For those who regretted the Butch Jones hire.

I changed my mind after they posted the press conference video, I realized then that we may have stumbled on to something good.

Reactions: 5 people
I wasn't happy about his "Best Staff In America" ! who the heck would have guess it was in cicncy all along? But Butch has Grown on me and I support Him 100% So Far he has done every thing right

Reactions: 9 people
I'm still taking a wait and see approach. While he's done some great things so far, it's all about wins and losses on the field.

Reactions: 8 people
Right now, everything Butch says and does is working towards a goal. Whether it's talking about his staff (he wants the best staff in the country); the style of play; the athletes; or the wins, he wants the best, and he wants to be the best. I'm on board with that.

Now...let's see the product. I don't expect a certain number of wins this year. But I do expect to see a level of fight and intensity, for 4 quarters, from the Tennessee Volunteers, that has been conspicuously absent since at least 2005.

Do that, and the rest will fall into place.

Go Vols.

Reactions: 12 people
I am still on the fence. Yes, he says good things, seems to recruit well and has a successful background. But they don't give you wins for any of this. He has a big challenge in the SEC. If he gets us to the conference champoinship game after his third year it will be a really good hire. If we just stay in the middle of the pack, just more wasted money and time.

Reactions: 1 person
When Butch Jones was hired I had my doubts. After the press conference I felt better. Now, I feel better about UT football than I have in probably seven years. With all that said, I have "supported" every UT coach for over forty years. More than the coach, I support the football program regardless of who the coach is. GO VOLS WE ARE RISING TO THE TOP!

Reactions: 6 people
Cautiously optimistic at the moment, It is about the W-L's, personally looking for .500 or better. I anticipate .500 this year but would be happy if we pulled a 7-5 out of this tough schedule.

I am still on the fence. Yes, he says good things, seems to recruit well and has a successful background. But they don't give you wins for any of this. He has a big challenge in the SEC. If he gets us to the conference champoinship game after his third year it will be a really good hire. If we just stay in the middle of the pack, just more wasted money and time.

All I know is that it is an upgrade from the previous two coaches........So your not on board ? :ermm:

Reactions: 4 people

His product kind of reminds me of Urban Meyer....hate to say it but it does and that is a good thing for us. He wins were ever he is at...including conference championships....proven winner at each level....just like Urban Meyer...just threw up in my mouth typing that.

With that being said....we better get HCBJ on anti-depressants early so he don't have a mental break down with all of his success to come in Knoxville.....i'm just saying :dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
At first I wasn't sure if he got it. But gradually, over time it seems he not only got it, but has retained it, and now gets it.

Reactions: 5 people
There's no way to know until some games are played. Many were very enthusiastic about our last coach in the beginning, and we know how that turned out.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I thought, for literally that morning only, "butch jones? Really?! Who's that? We're doomed, etc" but that was it. Most of us were on that train (ainge and many callers that morning) but as soon as he had his press conference it was on like donkey kong.

Now I'm fully behind Coach Jones. But make I mistake, he has to win. Not necessarily this year, but we're not Kentucky. I expect 9-10 win seasons by year 3-5 or he should hit the road, sadly.

Reactions: 1 person
I do not expect much improvement in the win column this year and maybe not next (due to offensive and defensive line attrition). I do expect that we will see our team fight with all they have till the game is over. This is a big improvement over the last three years. It will eventually show up in the win column just don't expect an instant miracle.

Still a wait and see. I will say he has surprised me quite a bit with recruiting so far. However, it still has to translate to the field.

As far as saying whether or not he can get it turned around, I will say this: he can't be worse than Dooley and he'll at least have a decent shot at getting us going in the right direction as recruiting has shown so far.

Still a wait and see though. He at least gets a fair shake and will have my support until he proves he can't get the job done.

I am 100% on board with CBJ. The first knock on him was recruiting in the SEC he has proved he can do that. Now he will show everyone he can coach in the SEC and be successful at it. Mark my work this team will be disciplined, fundamentally sound, and not dooliers(quitters). This will lead to them surprising at least 2 teams

Plus he know's how to get the best out of his players so player who will not normally contribute will contribute. That means depth.

Last edited:
In the end it's all about the wins and losses. However that doesn't matter until the season starts. Right now there is a positive vibe around this program that's been missing for years, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 4 people
In the end it's all about the wins and losses. However that doesn't matter until the season starts. Right now there is a positive vibe around this program that's been missing for years, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I agree with this. The recruiting part is great but Dooley could recruit (see Patterson). It's what happens on the field that matters but that starts in the off-season and he seems to have the team believing.

There's no way to know until some games are played. Many were very enthusiastic about our last coach in the beginning, and we know how that turned out.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Do I think Butch will get it done? No.

But he has grown on me. Hard not to like the guy. I don't feel like he or his staff have the chops to get it done in this league though.

VN Store

Back