Friday weigh in thread (suns out guns out challenge 8/31/2025)

The biggest game changers for me were:

1). Stop drinking alcohol when dieting. Alcohol is just empty calories and inhibit muscle growth.

2). Eat 3 full, healthy meals that are high in protein, and do not snack! I used to have a bad habit of munching on chips or cookies late at night. When I quit doing that, weight fell off of me like needles on a pine tree.

3). Find a low-impact cardio exercise that you enjoy, like swimming, rowing, or walking uphill. Actually, just walking for 60 minutes per day has amazing health benefits, but you nearly double the calories burned if you walk uphill or on stairs. I injured myself doing high-impact cardio like burpees and high-knees, and that set me back. Now I make sure I get my 10k steps in every day, and that usually takes two 30 minute walks, or three 20 minute walks each day.

4). If you are lifting weights, remember your rest days! Do not lift if you are still sore, even if it’s been 2-3 days. Your body needs to recover. Just take a few walks instead, and lift the next day. Not only do your muscles need to recover, but your mind needs to recover from lifting as well. Lifting too frequently can negatively impact your strength gains, and injuries can really set you back as far as your goals go.

5). Don’t get discouraged if you have a week where you only lost a half a pound or less. Losing weight takes time. Don’t think of it as a quick fix. It’s a lifestyle change, creating healthy habits.

Ugh, when I started this message, I wanted to keep it brief, but I knew I’d fly off the rails! Sorry if this is too much rambling. Good luck to you!
I love all of this! Super relatable, down-to-earth info and encouragement.

Thank you!!

Happy and healthy new year to you all, and best of luck on achieving your goals.

02-Jan-23 184
02-Jan-24 158.8
06-Jan-24 155.6

For anyone that cares but doesn't want to read a year's worth of posts, after losing ~30 lbs in the first 4 months last year and pretty much maintaining it, I allowed myself to take a break since Thanksgiving. Gained about 5 pounds over the course of the holidays, but considering how much I ate I was really expecting much worse. Off to a good start this year and can hopefully get back to just maintenance after 2 or 3 weeks.

The biggest game changers for me were:

1). Stop drinking alcohol when dieting. Alcohol is just empty calories and inhibit muscle growth.

2). Eat 3 full, healthy meals that are high in protein, and do not snack! I used to have a bad habit of munching on chips or cookies late at night. When I quit doing that, weight fell off of me like needles on a pine tree.

3). Find a low-impact cardio exercise that you enjoy, like swimming, rowing, or walking uphill. Actually, just walking for 60 minutes per day has amazing health benefits, but you nearly double the calories burned if you walk uphill or on stairs. I injured myself doing high-impact cardio like burpees and high-knees, and that set me back. Now I make sure I get my 10k steps in every day, and that usually takes two 30 minute walks, or three 20 minute walks each day.

4). If you are lifting weights, remember your rest days! Do not lift if you are still sore, even if it’s been 2-3 days. Your body needs to recover. Just take a few walks instead, and lift the next day. Not only do your muscles need to recover, but your mind needs to recover from lifting as well. Lifting too frequently can negatively impact your strength gains, and injuries can really set you back as far as your goals go.

5). Don’t get discouraged if you have a week where you only lost a half a pound or less. Losing weight takes time. Don’t think of it as a quick fix. It’s a lifestyle change, creating healthy habits.

Did you, by chance, weigh your intake of foods, drink, etc. (water NIC)?

Did you, by chance, weigh your intake of foods, drink, etc. (water NIC)?

At first, no. I didn’t start weighing my food until 2022. I lost 75 pounds in 2021 without weigh food at all, but I was having trouble losing those last few pounds to get down to below 15% body fat. I started counting calories with the “MyFitnessPal” app, and weighed/measured my food carefully to lose those last few pounds.

When I began, I just focused on eating high protein to calorie ratios. An example I like to use is skim milk. Skim milk has 8 grams of protein per 80 calories. That’s a 10% protein to calories ratio. I tried to stick with foods that had at least a 10% ratio - chicken breasts, lean steaks, lean fish, shrimp, etc. I also ate lots of veggies, like spinach, carrots, cabbage, onions, and bell peppers. I would occasionally have a sweet treat, like every other day, to help me keep my cravings down, but it was always very small, like 1 fun size candy bar. Protein and veggies with every meal helps you lose weight.

At first, no. I didn’t start weighing my food until 2022. I lost 75 pounds in 2021 without weigh food at all, but I was having trouble losing those last few pounds to get down to below 15% body fat. I started counting calories with the “MyFitnessPal” app, and weighed/measured my food carefully to lose those last few pounds.

When I began, I just focused on eating high protein to calorie ratios. An example I like to use is skim milk. Skim milk has 8 grams of protein per 80 calories. That’s a 10% protein to calories ratio. I tried to stick with foods that had at least a 10% ratio - chicken breasts, lean steaks, lean fish, shrimp, etc. I also ate lots of veggies, like spinach, carrots, cabbage, onions, and bell peppers. I would occasionally have a sweet treat, like every other day, to help me keep my cravings down, but it was always very small, like 1 fun size candy bar. Protein and veggies with every meal helps you lose weight.
I weighed my food, kept my consumption to ~ 2 pounds/day. Now I don't have to tote a scale around, got better at estimating food weights but if I find I am gaining, I drag out the scale.

The idea is to eat whatever you want but to check (over)consumption by limiting food weight. Beats counting cals for me. Never trusted the caloric food indicators, they're too general and often misleading imo.

Reactions: volwindy
I weighed my food, kept my consumption to ~ 2 pounds/day. Now I don't have to tote a scale around, got better at estimating food weights but if I find I am gaining, I drag out the scale.

The idea is to eat whatever you want but to check (over)consumption by limiting food weight. Beats counting cals for me. Never trusted the caloric food indicators, they're too general and often misleading imo.

Calorie counting is certainly an estimation. You can’t possibly know the exact amount of calories you consume. Food industries are allowed a 20% error rate on their nutrition facts labels because the accuracy of calories and nutrients is so difficult to pinpoint. That being said, for me, it’s better to track than not to track. Estimation with measurement is more accurate than with the eyeball.

Reactions: VolTull
I'm finally where I want to be weight-loss wise at 240lbs(I'm 6'3) albeit with Covid by losing 10 pounds in a week with no appetite. I do however plan on sticking to,and watching that I eat less snacks, eat one good meal a day. Drink less sodas and more juices and water which I have been. Exercise will happen and does,but I'm focusing on the diet aspect.

242 is where I stand.... I was doing well,but had a bad binge eating night last night. I think that was a one off thing of feeling anxious and bored because I couldn't sleep.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
1/22/24 - 161.2

I’ve been bulking for the last 4 months, and now it’s time to do a cut. I’m aiming to lose about 10-12 pounds over the next 10 weeks. Ready, set, go!

Reactions: Pennheel
1/22/24 - 161.2
1/26/24 - 159.5

I’m hoping to lose about 10-12 pounds over the next 10 weeks. I started Monday. I’m sure that 1.7 pounds is mostly lost water weight, since I just started eating less. So from here, I’m hoping to lose 1 pound per week. Let’s go!

Up 4 pounds to 161 since early December. Adjusted my cardio to speed training and agility work. Been hitting the weights hard and eating 4500+ calories per day, mostly clean. Goal of 170 by summer.

Benched 225 11 times, then 265 twice at the top of a ladder. Most weight I've put up in awhile, but man it felt good.

ETA: sorry I missed Friday, as work has been chaotic and it slipped my mind. Plan on checking in to keep up the motivation and inspiration from VolNation

VN Store

Back