimes on those bubble screens the receivers are blocking downfield before the ball is passed. That's PI.

It is only pass interference under NCAA rules if the pass is beyond the neutral zone. Anything goes if the pass is in or behind the neutral zone. That's how they get away with it (it's legal).

Reactions: 2 people

2. If we bring a LB down outside of the DE on the opposite side of the running back, it helps with the read-option. It doesnt fix the problem all together bc that play is so hard, but even if the DE bites, The LB is playing a spy and can maybe get the QB. if the run a play action, he needs to start back pedaling fast for a thin zone in the middle or just go ahead and blitz.

3. THis offense is crazy! I have been running a variation in my sons' football leagues since my 13 yr old was about 8. It works at all levels. Send a WR in motion across the offense, helping you read the coverage, and the QB can call so many different plays from shotgun,, with 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE. There are at least 6 ppl that can get the ball really quickly.

4. Defense has to tackle well in space and stay with their assignment, Heros show weak spots when they do more than their assignment.

5. The defense is gonna have a load on it's hands but the offense is gonna be the most pressed. We run a slower version of what they cover everyday in practice. Plus, our kids have been running it for one, they've been running it their entire college careers.

I just hope CBJ has something up his sleeve. I feel confident that he won't let us be embarrassed.

And if all else fails, We gonna destroy Florida next week! TURNOVER CITY! Guck the Fators!

Pretty good synopsis! The funny thing is, we're also intrigued to see what this offense can do. Sure, the scheme and team philosophy has stayed the same post-Chip, but when you replace a head coach and O-coordinator (albeit internally), you have to expect new wrinkles.

I've noticed that our offense has been super vanilla the firs two games (as one might expect against inferior opponents). Because of that, I think most Duck fans are curious to see what kind of new plays we have in store. I mean, it won't ALL be the same. There has to be new material. So in many ways, your guess is as good as our in regards to what is called against a quality opponent. It'll be a really fun chess match between Helfrich and Jones as they get a feel for one another's tendencies.

Great write-up.

For those expecting to win by making Mariota pass, I'd hang on a moment. The guy completed 68.5% of passes last year while throwing 36 (I believe) TDs to just 6 INTs. As a freshman. With our best returning receiver injured most of the year. That's pretty remarkable.

His percentage has been down this year a bit, but it's a young season. Fact is, he has one of the smoothest deep throws I've ever seen. It's effortless. And in regards to Virginia, there were 5 drops off the top of my head: 3 inexplicably by our All-American tight end candidate, 1 by our new running back, and one by another receiver, I think Keanon Lowe. He had one bad throw when he overthrew a streaking Keanon Lowe down the sideline. But that's key: a bad throw for Mariota is simply overthrowing an open target every other game. His bad throws are never picks to the other team, because he's a smart passer. He had 6 all last year. Not bad, if you ask me.

Tennessee's strength seems to be that huge, all-world offensive line. If I were Butch, I would run the ball in hopes of absolutely tiring and demoralizing our defense. It's going to be a fun match up with our D. About 2-4 years ago, I'd be terrified of the match up with our D-line because we were smaller. Chip Kelly made it a priority to recruit bigger on the D-Line, and boy did he. Our D-line (2 deep), is quite large and athletic. I believe the measurements for the starting 3 are: 6'4" 400, 6'8" 290, 6'7" 280. If we're in our base 3-4. And our 2nd string is as big or bigger. That's going to make for really fun match ups on our lines.
What would have been a gross mismatch 3 years ago is going to be a huge strength (Tenn) against a pretty big strength (Ore). In my opinion, I think that makes for a far more entertaining football game.

You guys certainly have good enough talent and coaching at this stage in your regrowth to make a decent game of it simply on effort. Add in luck and Oregon miscues, and you have the coaching and talent to win the game. I really hope your boys bring their A game. I'd love a decent game. This sounds ridiculous, but Oregon wins so big week in and week out for the last 3 years, that I relish the close ones. Yeah, Stanford broke my heart last year, and I wish we won; but that kind of intensity for a fan is way better than destroying Michigan or Kansas State or USC. I won't complain if we dominate. But let's hope for a really good, intense, and injury free game. You guys have an ascending team, and after watching your games and other SEC games, you guys will give most of the teams in your league a run for their money. And I think you'll beat UF and eUSC. I'll be rooting for y'all after this one! Best of luck to your boys and welcome to our weird world of quack!

Overall classy post.

