Former coaches you miss the most.....

I'm glad most of our former coaches are former. I miss the General! I wish I was alive to watch those teams.

I don't. I've seen the film and let me tell you: single wing football is enough to put you to sleep.

Nevertheless, I'm glad he was here to build the great foundation of tradition that UT football sits squarely upon.

Last edited:
I agree with the nomination of Cafego. We always excelled in the kicking game under his tutelage and rarely had to worry about being properly motivated when we played Vandy. I am somewhat surprised that Kippy Brown has not been mentioned. More than any single person, he was responsible for Tennessee being Wide Receiver U. Anthony Miller, Tim McGee, Alvin Harper and Carl Pickens all benefited from Brown’s tutelage prior to joining the professional ranks.

With respect to Neyland and the single-wing, I am reminded of something that the old Alabama coach, Wallace Wade, said during an interview for "100 Years of Volunteers." Wade said that the General would "adapt to the game of football as it is played today and he would be just as successful as he was then. First of all, he would do a good job of recruiting and he would have his team well-prepared. He would win today just as he did then."

Reactions: 1 person
Exactly. But, Coach Majors fit that bill as well when he was the coach. I supported them both and it just felt comfortable seeing either one of them on the sidelines and hearing them after a game.
They were Tennessee Volunteers and they were one of us.

I miss seeing Majors on his show banging the lepruchon (sp?) stick on the desk after beating Notre Dame

Reactions: 1 person
Bruce pearl

at my office yesterday we were watching coaches hitting on sports reporters. NO one in my office even knows how bruce pearl is. we watch his erin Andrew episode on espn. Like 5 of the guys said we love how this guy talks great confidence to be a coach and not rub on Andrews! He was Mr. excitment really did alot fo the basketball program would love to see him back...just with his shirt on singing rocky top:hi:

Cutcliff and Chavis

I may take heat for this, but look what they continue to do. Frankly Duke might have beat us last year and Chavis continues to have one of the top Ds in the SEC every year. Again recruiting slipped at the end which lead to the downfall. It happens at every program with long Coaching tenure.

Brooks was another I would have liked see stick around

Others that should quit coaching

Sunseri and his staff, Lame Kiffin, and WILCOX(overated).

VN Store

Back