'24 FL EDGE Elias Williams (Mizzou commit)

Where are their holes on the DL?

Edge will be elite.
SDE good
Interior will be good (Hobbs, Weathersby, Eason, Duncan, etc.) I assume many of these young guys will grow into tackles.

Secondary and LB has been lack of development and not recruiting well enough. Although last years class seemed to have brought in some good players that just need time.
i thought we got pushed around by APSU, Florida, def Bama 2nd half, and Misery. Their best games were SC, KY, and the other scrub. Thought they were average versus Candy.

Bottom line is we need talent, moar.

you mean all the edge rushers Mike Ekeler is listed as the primary recruiter for?

Don’t get mad.

RG is a great coach but it seems he isn’t the recruiter he once was. He’s old school and kids are different.

At Auburn he routinely landed elite defensive lineman. Even Tennessee guys we pushed hard for we seemed to always lose to Auburn. We attributed that to RG. All im saying is it most likely was the shady cabin antics.

In 2022 we landed only 1 blue chip dlineman. Tyre West. Then two three stars (Jordan Phillips who has transferred out, and Jayson Jenkins who we all forgot was still on the team).

In 2023 we landed one blue chip in Hobbs and two three stars (Weathersby and Nate Robinson).

In 2024, we have Lindstrom and Heard as the only true DL commits.

Compare this with his classes at Auburn.

Because of this, we have a serious lack of depth along the DL and have to hope some guys elect to stay for their 5th or 6th year.

I’d never suggest RG isn’t a great coach and tbh he’s the coach I have the most trust/confidence on our staff by far. But the whole notion that he’s this elite recruiter hasn’t proven to be correct. Results have shown this so far.

Weathersby was a 247 composite 4*.

Lindstrom is a composite 4*.

Genuinely asking, who were the last elite DL recruits he landed at AUB?

i thought we got pushed around by APSU, Florida, def Bama 2nd half, and Misery. Their best games were SC, KY, and the other scrub. Thought they were average versus Candy.

Bottom line is we need talent, moar.
They won’t always play their best. Still young adults who need motivation some times. But most of the season, they carried the defense. LB and DB play is what killed this team on defense.

They won’t always play their best. Still young adults who need motivation some times. But most of the season, they carried the defense. LB and DB play is what killed this team on defense.
I think that we need talent in both areas. With every 'Cai Bates miss' or Elias Williams, or the other DL weve missed we make it that much harder on our untalented and young secondary. Esp when we play a mobile QB, our achilles, year 9,997

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
Garner's territory is Nashville in-state and GA and AL out of state. Meaning he has a say on which players get recruited by UT very early in the process in these areas. Looking at the roster and the players and recruits from the areas gives you an idea of the mark Garner has on our program.

you mean all the edge rushers Mike Ekeler is listed as the primary recruiter for?

Don’t get mad.

RG is a great coach but it seems he isn’t the recruiter he once was. He’s old school and kids are different.

At Auburn he routinely landed elite defensive lineman. Even Tennessee guys we pushed hard for we seemed to always lose to Auburn. We attributed that to RG. All im saying is it most likely was the shady cabin antics.

In 2022 we landed only 1 blue chip dlineman. Tyre West. Then two three stars (Jordan Phillips who has transferred out, and Jayson Jenkins who we all forgot was still on the team).

In 2023 we landed one blue chip in Hobbs and two three stars (Weathersby and Nate Robinson).

In 2024, we have Lindstrom and Heard as the only true DL commits.

Compare this with his classes at Auburn.

Because of this, we have a serious lack of depth along the DL and have to hope some guys elect to stay for their 5th or 6th year.

I’d never suggest RG isn’t a great coach and tbh he’s the coach I have the most trust/confidence on our staff by far. But the whole notion that he’s this elite recruiter hasn’t proven to be correct. Results have shown this so far.
RG doesn't have some of the advantages that he had at Auburn.

Maybe Ekeler is considered primary on 247 because RG doesn't care who he gets credit for and that helps Ek's career?

Are we seriously acting like because 247 doesn't have him on there then RG didn't recruit the linemen that play for him? Come on.

Are we going to pretend he hasn't pulled big-time DL recruits? Bradley, C Herring, Hobbs, West, Pearce, Josephs, Lindstrom, Weathersby, etc? And pretend he hasn't developed the group he was inherited?

Stop overreacting to "missing" a recruit that was never ours.

Maybe Ekeler is considered primary on 247 because RG doesn't care who he gets credit for and that helps Ek's career?

Are we seriously acting like because 247 doesn't have him on there then RG didn't recruit the linemen that play for him? Come on.

Are we going to pretend he hasn't pulled big-time DL recruits? Bradley, C Herring, Hobbs, West, Pearce, Josephs, Lindstrom, Weathersby, etc? And pretend he hasn't developed the group he was inherited?

Stop overreacting to "missing" a recruit that was never ours.

VN……overreacting???

Starting to think RG was never the legendary recruiter and it was more the cabin.
Kids have changed today. Many feel they’ve already made it big & don’t need RG-type coaching. Special kids really want to sign on the bust their butt.

I don’t necessarily disagree, but I am sure a variation of that exact “fluke” argument is made by other fanbases about us. We’ll see how they fair next year. Their schedule really isn’t that bad. I could see them going 9-3.

Yeah, Missouri has one of the better SEC schedules next year. I would take their schedule over UT's in a heartbeat. I'm not sure how they ended up it.

They and UT both play Bama, Vandy, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Mississippi State

Missouri plays South Carolina, Texas A&M, and Auburn (two teams UT beat this year and a weaker SEC team this year, all probably still rebuilding next year)

While UT plays Kentucky, Georgia, and Florida (two teams UT lost two this year) plus NC State opener.

VN Store

Back