Your 6'4, 400 d-lineman won't even be able to walk, much less stop the run. :)

Most posters focusing on Duck offense vs Vol D. I think the D holds up relatively well meaning holding ducks <35. I don't see this team getting tired and deflated and giving up big numbers in the 4th qtr which is how Oregon gets the 60 hung on ya.
The problem as I see it is Vols still lose because Oregon will sell out to stop the run and make Worley and young receivers beat them. I wish I could say they could but nothing I have seen so far says Worley and co. can go like 25-35 for 300 yds and 4 Tds. Hate the thought of morale victory but 31-14 would probably be a good game for Vols. I hope they surprise me and turnovers could swing that score either way.

From Yahoo sports:

Starting QB Justin Worley struggled early against WKU, connecting on 3-of-9 passes in the first half, but he completed 80 percent of his throws after intermission.

Worley has struggled to be sure, but he's also shown that he is improving and can get into a groove completing passes. If Oregon sells out to stop the run and leaves our receivers in space, Worley has shown the potential to make them pay.

:hi:

Thank you for giving me a little more faith in UT's chances Saturday. Our D has been practicing all offseason against a UT offense that is very similar to Oregon's.

From Yahoo sports:

Worley has struggled to be sure, but he's also shown that he is improving and can get into a groove completing passes. If Oregon sells out to stop the run and leaves our receivers in space, Worley has shown the potential to make them pay.

Ifo and Terrance will not leave your receivers alone in space. We will "sell out" to stop the run, ie make your qb beat us. Our secondary will man up all game, they afford us that ability. Aliotti will be coming from every direction.

Ifo and Terrance will not leave your receivers alone in space. We will "sell out" to stop the run, ie make your qb beat us. Our secondary will man up all game, they afford us that ability. Aliotti will be coming from every direction.

You get 11 players on defense, or a penalty.

You can man-up against our offensive line. If you do that, I predict we will run the ball straight down your throat. Your linebackers can cheat up to help against our line in the run game. If you do that, you have robbed support from the secondary.

Your secondary may be spectacular. They will have to be, because pretty much any secondary, on an island, all game long, will struggle to shut down an offense-- especially considering the size of our receivers.

I am not predicting a UT romp. I am saying that these are the laws of football physics. You get 11 players. You have to make certain concessions on what asignments to give them. If that concession is stopping the run, our passing game gets easier.

those boys are used to being on an island. Nothing new. you had size in your receivers last game. that didn't do a whole lot then and we have better corners now.

those boys are used to being on an island. Nothing new. you had size in your receivers last game. that didn't do a whole lot then and we have better corners now.

We scored 52 points in the last game and completed over 80% of our passes in the 2nd half.

So, Oregon is used to having to stack 8 men in the box to stop the run? Cool. I feel better already if your defensive line is that weak.

We scored 52 points in the last game and completed over 80% of our passes in the 2nd half.

So, Oregon is used to having to stack 8 men in the box to stop the run? Cool. I feel better already if your defensive line is that weak.

Against who? Lol....I'd feel a whole lot better about that performance if it was against Kentucky, not the Little Sisters of the Poor.

stacking the box has nothing to do with our defensive line being weak. we want to stuff the run and hit the quarterback. of course we won't go all out til the second half. we will get a feel for the game and then rock that joint.

we make excellent adjustments then....... whoops, remember?

although I will say that makes me a little happy, I don't want you to just roll over and die. I would like a competitive first half at least.

Against who? Lol....I'd feel a whole lot better about that performance if it was against Kentucky, not the Little Sisters of the Poor.

stacking the box has nothing to do with our defensive line being weak. we want to stuff the run and hit the quarterback. of course we won't go all out til the second half. we will get a feel for the game and then rock that joint.

we make excellent adjustments then....... whoops, remember?

So you would consider it a better accomplishment if we had done it against Kentucky instead of the team that beat Kentucky the week prior? Interesting take I guess. It looks like you are showing your lack of football knowledge outside of Oregon.

Oregon doesn't have to sell out with 8 to stop the run. We can though. We have the best cornerback tandem in CFB. Likewise, the dline is stout.

So you would consider it a better accomplishment if we had done it against Kentucky instead of the team that beat Kentucky the week prior? Interesting take I guess. It looks like you are showing your lack of football knowledge outside of Oregon.

Portland Duck is a bit more of a conceded jerk than most of his feathered friends on here, you kinda just have to ignore him.

He walks around with his green and yellow colored glasses, just trying to stir up the site. There are some really great fans in any fanbase, and then there are ppl like PD.

If he was really so confident, would he need to come to this site and talk trash all week?

IF Tennessee were a #2 team right now, playing an unranked/ depleted Oregon team, there is no way in hell I would belittle myself by going to their site and talking down to every loyal Oregon fan like they have no chance to win.

That's why they play the game, PD. Upsets happen every week. Do I think we will win, probably not, but do I hope we will? YES!

If we do, you'd better come back and eat your crow. At least save some of your dignity and gain a little of the respect you have lost so far.

VN Store

Back