Former coaches you miss the most.....

I'm glad most of our former coaches are former. I miss the General! I wish I was alive to watch those teams.

I miss having a Tennesse guy coachng Tennessee. Someone who hates Alabama because he was cussed by their fans when he wore the Orange, someone who hates Vanderbilt because he got hit with a cheap shot when he wore the Orange.

Someone who had the team sing the same songs in the locker room after a big game that they sang when wore the Orange, someone who repeated the General's Maxims becasue he said them when he wore the Orange, someone who loves the University of Tennessee because it was his school.

Someone who was and is a VFL, loves the state of Tennessee, respects the traditions, knows why we are the Volunteers, is truly crushed when UT loses and is incredibly happy when UT wins a big game. Someone who sounds like a Tennessean in an interview after the game.

I miss having a Tennessee guy coach the Big Orange. I support Butch Jones and I appreciate his attitude, how he professes to love UT and how he is embracing our traditions. But I miss having a Tennessee Vol as our head coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I miss having a Tennesse guy coachng Tennessee. Someone who hates Alabama because he was cussed by their fans when he wore the Orange, someone who hates Vanderbilt because he got hit with a cheap shot when he wore the Orange.

Someone who had the team sing the same songs in the locker room after a big game that they sang when wore the Orange, someone who repeated the General's Maxims becasue he said them when he wore the Orange, someone who loves the University of Tennessee because it was his school.

Someone who was and is a VFL, loves the state of Tennessee, respects the traditions, knows why we are the Volunteers, is truly crushed when UT loses and is incredibly happy when UT wins a big game. Someone who sounds like a Tennessean in an interview after the game.

I miss having a Tennessee guy coach the Big Orange. I support Butch Jones and I appreciate his attitude, how he professes to love UT and how he is embracing our traditions. But I miss having a Tennessee Vol as our head coach.

You just described Coach Fulmer.

You just described Coach Fulmer.

Exactly. But, Coach Majors fit that bill as well when he was the coach. I supported them both and it just felt comfortable seeing either one of them on the sidelines and hearing them after a game.

They were Tennessee Volunteers and they were one of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
By no means do I miss Dooley's coaching, but I do think he was a funny guy in front of the media, kind of a smart a**, but funny. I wish one of our rivals would of hired him so i could keep up with his antics. and so we could beat the crap out of that team every year.

I know it's a new era, but I always thought Dan Brooks was one of our all-time best coaches. His resume for cranking out Defensive Tackles is insane. He recruited DT talent to compete with anyone. He is now at Clemson but coached at UT for 15 years.

Our desperate need for DTs and depth at DT make me miss him even more. It used to be one of our main priorities in recruiting every year. We would have beast after beast at this position and many of them went to the NFL and had long careers........

Cutcliffe and Chavis

D. Dooley
T. Taylor
T. Martin
J. Graham
B. Petersen
L Kiffen

and don't forget the guy that signs players and then tells them to leave so he can sign some more players.

C. Martin

Bowden Wyatt & Johnny Majors ... both hoisted more than a few in their day...quality coaches..quality drinkers.....

VN Store

Back