'21 GA OT Amarius Mims (Georgia commit)

When it comes to coaching on Saturdays there are countless examples of why people say he's just a recruiter and not a coach. He's actually pretty bad on gamedays but it typically doesn't matter bc the roster is stocked with more talent than anybody.
Talent that are all busts and that he can't develop which is what y'all say out of the other side of your mouth's, which is it? In the last 5 years, UGA has lost to 1 unranked team, that is tied with Alabama for the fewest losses to unranked teams in that period. In fact all the rest of the other teams UGA has lost to in that time period weren't just ranked, they were good enough to go to NY6 bowls. If Smart is a terrible coach, what does that say about everyone else?

My understanding is Mims simply cannot crack the starting lineup at tackle in Athens, unlike Webb who has been a flat out bust compared to his rating coming out of H.S. May hurt their depth, but he'll go to FSU or Miami and probably be all-conference in the ACC. Forgetting all the baggage from his recruitment for UT, I think he would have been a good pickup for any SEC team before the deadline, although probably first man off the bench at Alabama this year, which is what it was looking like at uga, so doubt he would have considered Tuscaloosa either.

Talent that are all busts and that he can't develop which is what y'all say out of the other side of your mouth's, which is it? In the last 5 years, UGA has lost to 1 unranked team, that is tied with Alabama for the fewest losses to unranked teams in that period. In fact all the rest of the other teams UGA has lost to in that time period weren't just ranked, they were good enough to go to NY6 bowls. If Smart is a terrible coach, what does that say about everyone else?

There are a lot of really bad coaches in College Football?

My understanding is Mims simply cannot crack the starting lineup at tackle in Athens, unlike Webb who has been a flat out bust compared to his rating coming out of H.S. May hurt their depth, but he'll go to FSU or Miami and probably be all-conference in the ACC. Forgetting all the baggage from his recruitment for UT, I think he would have been a good pickup for any SEC team before the deadline, although probably first man off the bench at Alabama this year, which is what it was looking like at uga, so doubt he would have considered Tuscaloosa either.

I don't think that was the only factor involved here. Mims was impatient for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the allure of a big NIL payday played a role in his decision. Given the importance of a good offensive tackle, he may be one of the highest value players on the college market right now.

I also don't think that the SEC transfer "deadline" (or the NCAA transfer "deadline") are guaranteed to hold up in court. There are no binding contracts or non-compete agreements between players and universities, so why wouldn't this be considered restraint of trade? The way the courts have ruled so far, I can't see how any regulation that limits a player's income will be allowed to stand, at least until there is a substantial restructuring of "college" athletics.

I also don't think that the SEC transfer "deadline" (or the NCAA transfer "deadline") are guaranteed to hold up in court. There are no binding contracts or non-compete agreements between players and universities, so why wouldn't this be considered restraint of trade? The way the courts have ruled so far, I can't see how any regulation that limits a player's income will be allowed to stand, at least until there is a substantial restructuring of "college" athletics.

I see that argument, but the rule applies to the member schools not the athletes. SEC Teams may not take a player from another SEC school after a particular deadline. Kids may go anywhere else. They may transfer from outside the SEC. Would be an interesting case and I'd bet $5 on the SEC winning it, but I wouldn't bet $10.

In 2016, Kirby Smart did not do a good job coaching UGA. Since then, he has changed the narrative for sure.

In 2016, Kirby Smart did not do a good job coaching UGA. Since then, he has changed the narrative for sure.
Year 1 can be a challenge for any coach, you're changing coordinators/systems, culture, etc., which is one reason that I think we've got every right to feel good about where we are at. As to Kirby though, while I think he's a little scheming bastard and overall douche-canoe, denying he is a formidable coach/opponent at this point just seems foolish.

Year 1 can be a challenge for any coach, you're changing coordinators/systems, culture, etc., which is one reason that I think we've got every right to feel good about where we are at. As to Kirby though, while I think he's a little scheming bastard and overall douche-canoe, denying he is a formidable coach/opponent at this point just seems foolish.

True but the stuff at the end of games in 2016 was just bad. They lost 3 games that they had won and should have lost to Mizzou and Nichols State due to his coaching blunders at the end as well.

Still debateable whether he's a good coach at the end of games but if you blow everyone out, that doesn't matter.

I was just poking at you. Yes, he's an elite coach. If he's not, there is going to be hell to pay if he becomes one.
Outside of their talent, I think the biggest thing going for Smart is that Florida AND Tennessee have been down for the most part and their cross-division rival Auburn hasn't been stellar either. Those are the only teams on their schedule that have the potential to consistently challenge them. I do think we will be on our way to challenge them. Heupel had the perfect gameplan, just didn't have the horses and execution to knock them off.

Last edited:
You do realize that most of this stuff happened 3 years ago. Why not find so current information if you want to post trash.

I just found out about it today and I posted my reaction and not the information itself.

You're cool with that? Yeah dudes a scumbag for life in my book although some betas might be into that.

You do you though lol

I don't think that was the only factor involved here. Mims was impatient for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the allure of a big NIL payday played a role in his decision. Given the importance of a good offensive tackle, he may be one of the highest value players on the college market right now.

Former Vanderbilt LT is better.

Outside of their talent, I think the biggest thing going for Smart is that Florida AND Tennessee have been down for the most part and their cross-division rival Auburn hasn't been stellar either. Those are the only teams on their schedule that have the potential to consistently challenge them. I do think we will be on our way to challenge them. Heupel had the perfect gameplan, just didn't have the horses and execution to knock them off.
Tennessee's been down for sure but Florida had 3 pretty good teams in a row under Mullen and Smart won 2 of those 3. UGA also beat Auburn in two different seasons where Auburn beat Bama so they weren't that bad. Overall, I think they are like 15-7 against the top 10 under Smart which is pretty good. I think people just got it in their head that he sucked after one year, but there's alot more data to the contrary since.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back