'21 GA OT Amarius Mims (Georgia commit)

UGA had another 5* OL hit the portal today as well.

Clay Webb, Georgia, Offensive Line (247sports.com)

It's well past the deadline to transfer within conference, so I'm not thinking he comes here, I just thought it interesting that UGA lost two former 5* OL today.

I was expecting OL attrition after UGA signed 5 OL in the 2022 class, which left us with potentially 21 offensive linemen on roster next year (too many). Three have left so far, Owen Condon, Clay Webb, and Amarius Mims, none really surprising based on what's been reported over the last few months.

I have some empathy for Webb's and Condon's situations. They've spent three and four seasons, respectively, at UGA and have virtually nothing to show for it. I guess possibly that doesn't bode well for their future in football but, if they want to proceed, now is the time to make a move.

As for Mims, he spent just over a year in college and got impatient that he wasn't already named a starter. At one time that would have been considered absurd, especially for an offensive lineman, but now it's par for the course. Every HS 5 star expects a big paycheck and a starting job in short order, presumably followed by a massive NFL contract 3 years after HS. I don't think this ends well for the sport but, like everything else going on in the world, it'll be fun to observe for a while longer.

Last edited:
I was expecting OL attrition after UGA signed 5 OL in the 2022 class, which left us with potentially 21 offensive linemen on roster next year (too many). Three have left so far, Owen Condon, Clay Webb, and Amarius Mims, none really surprising based on what's been reported over the last few months.

I have some empathy for Webb's and Condon's situations. They've spent three and four seasons, respectively, at UGA and have virtually nothing to show for it. I guess possibly that doesn't bode well for their future in football but, if they want to proceed, now is the time to make a move.

As for Mims, he spent just over a year in college and got impatient that he wasn't already named a starter. At one time that would have been considered absurd, especially for an offensive lineman, but now it's par for the course. Every HS 5 star expects a big paycheck and a starting job in short order, presumably followed by a massive NFL contract 3 years after HS. I don't think this ends well for the sport but, like everything else going on in the world, it'll be fun to observe for a while longer.

Soooooo is Webb and Condon graduating in May?

Reactions: Vol8188

It's well past the deadline to transfer within conference, so I'm not thinking he comes here, I just thought it interesting that UGA lost two former 5* OL today.
That Webb guy is a huge bust, we wouldn't want him. I don't think he's ever played a down from what I understand.

Do you not remember his recruitment and the fact he is heavily rumored as one of the paid players that got Pruitt canned? Now he is leaving UGA because he doesn’t like his playing time? Where there is smoke…

There are plenty of other OL we could grab that have less of a tumultuous history with UT.

Rumored but never proven. Maybe he doesn’t like his playing time. Maybe Kirby is a douche. Maybe their new OL coach is a jerk. I am sure there are things we don’t know. There may be other OL we could get but which ones are gonna be as talented as Mims?

Rumored but never proven. Maybe he doesn’t like his playing time. Maybe Kirby is a douche. Maybe their new OL coach is a jerk. I am sure there are things we don’t know. There may be other OL we could get but which ones are gonna be as talented as Mims?
Maybe it was the high school star rating that has you overrating him. He hasn’t lived up to it. I’m glad we missed on him.

Smart will surpass Fulmer as signor of the most 5 * busts.
I wouldn’t go that far. I think that a 5* rating means they are big enough and talented enough to start in any college program. For some they have been getting by on just being naturally more talented than others. Once you join a program with a bunch of people as talented you have to choose to do the work or find an easier place to go.

Smart will surpass Fulmer as signor of the most 5 * busts.
All I know is Smart gets a ton of people drafted and wins a bunch of games. I love that this kid bailed on them and this is one way the portal is good for the game but some of you guys are in clinical denial about Bowlcut. He's a good football coach, if he has more 5 star busts than anyone, then he must develop pretty good (something many maintain he also can't do) otherwise where do the draft picks come from? They can't both be true.

Reactions: VolByLaw
All I know is Smart gets a ton of people drafted and wins a bunch of games. I love that this kid bailed on them and this is one way the portal is good for the game but some of you guys are in clinical denial about Bowlcut. He's a good football coach, if he has more 5 star busts than anyone, then he must develop pretty good (something many maintain he also can't do) otherwise where do the draft picks come from? They can't both be true.

When it comes to coaching on Saturdays there are countless examples of why people say he's just a recruiter and not a coach. He's actually pretty bad on gamedays but it typically doesn't matter bc the roster is stocked with more talent than anybody.

Reactions: barrylee
I wouldn’t go that far. I think that a 5* rating means they are big enough and talented enough to start in any college program. For some they have been getting by on just being naturally more talented than others. Once you join a program with a bunch of people as talented you have to choose to do the work or find an easier place to go.
That's not what the recruiting sites themselves say about a 5* rating. Lots of things go into the ratings and obviously things can happen that prevent even players worthy of the rating from succeeding. They project 5* players to be in the NFL. They're right around 60% of the time so that's not terrible. But they miss quite a bit too and as often as not because they have a false perception about a particular player's talent.

That's the dude that put semen in a bottle of Gatorade for another kid to drink. He should be in jail.

When it comes to coaching on Saturdays there are countless examples of why people say he's just a recruiter and not a coach. He's actually pretty bad on gamedays but it typically doesn't matter bc the roster is stocked with more talent than anybody.

People said the same about Fulmer. Two facts people should keep in mind. First, recruiting is an essential part of college football coaching. If you do it well it helps, if you’re not very good at it it’s going to make the job almost impossible for high level success. Second, the team with the most points wins. Does it make a difference how or why you got the most? IMO, it makes no difference. Didn’t bother me when they said that about Fulmer, we were winning. Same with Kirby Smart. I’m not a fan of his, but gotta give credit where credit is due. The same people who celebrate our 98 championship over FSU with a 2nd or 3rd string QB are the same ones trying to throw shade at K Smart for beating a depleted Bama team.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back