First They Came for the Confederate Statues, Then they came for the...

So the Jefferson Davis statue put up in 1964 in Memphis was history?
It was likely for purely intimidation purposes. As I’ve already stated about the statues and schools that went up in the 50’s & 60’s - repeatedly.

You said “20th century statues aren’t history”.

I said I found that odd.

I'd agree at that point, a statue near Rome, GA assuming that it wasn't put up in a courthouse area in the 1950s/60s could have some historic significance.

If a statue was placed in Valdosta in 1960, I'd say that is not for historic purposes.
Agreed. But most of these monuments were put up between 1900-1930s were they not?

Which coincides with the passing of a lot of the veterans. They were put up by UDC chapters. I have posted before about how in poorer communities, the statues are actually French poilus.

I'd agree there is nuance to the KKK discussion with NBF.

But in a 3 or 4 sentence discussion that accompanies the statue, that nuance isn't evident. "NBF was born... He was Confederate...He was known for Massacre of Fort Pillow where he killed lots of AA Union soldiers...He founded the KKK. He died..."

You put that on a courthouse lawn by the colored entrance in 1950s in an area where he never stepped foot.

We both know this example isn't history....
Not trying to be an ass about this, but I’d need to see that to believe it because if it says that about Fort Pillow, it is incorrect. If I recall correctly, NBF may not have personally killed anyone there and it it questionable the killings continued when he entered the scene.

Fort Pillow cannot be reduced to a few lines of discussion on a thread. I’ll not argue it here because there some (not you per se) who know little more about it than how to spell it.

Not trying to be an ass about this, but I’d need to see that to believe it because if it says that about Fort Pillow, it is incorrect. If I recall correctly, NBF may not have personally killed anyone there and it it questionable the killings continued when he entered the scene.

Fort Pillow cannot be reduced to a few lines of discussion on a thread. I’ll not argue it here because there some (not you per se) who know little more about it than how to spell it.
Was Nathan Bedford Forrest in any way affiliated with the KKK?

You arent being an ass. Just like the KKK, there's nuance there. But you ask pretty much every AA in rural West TN what Fort Pillow means and they will bring up the gruesome story. (I have a large number of family still in Henning area).

His role in Fort Pillow and the KKK can be debated but for those that only know about him from a school class or statue, you aren't getting that extra nuance that could be Missing...

Reactions: GroverCleveland

VN Store

Back